What do you guys recommend (tickets)?

Hi guys I think this goes here but I'm not sure, but anyways, I am making my first ever trip to Chicago with my dad for a business trip and I have been a Sox fan for over 10 years now, I know why did I wait soo long to visit....Anyways, I was wondering about tickets, we are coming in May 31st and plan on going to the Saturday game on June 4 against Cleveland. My question is thus, since you guys definately know more about me tickets wise, what would you recommend I do? Should I just buy them off of the Sox site or is it possible to find cheaper and closer tickets somewhere else. Another factor that may hinder this decision is that we have 3 people going, and I know it is hard to find an odd number of seats beside each other at a sporting event. Thanks for your help guys, I can't wait to visit Chicago. :D

Speaking of that, where are some places to go, bars, etc. We are already going to a few museums there b/c I'm a nerd and like that kind of stuff, but yeah, anything you guys want to fill me in on would be much appreciated. :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

I'd try the Sox site first, it really shouldn't be that difficult to get 3 tickets.

As for places to see, I can't really say. I'm not a touristy kind of guy. I was 39 years old before I ever went up to the Sears Tower Skydeck, and I only went then because the Mrs. wanted to take the kid up there!! :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
I'd try the Sox site first, it really shouldn't be that difficult to get 3 tickets.

As for places to see, I can't really say. I'm not a touristy kind of guy. I was 39 years old before I ever went up to the Sears Tower Skydeck, and I only went then because the Mrs. wanted to take the kid up there!! :D

gramps... :P ;)

What kind of likes do you have? There are tons of things to do in Chicago. Navy Pier, Rush Street, Sears Tower, Hancock Building, and the Financial District are the main tourist things. But if you give us a few more specifics, we can point you all in the right direction.

Well we are only going to be there for a few days then heading south to Decatur. Hmmm....I've seen on Cold Pizza where they rated a sports bar in Chicago as one of the top in the U.S. but I can't recall the name. My guess is, it's probally a Scrubs bar anyway.. But yeah, stuff like bars, night life, etc. Things that I wouldn't find in South Carolina is basically what I'm getting at, which yeah I know it's a lot of things.

Rush Street is where all the bars are. You'll also find ESPNzone there.

Touristy stuff wise, the Sears Tower Skydeck is really cool, the Museum of Science and Industry is nice, and, if you like those sorts of things, you could try Shedd Aquarium or Adler Planetarium. Also, the Field Museum can be cool, depending on what exhibits they have.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Rush Street is where all the bars are.  You'll also find ESPNzone there.

Touristy stuff wise, the Sears Tower Skydeck is really cool, the Museum of Science and Industry is nice, and, if you like those sorts of things, you could try Shedd Aquarium or Adler Planetarium.  Also, the Field Museum can be cool, depending on what exhibits they have.

Isn't the ESPNZone just off Michigan Avenue, near the Virgin Megastore?

Also, my wife just saw that exhibit about the human body at one of the museums, I'm awful at remembering which one has what - I'm pretty sure it was the Field Museum. I'm happy for her that she got to see what the human body is SUPPOSED to look like - I'm pretty sure she'd forgotten, after spending the last 15 years with me.... :lol:

Oh, on a semi-related topic - if you want (IMO) the best Cajun food in Chicago, stop by Redfish! It's about a block or two away from the House Of Blues, on State Street....it's absolutely GREAT! :notworthy :headbang

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Rush Street is where all the bars are.  You'll also find ESPNzone there.

No he wont. The Zone is 1 block west of Michigan on Ohio.

QUOTE(traydragen @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Well we are only going to be there for a few days then heading south to Decatur. Hmmm....I've seen on Cold Pizza where they rated a sports bar in Chicago as one of the top in the U.S. but I can't recall the name. My guess is, it's probally a Scrubs bar anyway.. But yeah, stuff like bars, night life, etc. Things that I wouldn't find in South Carolina is basically what I'm getting at, which yeah I know it's a lot of things.

