The "Jermaine Dye Support Group"

beck72

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Jermaine Dye is a swell guy.  But count me out. 

However he is a double edged sword of terror.  When he is not missing the cutoff throw allowing winning runs to advance into scoring position, dropping fly balls, or not bending over to pick them up he is using his bat to foul it up.  He has a new uppercut swing.  Dye the sox killer was able to hit the high fastball successfully because his swing was level.  How we have a guy that when the game is on the line or we have ducks on the pond he will pretty much hit the ball either to the SS for the GIDP or pop out to the warning track. 

Yes he only has 4 errors(he is an OF right), but he also has numerous game changing bonehead plays that cost us at least one game in Oakland. 

We are into the middle of may guys.  When do you suspect he is coming out of this cold streak.  I mean everyone though Konerko was out of his after his big game on Saturday.  But that seems to be an abberation. 

Short quick line drive swings is what will bring Dye and Konerko out of their collective slumps.  But all I see if long looping swings looking for power.  I am sure that Joe Borchard could do the same thing that Dye is doing, sans he has speed and has better defense. 

Count me in the bring Brian Anderson up and sit Dye for a bit.  Give Anderson a taste of the bigs, maybe new blood can ignite the offense a bit and send a valuable message to Dye that no matter how much money you make you have to perform on the field. 

PROMOTE BA and McCarthy.

And start the arbitration process early when they're not ready, and watch them make the big bucks in the future when they still don't hit their prime. Leave B-Mac down in Charlotte and Anderson too. Most people were debating whether to start Anderson in B-Ham, let alone Charlotte. He's only been in the system for a year and a half basically.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Sign me up!! Dye is a notorius slow starter and has been showing signs of life on the offense...needs to step up the defense though...

He is not a notoriously slow starter. April has been one of his better months of his career. Check his splits. He hasn't been a very good player for several years, and now his defense appears to be in freefall. Thank God the White Sox have a decent replacement in the minors. Next year Dye will be worse than Jason Giambi currently is.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Backing a young player who hasnt lived up to his potential is one thing, thinking that an aging veteran will bounce back to his year 2000 potential is another. 

I am backing a former allstar completely healthy for the first time in years, who works hard and plays the game right. Dye's ability to post decent numbers even when he's not 100% shows me he's a guy to stick with. If you don't, fine. To each his own

:chair Dye is simply ....awful! He is the definition of liability. Can't hit, can't move runners over and his fielding is atrocious. I am so disappointed in this guy. Timo Perez isn't any better, but wow something has to be done.

Bring up Anderson or put Ozuna/Harris out there.

Certainly doesn't help matters that Rowand is off to another slow start.

Just keeping it real.

QUOTE(Indywallin @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
:chair

Bring up Anderson or put Ozuna/Harris out there.

Certainly doesn't help matters that Rowand is off to another slow start.

Just keeping it real.

Your scenarios are just not going to happen. Ozzie will stick with the vet who has proven himself over a number of years as he should over a AAA prospect or a utility guy. That's keeping it real

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
Your scenarios are just not going to happen. Ozzie will stick with the vet who has proven himself over a number of years as he should over a AAA prospect or a utility guy. That's keeping it real

JUst because he is a vet, doesnt mean he will perform. He will perform as he has been performing, which is declining in the end of his career. So if you say he will stick with Jermaine because he is a vet, that doesnt mean much to me, Mike Jackson was a vet last year, were you preaching to stay with him?

Guest JimH
declining in the end of his career.

Where are you getting this?

He's 31, not 40 like Mike Jackson. It's been not even 6 weeks that he's been on the team, this is a little anthrax-esque with all the Dye hate.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Where are you getting this?

He's 31, not 40 like Mike Jackson.  It's been not even 6 weeks that he's been on the team, this is a little anthrax-esque with all the Dye hate.

