Curse of the Billy Goat

Be Good

I always hear of "The Curse of the Billy Goat" but never what exactly it was. Untill today when a new student in class told me he was a Cubs fan, which isn't very common in NY. He said that that last time the Cubs were in the Series (1947 I think he said) that a fan wanted to bring his goat to promote his bar "Billy Goat Tavern". When the Cubs didn't let him in with the goat he cursed the team (some greek curse) that they would never win a world series or get to one. I just thought it was pretty intresting. I was searching for web pages on this but couldn't find anything good, and was wondering if anyone knows if there is any web pages on this?

Also he said, which I thought was total BS: Cubs fans dont hate the White Sox . Only White Sox fans hate the Cubs.

Actually I'd say more White Sox fans hate Cubs fans. Hell most Cub fans I know really don't care about the Sox and to be honest I really don't care much about the Cubs either. The only reason I don't want them to win it all is simply because they share the town with Chicago and it would be bad in the sense the Sox would never draw and they would get hurt in attendance which is what helps them at least have a decent payroll.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Just to clarify, the Cubs were last in the World Series in 1945--they played the Tigers.

The only reason for that was that all the good players were off fighting the war. These were basically a bunch of replacements.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Anyone that honestly believe their team is cursed by a goat should go jump off a cliff.

[thread hijack]

Lol! I did that in a dream last night...actually I drove off the cliff (I was driving down a street when the street just ended without warning) and then floated around for awhile.

[/thread hijack]

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
[thread hijack]

Lol!  I did that in a dream last night...actually I drove off the cliff (I was driving down a street when the street just ended without warning) and then floated around for awhile.

[/thread hijack]

Falling dreams=scary

I think its bulls*** because the billy goat tavern has long been a cubs fans hangout, so why would the owner curse the team?

The original Billy Goat Tavern was located on West Madison St., across the street from the Chicago Stadium and about 1/2 block west. It sat exactly where the United Center is now. It moved to the N. Michigan location in 1963.

My dad went there a lot in the 50's and early 60's, he said it was a Blackhawk fan hangout and actually leaned more to the White Sox.

Sam Siannis, the original owner, wanted to bring the goat in for some pregame festivity at the '45 WS and thought he had something arranged with the media/PR people. He got turned away, got pissed off, and hence the "curse". Which, by the way, he supposedly "reversed" in whatever year it was ... '89 or '98 or something.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
The original Billy Goat Tavern was located on West Madison St., across the street from the Chicago Stadium and about 1/2 block west.  It sat exactly where the United Center is now.  It moved to the N. Michigan location in 1963.

My dad went there a lot in the 50's and early 60's, he said it was a Blackhawk fan hangout and actually leaned more to the White Sox.

Sam Siannis, the original owner, wanted to bring the goat in for some pregame festivity at the '45 WS and thought he had something arranged with the media/PR people.  He got turned away, got pissed off, and hence the "curse".  Which, by the way, he supposedly "reversed" in whatever year it was ... '89 or '98 or something.

Oh, they run a goat through there every few years to try to erase the "curse".

I guess now they're going to have to feed some baseball spaghetti to a goat now or some s***....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Oh, they run a goat through there every few years to try to erase the "curse".

I guess now they're going to have to feed some baseball spaghetti to a goat now or some s***....

I wonder what they do with that goat the rest of the time???

focking.gif

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
The original Billy Goat Tavern was located on West Madison St., across the street from the Chicago Stadium and about 1/2 block west.  It sat exactly where the United Center is now.  It moved to the N. Michigan location in 1963.

Sam Siannis, the original owner, wanted to bring the goat in for some pregame festivity at the '45 WS and thought he had something arranged with the media/PR people.  He got turned away, got pissed off, and hence the "curse".  Which, by the way, he supposedly "reversed" in whatever year it was ... '89 or '98 or something.

there is still a billygoat tevern at ashland and madison, down the street from where it was before. I know it was a big blackhawks hangout, but they appear to lean more towards the cubs these days. Overrated burgers.