Be more specific. How old are you guys and what are you into? Are you the touristy, go to Hard Rock, Navy Pier, get the t shirt and coffe mug types......or??

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Isn't the ESPNZone just off Michigan Avenue, near the Virgin Megastore?

Also, my wife just saw that exhibit about the human body at one of the museums, I'm awful at remembering which one has what - I'm pretty sure it was the Field Museum. I'm happy for her that she got to see what the human body is SUPPOSED to look like - I'm pretty sure she'd forgotten, after spending the last 15 years with me.... :lol:

Oh, on a semi-related topic - if you want (IMO) the best Cajun food in Chicago, stop by Redfish! It's about a block or two away from the House Of Blues, on State Street....it's absolutely GREAT! :notworthy  :headbang

And as usual you would be wrong... Body Works is at MSI. I know because my wife is about to take a field trip there and I am going with the help :crying

ESPN Zone is on Ohio Street (or Ontario, I forget which is which) around the old rock-n-roll McDonalds, Rain Forest Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe etc.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
ESPN Zone is on Ohio Street (or Ontario, I forget which is which) around the old rock-n-roll McDonalds, Rain Forest Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe etc.

McDonalds, RFCafe, and Hard Rock are several (8 maybe..?) blocks west of the Zone. Not walking distance, IMO. The Zone is literally right at Ohio and Michigan Ave right around the corner from Virgin.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
McDonalds, RFCafe, and Hard Rock are several (8 maybe..?) blocks west of the Zone. Not walking distance, IMO. The Zone is literally right at Ohio and Michigan Ave right around the corner from Virgin.

Right by Ditka's restaurant, IIRC...

C'mon Steff 8 blocks is not within walking distance? In the most beautiful city in the country, on a nice summer day??

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)

C'mon Steff 8 blocks is not within walking distance? In the most beautiful city in the country, on a nice summer day??

Yea.. it's real summerlike out there today.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)

I guess I am different. I walk 10 city blocks each way going to and from work each morning. I'd walk it in a heartbeat. Besides I'd do just about anything not to pay these damned cab drivers in this city.

QUOTE(traydragen @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)

if ya don't mind me asking, what's in decatur? that's a god awful place... :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I guess I am different.  I walk 10 city blocks each way going to and from work each morning.  I'd walk it in a heartbeat. Besides I'd do just about anything not to pay these damned cab drivers in this city.

LOL.. cheap-o.

I would walk if I was down there everyday. Vacationing somewhere I am not familiar with, I would cab it. On vacation I wouldn't walk more than a few blocks. It's so easy to get confused down there not being from here I think.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
LOL.. cheap-o.

I would walk if I was down there everyday. Vacationing somewhere I am not familiar with, I would cab it. On vacation I wouldn't walk more than a few blocks. It's so easy to get confused down there not being from here I think.

Its not that I am cheap. I just hate cabbies.... and I encourage others to do the samething :)

I like the experience of walking cities. Ang and I did the samething on our honeymoon in Toronto, and when we visited Dallas and Houston on vacation as well.

Chicago isn't too bad to walk compared to most places I have been, as everything is straight and squared off. Also 8 city blocks always equals a mile, so you know how far away from something you are if you know the address. It almost could be more confusing to drive at some points, with one way streets and construction. But to each his own I guess. :drink

if ya don't mind me asking, what's in decatur? that's a god awful place... laugh.gif

:P lol. Tell me something I didn't already know, I think the largest tourist attraction there is the "Book-Barn". My grandparents live there so I'm forced into seeing them there.. :banghead

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
And as usual you would be wrong... Body Works is at MSI.  I know because my wife is about to take a field trip there and I am going with the help :crying

And as usual you would ALSO be wrong about where ESPN Zone is.... :P

I may not know which museum has which exhibit, but I know where the big TVs and the snacks are... :D