We can focus this argument in one thread if you like so we dont have to bounce to each one. Im not hating on Jermaine, but I think all of the support, saying that he is a vet, he is proven, he is solid, is unwarranted. He hasnt played well a few seasons in a row, his one strength, defense, is lacking. And overall his approach to the game has been incorrect. If he comes back and proves me wrong, thats great, but at this point, from what I have seen from him, im ready to sit him and give someone else a shot. His pop outs, k's and errors are doing nothing for the team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
JUst because he is a vet, doesnt mean he will perform.  He will perform as he has been performing, which is declining in the end of his career.  So if you say he will stick with Jermaine because he is a vet, that doesnt mean much to me, Mike Jackson was a vet last year, were you preaching to stay with him?

It doesn't matter what I'd do or you'd do. Ozzie is going to stick with Dye for a long while, because he's a proven hitter who's going through a slump. If it's more than a slump, then Dye won't see much time after the allstar break. And Jim H addressed the age issue. I think a month and a half is too soon to judge if a player is washed up. It's not like Dye's not 37 or 38, is slow, old and is overmatched on both sides of the field.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
It doesn't matter what I'd do or you'd do. Ozzie is going to stick with Dye for a long while, because he's a proven hitter who's going through a slump. If it's more than a slump, then Dye won't see much time after the allstar break. And Jim H addressed the age issue. I think a month and a half is too soon to judge if a player is washed up. It's not like Dye's not 37 or 38, is slow, old and is overmatched on both sides of the field.

I know he will stick with him, and that is kinda the right decision, but I still think we are expecting too much out of Dye, and he will be a bat off the bench by the end of the season. Sort of like Jay Payton

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
I know he will stick with him, and that is kinda the right decision, but I still think we are expecting too much out of Dye, and he will be a bat off the bench by the end of the season.  Sort of like Jay Payton

We'll agree to disagree then. I think Dye has a lot left in the tank, and will have some big RBI's this yr. Dye had a great first half last year, hitting near .300 with good power. He tailed off at the end, esp in mid-August when he hurt his hand. He's very capable of carrying a team when he's hot. The Sox don't need him to carry them. They just need him to battle at the plate and play solid d. He should do both pretty soon.

Guest JimH
I know he will stick with him, and that is kinda the right decision, but I still think we are expecting too much out of Dye, and he will be a bat off the bench by the end of the season.  Sort of like Jay Payton

If he is a bat on the bench that means the team is going fantastic and somebody else (Everett?) is lights out. In that scenario I will take it.

Expectations of Dye from me ... certainly more than he's shown. He needs to improve on his situational hitting, cut down on the K's, hit better with guys on base, and last but not least no more singles to RF going through his legs for two base errors.

I'm hesitant to break things down into stats because the White Sox have had some great stats the past few years and haven't won. But if I had to, I would say .270 average, 25 HR's, and 85 rbi. In addition, nearly flawless defense. Those numbers would fit my definition of solid.

Further ... the guy who'll eventually replace him IMO is Sweeney. Sweeney is the RF of the future. If Sweeney comes quickly, that's great. I would love it.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
If he is a bat on the bench that means the team is going fantastic and somebody else (Everett?) is lights out.  In that scenario I will take it.

Expectations of Dye from me ... certainly more than he's shown.  He needs to improve on his situational hitting, cut down on the K's, hit better with guys on base, and last but not least no more singles to RF going through his legs for two base errors.

Further ... the guy who'll eventually replace him IMO is Sweeney.  Sweeney is the RF of the future.  If Sweeney comes quickly, that's great.  I would love it.

I dont think they would have to be lights out to surpass Dye, hitting over 250 with less k's and no errors is better than him at this point. BUt i agree on the expectations, his situational hitting has been horrible, nothing kills a rally like Dye's pop outs lately. If he can play error free, hit some singles, and advance runners, thats fine with me. I would be happy with him hitting 300 with 15 hr's as long as he keeps the runners movin.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
I said in another thread, that im not going to be critical unless he keeps f-in up after June.  So I will keep quiet until then.

that's a big step for you :D . We should know by the end of June what his true talents/ shortcomings are