Koch

whitesox247

Article

CHICAGO -- Following Frank Thomas' two-hit game Saturday, one of the first players he heard from was Billy Koch.

Then again, Thomas hears from the White Sox closer on a regular basis.

"I'm on Frank every day, just making fun of him," said Koch with a wry smile.

His specific target Saturday was Thomas' recent propensity to take walks, breaking Luke Appling's White Sox career record on Friday night.

"I walked by him and said, 'It's about time you got some hits,'" Koch said, again showing evidence of that evil smile. "I said, 'Walk, walk, walk. What are you going to lead baseball in walks? No! Start hitting the baseball.'"

Poking fun at Chicago's 6-foot-5-inch, 270-pound designated hitter is somewhat akin to putting your head in a lion's mouth. It might seem exciting at the time, but you don't want to be there when the jaws snap shut.

But, in just under three months, Thomas has already grown accustomed to Koch's in-your-face personality. Despite being in the midst of his first season with the White Sox, after being acquired in a trade for Keith Foulke on December 3, Koch has already become a clubhouse leader through his biting humor -- a trait almost as important as his 144 saves over the past four years.

"I'm an advocate of having fun and enjoying yourself," said Koch, who claimed his rookie season in 1999 was the only time he toned down his personality. "The looser you are the better you are going to play.

"Just have a good time with it. I will be myself and try to keep this group loose. If making fun of them has a hand in them scoring 12 runs, then it's all the sweeter."

The White Sox seem to appreciate that approach from Koch, also the leader of the daily clubhouse card game. Manager Jerry Manuel refers to him as a little wild, but also said that he likes that characteristic -- especially in a closer.

Thomas agrees, despite Koch's constant needling.

"Billy Koch is a different type of guy," Thomas said with a laugh.

"Yeah, that's a compliment," responded Koch to Manuel and Thomas' "wild" and "different" comments. "I'll just leave it at that."

I'd rather see Frank taking walks than Botch f***ing up games. Botch is in no position to talk s***, joking or not, to anybody..... especially Thomas. He can let out the "in your face personality" when he becomes an "in your face" closer.

Eh i don't mind it that much, lighten up the clubhouse...it was a joke last year. He's not really getting on him...if he was striking out instead of walking, he probly wouldn't say anything i'm sure he's not that stupid.

I'd rather see Frank taking walks than Botch f***ing up games. Botch is in no position to talk s***, joking or not, to anybody..... especially Thomas. He can let out the "in your face personality" when he becomes an "in your face" closer.

Eh i don't mind it that much, lighten up the clubhouse...it was a joke last year. He's not really getting on him...if he was striking out instead of walking, he probly wouldn't say anything i'm sure he's not that stupid.

Exactly my feelings.

oh relax.  it is called BALL BUSTING.  whether you are better than a guy or not, you ball bust players on your team.

i agree, it takes someone with a special personality to be able to get away with it. robin v had that kind of personality. you need someone like that in the clubhouse. bo jackson was another, tim raines was another.

botch needs to rack up a few saves..or atleast more saves then blown saves :angry:

Guest hotsoxchick1

cant argue that one........ ill bet one reason botch is sucking so badly is frank got in his face and gave him the ol "uncle twist" of his pitching arm and told him to get a few saves......lol..........

It is funny. I like what Koch is doing to Big Frank.

We need good clubhouse guys like you said.

My opinion on the season:

Hey we need to get our act completely together.

Loiza is 4-0 and we still are not dominant.

I'm not complaining, but what a nice addition he has turned out to be.

None of us were counting on a dominant No. 3 guy.

Is KW a better GM than I envisioned?

Jimenez is doing well; Olivo looks good. Loiza is awesome, etc.

You've got to think we are gonna be in good shape this season.

p.s. Will Kansas like Bill Self? I covered Roy Williams and he's gone and now we have Self who

appears to be a great guy.

well from koch in todays daily herald

"I just have to work on missing the bat,'' he said. "It's getting a little frustrating.''

it seems like he knows he is struggling and wants to help the team and get back on track which I know he will do

LOL....that's actually a pretty funny way to put it.

:lol: