Soriano vs Jimenez

CWSOX45

I know, I know Jimenez isn't even close to the caliber of player that Soriano is, but I thought it would be interesting to compare Jimenez to the best second baseman in the league.

Soriano's #'s through 18 games..

G AB R H 2b 3b HR Rbi Tb BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

18 83 17 31 4 1 6 16 55 5 14 4 1 .429 .663 .373

Jimenez's #'s through 16 games..

G AB R H 2b 3b HR Rbi Tb BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

16 66 13 25 5 4 3 10 47 10 6 2 1 .461 .712 .379

Thus far in the young season D'Angelo has a better average, obp, and slugging percentage than Soriano. I doubt it will stay this way for much longer, yet Jimenez has solid numbers. If both keep this up we can expect both of them to be playing at the all-star game at the Cell.

CWSOX45

I know, I know Jimenez isn't even close to the caliber of player that Soriano is, but I thought it would be interesting to compare Jimenez to the best second baseman in the league.

G AB  R  H  2b 3b HR Rbi Tb BB SO SB CS  OBP  SLG  AVG

18 83 17 31 4 1 6  16  55  5  14 4 1 .429 .663 .373

16  66 13 25 5    4 3 10 47 10  6 2 1 .461 .712 .379

Thus far in the young season D'Angelo has a better average, obp, and slugging percentage than Soriano. I doubt it will stay this way for much longer, yet Jimenez has solid numbers.  If both keep this up we can expect both of them to be playing at the all-star game at the Cell.

CWSOX45

Ya never know. He WAS rated higher than soriano, in the yanks system. Players come out of nowhere sometimes. He does have talent. I'm not ready to compare him to soriano, but i do think hes a good player with a lot of upside.

Thus far in the young season D'Angelo has a better average, obp, and slugging percentage than Soriano. I doubt it will stay this way for much longer, yet Jimenez has solid numbers.  If both keep this up we can expect both of them to be playing at the all-star game at the Cell.

CWSOX45

Ya never know. He WAS rated higher than soriano, in the yanks system. Players come out of nowhere sometimes. He does have talent. I'm not ready to compare him to soriano, but i do think hes a good player with a lot of upside.

it all depends on his work ethic. I think he is still yound enough to become the best 2B outside of the yankees. But it seems his work ethic has been his problem in the past. Only time will tell

G   AB  R  H  2b 3b HR Rbi Tb BB SO SB CS  OBP  SLG  AVG

18 83 17 31 4   1   6  16  55  5  14   4   1   .429 .663 .373

16  66 13 25 5    4   3 10   47 10  6   2   1   .461 .712 .379

CWSOX45

it all depends on his work ethic. I think he is still yound enough to become the best 2B outside of the yankees. But it seems his work ethic has been his problem in the past. Only time will tell

People change and mature. Ive seen it happen many times. Maybe he just wasnt happy at that time in his life and career. Give the guy a chance.

CWSOX45

what those stats show me is that soriano has 12 more plate appearances in only 2 more games..so the yankees are turning their line up over more than we are

CWSOX45

why, he was a higher rank prospect when both were yanks and before his accident.

CWSOX45

sorry, i didn't know you had already answered this the way i wanted to.

Yeah, but Skinny McFreak has wrists of steel and a ton of batspeed. In Yankee sandbox he will routinely slugg 550-600 whereas DJ will be an OBP guy with Ray Durham's power (450-475).

Jimenez will be a better fielder but Soriano will steal more bases and command more money.

CWSOX45

why, he was a higher rank prospect when both were yanks and before his accident.

Yeah, he WAS a higher ranked prospect before his accident. While Jimenez was recovering Soriano kept developing and is ahead of Jimenez. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect and love the way DJ plays. To come back from an injury like that is not easy at all.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

Yeah, he WAS a higher ranked prospect before his accident. While Jimenez was recovering Soriano kept developing and is ahead of Jimenez. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect and love the way DJ plays. To come back from an injury like that is not easy at all.

CWSOX45

for anyone to come back from an injury is a miracle.

but if steff and hsc info is correct, which i have never known not to be, i hope he gets his act together.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

but if steff and hsc info is correct, which i have never known not to be, i hope he gets his act together.

Right, but D'Angelo's injury was pretty bad Wasn't it?..not saying that any injuries are good.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

Right, but D'Angelo's injury was pretty bad Wasn't it?..not saying that any injuries are good.

CWSOX45

Call me nuts but in this case part of me would rather have Jimenez. Jimenez is just a better fundemental player at this stage of the game. Both have very high ceilings though.

I just hate how many times Soriano whiffs and all the errors he makes. He makes Jimenez look like Alomar with the glove.

It would be a tough call though. If we were seeing the Jimenez we'd get for 10 yrs or so right now, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I think both will be top notch 2nd baseman though.

All I can speak on in regard to D'Angelo is what I've seen on the field while wearing a Sox uniform. I know nothing of his work ethic, of his minor league past, or anything else to do with his previous experience. That said....

44 Games, .316 avg (177 AB), .413 OBP, .503 SLG, .916 OPS, 35 runs, 3 errors.

That's only about 1/4 of a season, but so far, you can't argue that he's played excellent ball for the Sox.

Call me nuts but in this case part of me would rather have Jimenez.  Jimenez is just a better fundemental player at this stage of the game. Both have very high ceilings though. 

I just hate how many times Soriano whiffs and all the errors he makes.  He makes Jimenez look like Alomar with the glove. 

It would be a tough call though.  If we were seeing the Jimenez we'd get for 10 yrs or so right now, I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

I can't complain about Jimenez's K's because the guy is seeing so many pitches. it seems like everytime he is at the plate he is in a full count. He is giving Valentin and Frank so many pitches to look at it, it is unreal

Call me nuts but in this case part of me would rather have Jimenez.  Jimenez is just a better fundemental player at this stage of the game. Both have very high ceilings though. 

I just hate how many times Soriano whiffs and all the errors he makes.  He makes Jimenez look like Alomar with the glove. 

It would be a tough call though.  If we were seeing the Jimenez we'd get for 10 yrs or so right now, I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

cmon you have to go with soriano because he has proved it over an entire season...jimenez could still end up hitting his career average...soriano is a freak

cmon you have to go with soriano because he has proved it over an entire season...jimenez could still end up hitting his career average...soriano is a freak

Anyone who is comparing Jiminez with Soriano is absolutely clueless.

Anyone who is comparing Jiminez with Soriano is absolutely clueless.

Right. Hell, I heard them (Sutcliffe?) compare Soriano's bat to Henry Aaron's today. This kid can be a monster. He may redefine the expectations at 2b the way ARod, Nomar, etc. did at SS.