Bears Draft Grade

What grade would you give the Bears draft overall?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the Bears draft overall?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave them a B, I think they really dropped the ball on passing on Mike Williams... and than if they didnt think Thomas Jones was the man J.J. Arrington was available in the 2nd round. But if Benson turns out to be as good as Ricky Williams just without ditching the team and leaving the country and Bradley becomes a solid contributer still a good draft.

I probably would gone:

4) Mike Williams, WR, USC

39) JJ Arrington, RB, Cal

106) Elton Brown, OL, Virginia

140) Dante Nicholson, S, Oklahoma

181) Timmy Chang, QB, Hawaii

220) Cornelius Wortham, OLB, Alabama

EDIT: FYI, all these guys WERE available when the Bears were on the clock.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)

Don't let the recordbooks fool you, he'll never amount to anything in the NFL. If he ever catches on somewhere, he'll be a clipboard quarterback. Nothing more, nothing less.

Angelo gets a B.

I have all the faith in the world in his drafting ability. Although Cedric may not have been the popular choice, I think he'll thrive up here. He's just a workhorse and a guy that can get 30 carries a game, week in and week out. Some people think we had a good thing with A-Train, and that's fine, but Anthony Thomas will never be a Pro-Bowler. That is what seperates him from Cedric. Benson could become one of the leauge's primer backs in two years time. He has a chip on his shoulder and I think he'll live up to his billing.

Until Angelo produces a poor draft class, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, Kyle Orton could be the jewel of the class.

I think they had a hell of a draft. Benson will be the man here and Jones will be the change of pace back...not to mention you just need two solid backs now in the NFL. I wanted a RB over Mike Williams.

They addressed O line in free agency by signing Fred Miller and Roberto Garza. They still have Marc Colombo who I think will be back playing strong this year and provides depth at tackle, as well as Qasim Mitchell who can go tackle or guard. Ruben Brown is still playing well. Also there's Metcalf and Edwards wh are both serviceable.

They needed playmakers and I think they got them. Bradley and Currie can provide the speed the Bears need to complement Mushin. I also think Orton can be the steal of the draft.

Overall Grade - B+

I gave them a D

1st- Benson.. WE have a RB.. Wasted Pick.

2nd- Bradley.. Most had him going in the 4th or 5th round..

4th- Orton.. Only reason I didn't give them an F..Pretty sad the best pick is a 4th rounder

5th-Currie.. WR that IMO will not make the team

6th and7th.. Back up DB..

The Bears had a chance in 04 when they hired Smith to be an elite team in Football, but since week 3 this team is slowing going backwards instead of forward. ANd this draft further proves my point, All other Teams in the NFC North got stronger, we somehow stayed the same.

I don't see how this can be anything other than an A. They didn't even havea 3rd round pick, yet addressed many needs and filled 2 of their biggest.

First pick they get an RB that can take a full load of carries and has been mentioned by many as the best RB in the draft. He can block and run and fits the Bears system under Ron Turner perfectly.

Second pick they get Mark a very good WR in the second round. Mark Bradley is very explosive and can be a great compliment to Mushin Muhammed on the other side.

Third pick, in the fourth round they get a QB that was seen by many as the 3rd best QB in the draft. Orton is a huge kid with a canon for an arm. He could take some time to develop, but could be absolutely awesome. This is an absolutely great pick for the fourth round.

Right there they addressed the majority of their needs. Then the rest of the way they come away with another burner at WR and 2 safeties that could possibly contribute down the road. Even if these last 3 players don't contribute on offense or defense they will be solid special teamers as all of them have speed. Personally I believe the Bears did a great job and the organization actually had a plan in place and followed it to perfection.

I know a lot here are pissed at not getting Mike Williams, but damn get over it. Cedric Benson is a damn good player and Mark Bradley fits what this team needs more. We did not need a Mushin Muhammed clone on the opposite side of him. We needed a burner that could stretch the field and make some big plays opposite Mushin, and I believe Mark Bradley is better suited for this than Mike Williams is.

This draft is definately an A!

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I gave them a D

1st- Benson.. WE have a RB.. Wasted Pick.

2nd- Bradley.. Most had him going in the 4th or 5th round..

4th- Orton.. Only reason I didn't give them an F..Pretty sad the best pick is a 4th rounder

5th-Currie.. WR that IMO will not make the team

6th and7th.. Back up DB..

The Bears had a chance in 04 when they hired Smith to be an elite team in Football, but since week 3 this team is slowing going backwards instead of forward. ANd this draft further proves my point, All other Teams in the NFC North got stronger, we somehow stayed the same.

1st - We have an RB that fit the old offensive system, not the new one. Thomas Jones has never had a complete season and is often injured. Cedric Benson is a proven work load RB that is tough to bring down and some scouts say he is the best goal line back that they have ever seen. Definately not a wasted pick

2nd - I have seen him going in the third, but not 4th or 5th round. Bears didn't have a third.

4th - I agree, although it is not their best pick. Best value? Yes, perhaps.

5th - who cares, it is worth the risk, it is a 5th rounder

6th and 7th are guys with speed who will make an immediate impact on special teams and could eventually turn into quality safeties.

I don't see how Det or GB got stronger. Det didn't do much of anything if you ask me. Mike Williams doesn't even fit there. They just signed Marcus Pollard and already have Charles Rogers and Roy Williams. They spend a first round pick on a slot receiver? I find that kind of strange and a waste of a pick. He is not Randy Moss.

Benson a wasted pick cause we already have a RB?? Whatever dude...The Bears have a player to play every postion already so should they have not showed at all.

I'd love to see where you saw Bradley going in the 4th or 5th round. I have seen 2nd or early 3rd, but not 4th or 5th. They may have got him a little early cause they din't have a third, but I'll trust that Angelo knows him better than you or me. He has speed and great moves. He averaged over 20 yards per touch last year. I'll take him as a target for Rex.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
I probably would gone:

4) Mike Williams, WR, USC

39) JJ Arrington, RB, Cal

106) Elton Brown, OL, Virginia

140) Dante Nicholson, S, Oklahoma

220) Cornelius Wortham, OLB, Alabama

EDIT: FYI, all these guys WERE available when the Bears were on the clock.

Mike Williams does not fit the Bears' needs. JJ Arrington does not fit the Bears offensive system. Elton Brown? WHY?!?! Dante Nicholson?!?!? WHY?!?! Timmy Chang is not very good at all and Orton is MUCH BETTER!!!!! Why sign a OLB when there are guys available to sign right now who are much better suited to start for us? Warrick Holdman and Chad Brown are both available if the Bears need a LB. I would have shot myself if this was our draft.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Detroit and Green Bay got real value out of their 1st round picks.  Two weeks ago, Rodgers was supposed to be the number 1 overall pick, and Williams was at the top of Kiper's board.

Rodgers is no better than Orton in my opinion. Both of them will be sitting on the sidelines learning for at least 2 years. The only difference is the Packers have to pay first round money and take a huge salary cap hit while he is sitting as a back up to Brett Favre. Our first round pick will be running through their swiss cheese defense.

Williams is a very strange pick. Why would the sign Pollard in the offseason to go along with Roy Williams and Charles Rogers only to use a high first round pick on a slot receiver? He is not Randy Moss. He is not someone that you will bring in with Chris Carter and Jake Reed and just send him deep for home runs. Silly pick if you ask me.

Value? HOW?

I understand what you are a saying, that they got value because they fell further than they should have. However, if they don't fit and fill their needs how does it add to THEIR value? Their respective teams are really no better off today as they were before the draft.

Edited by southsideirish