Welcome to the Illini Richard Semrau

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 3, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
I know Dockery and Thompson didn't do much in college, but they were still monster recruits that we couldn't keep in state. Plus they might have done more if they weren't buried behind 8 million other McDonald's All Americans.

As for Milicic, I keep hearing that he is really a terror, but it certainly doesn't seem like it whenever he does get on the floor. I'd be more inclined to trust Brown, the guy's a pretty good coach and I doubt he'd have him playing so infrequently if he could help the team, especially when they were struggling earlier in the year. I'm not saying he's a definite bust at this point, but something is definitely going to have to change drastically.

Brown = doesn't like rookies, it is a known fact. Look at what he did in the olympics.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn over the 20 yo NBA entrance policy. Part of me thinks it's a great idea based on the Bulls. Why? Because Paxson drafted winners. Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, Luol Deng (only a freshman, but older than an average freshman and worldly wise) all came from winning/top programs. They learned how to play from great coaches. They learned how to play in tough arenas. They learned how to play against tough competition. High school games can't compare to the Assembly Hall or Cameron or the Dean Dome or The Pit. And I think the Bulls model is going to attract copycats over the next couple of years...

On the other hand, if these players don't want to go to college, who is the NBA to stop them? They are 18. They are adults. Maybe not mature enough, but is that the NBA's fault or job to babysit? It may water down the NBA and take up roster spots that someone else, like a Chris Duhon, would otherwise take, but that's for the GM to decide.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a TRUE developmental league, either the CBA or the NBDL or whatever. Basically a minor league system with teams assigned to pro teams.

Hijack over: I have a feeling if Scheyer went to Duke, he would disappear. I don't know why, but that's just the feeling I get. He would play a much bigger role at Illinois and I hope Weber's brother can give him the little kick in the pants it may take to get him to go there.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Most of the time there is a reason that these guys don't play much. I learned this after watching those guys play those few garbage minutes. The guys are just lost. Milicic looked god awful his rookie year when he went in, the guy couldn't dunk much less shoot or play defense. Bender has been around for quite some time and he still looks lost most of the time he's in. Outside of the few truly elite guys the high schoolers just aren't even close to ready. Some of these guys are starting to look more prepared like J.R. Smith, Josh Smith, and Al Jefferson, but I take that as more of an indication of the state of the NBA than how ready these guys really are.

Back to the main topic. I really hope that Illinois can build on this commitment and get some of the bigger guys. It's kind of depressing seeing Duke come in and get guys like Dockery, Thompson, and Livingston, or Kansas with Wright, or UNC with Frasor. They gotta keep at least a few of the elite guys to stay in Illinois while stealing one or two from the other states. Semrau is a start, although I'm not sure he's quite the type of immediate impact guy they need. Rush would be huge even if he is a one and done, and Scheyer or some of the other 2006 prospects would really help a ton. I really don't think they can stay on top of the Big Ten every year unless they start getting guys like Cook or Brown again.

Bender hasn't played because he's been injury proned ever since they tried to start playing him. Milicic is a Euro. He's pretty damn good and people were saying that he could be the best player out of that entire draft. Fact is, Larry wasn't going to play him, or whoever they brought in because he hates developing rookies and he also knew how long he was going to be there for(he does make short stops and tries to win right away instead of developing the best players on his team). Brown plays only ready players(established vets). He's the same guy that passed on Dirk Nowitzki. He didn't even play Larry Hughes he he took over those guys more than 20 minutes a game. Brown has been known as a guy who just hates to play rookies, regardless of how good they are. Darko is going to turn into a very fine player once he's not being coached by Brown. Think Dirk Nowitzki with defense.

Anyway, I hope the Illini gets Marques Johnson, Thaddeus Young, and Mike Conley(or Sherron Collins) next year. I think Scheyer is going to be more like Sean Harrington was for the Illini a couple of years back. Johnson has more potential and is as good as Scheyer without the sexy appeal because he's not from the state.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Anyway, I hope the Illini gets Marques Johnson, Thaddeus Young, and Mike Conley(or Sherron Collins) next year. I think Scheyer is going to be more like Sean Harrington was for the Illini a couple of years back. Johnson has more potential and is as good as Scheyer without the sexy appeal because he's not from the state.

As I've already stated, we have 0 chance at Mike Conley, forget about him. And you are greatly underrating Scheyer, if you think he is going to be Sean Harrington.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
As I've already stated, we have 0 chance at Mike Conley, forget about him.  And you are greatly underrating Scheyer, if you think he is going to be Sean Harrington.

Better than Harrington, but a similar player. Okay, let's put it this way, I think he'll be JJ Reddick. I just don't see the Illini getting Scheyer. I hope I'm wrong because he would be good for the program, I just don't see it happening.