Jaret Wright (there you go qwerty)

Dick Allen

This could be the White Sox lucky year. Wright seemed to be going to the White Sox this past winter until Steinbrenner threw a wad of cash his way. He has been getting lit up this season, and left today's game with a sore shoulder after giving up 3 long ones. His ERA actually went down today, and is a tad over 9.00.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
This could be the White Sox lucky year. Wright seemed to be going to the White Sox this past winter until Steinbrenner threw a wad of cash his way. He has been getting lit up this season, and left today's game with a sore shoulder after giving up 3 long ones. His ERA actually went down today, and is a tad over 9.00.

I was so glad that the Yankees outdid us on this guy. Wright had Atlanta-fluke written all over him. El Duque might not be healthy the whole time he is here, but I think we will be happy to have him over Jaret.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
I was so glad that the Yankees outdid us on this guy.  Wright had Atlanta-fluke written all over him.  El Duque might not be healthy the whole time he is here, but I think we will be happy to have him over Jaret.

Duque is getting like $3 mill this year or something right?

Wright signed for like 3/21....so while I will gladly take Duque over him, I will most definately take Duque, AJP, and Goochi over him too.

Call me crazy, but is this team, this $200 million team, in danger of not being .500, or at the very least, not making the playoffs?

The offense will undoubtedly get better, but if you are giving up 7 or 8 runs a game, it will be hard for any offense to win a lot.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Call me crazy, but is this team, this $200 million team, in danger of not being .500, or at the very least, not making the playoffs?

The offense will undoubtedly get better, but if you are giving up 7 or 8 runs a game, it will be hard for any offense to win a lot.

Carl Pavano is being judged by the Yankees as a good #2 or #3 pitcher because of his numbers from last season. But last season is about the only year where he did well. IMO, Pavano will get lit up in the Bronx. The only positive the Yankees may have is Randy Johnson. If the 41-year-old can stay healthy than he might be a 20 game winner.

As of right now the Red Sox and the Orioles have a much better chance of heading to the playoffs.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)

I doubt it. You know RJ and Mussina will get the job done for you, but there are question marks after that. But they're the Yankees, and they'll turn it around.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 05:34 AM)
I doubt it. You know RJ and Mussina will get the job done for you, but there are question marks after that. But they're the Yankees, and they'll turn it around.

I am penciling Mussina in for a 13-10 4.50 ERA season right now, because at his age and with his declining stuff, he'd be lucky to put up better numbers then that

RJ will probably win 18-20 games still - that I do not question. And I like Pavano a lot...I think he will probably be a solid 17 game winner for them with an ERA right around 4.00

But the last 2 are very shaky, the offense has aged incredibly quickly, and while it is still solid, it is not nearly as dangerous as it once was, and the pen is showing signs of weakness.

Somehow, I'm not sold on the Yankees, and I'm not completely sold on Joe Torre remaining manager until the end of the year. I am not sure they are even the 2nd best team in the division right now, and that may not even matter, as it looks like both the Twins and Sox could be 90+ win teams as of right now, if not even more then that.

I honestly think that they won't make the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

Cashman admitted in print that he goofed on re-signing Jon Lieber.

He tried to go cheap, didn't want to pay him 8 mil.

Phillies get him for 7 mil per, and he's 4-0 so far, anchoring the Phils' staff.

Good for them! They throw money at every player on the market and then they try to cheap out on a guy like Lieber?

Stupid....

Fyi, Mussina's WHIP is over 2 right now. That will undoubtedly improve, but he's in his decline phase. Kevin Brown is not the pitcher he used to be, either.

I heard Gammons saying that a lot of veterans who spend ST in Florida were having problems early because of crappy weather. So we maybe should give them a couple more weeks.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Cashman admitted in print that he goofed on re-signing Jon Lieber.

He tried to go cheap, didn't want to pay him 8 mil.

Phillies get him for 7 mil per, and he's 4-0 so far, anchoring the Phils' staff.

Good for them! They throw money at every player on the market and then they try to cheap out on a guy like Lieber?

Stupid....

Leiber's a pro. I wish we could have gotten him for ELo instead of Contreras.