Draftniks-What do the Sox need most?

southsider2k5

This is my question to all of the baseball draft junkies... What does the Sox minor league organization as a whole, need the most?

It looks like we have some great pitching and OFs on the way, as far as I am reading. We also have Fields at 3B, Lopez at SS, and some Catchers in the lower levels? It looks like 1B is pretty weak, as well as maybe 2B, as far as I can tell.

All things being equal, what positions are the Sox looking to fill first?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft will have a number of quality shortstops and I think the Sox system is relatively weak at the position.

Our best shortstop in the minors isn't Lopez it's a guy by the name of Robert Valido who plays for the Winston-Salem Warthogs.

Check out his stats at...

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...milb&pid=449804

Guest JimH

The Sox always seem to stock up on pitching, so it'd be no surprise if they do that again. The draft is supposedly strong in position players. Catching is always at a premium.

By my estimation, the Sox have decent but not great depth in their system and they would be well served to draft as many high ceiling guys as possible.

Reinsdorf has always been pretty generous with the draft signing budget so maybe they can pick a few guys in the middle rounds who are considered tough signs and get it done.

The draft is supposedly weak in left handed pitching; fortunately that's a strong depth area for the White Sox.

For a long time I've wanted them to draft a premium SS in the first round or two and as Mike T. mentions, there may be a SS available when the Sox pick. They still need more depth at catcher, and 2B.

If it's business as usual, they will end up signing most of their first 20 picks and probably 30 or so overall.

Lastly ... if they go the pitching route, they may focus on college arms with the hope they can contribute quicker.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 12, 2005 -> 07:09 AM)
I agree, they were supposedly looking at the Long Beach SS.

Unfortunately with all the Boras guys I have a bad feeling Troy will be going somewhere in the Top 10 and since he's recovered nicely from his injury and has been mashing the ball since coming back he may even make it into the Top 5.

The guys a total stud. If they could take anyone in the draft, I wouldn't have any trouble with him. Of course Maybin and Upton are both studs in there own right and I'm probably the lone person that would take Troy over either of them, but I think Troy is that good. Plus he's going to move through the minors quickly and is not only good offensively but good defensively (has a cannon).

There are a few other SS's that will be there when the Sox pick. If they aren't afraid of Boras they could get Greene. I know a few scouts have Greene ranked ahead of Troy but Greene will not get selected ahead of him and will likely be there when the Sox pick.

Also a kid named Billinglsey or something along those lines (I may have the name wrong but a few people have posted recently about him). He's supposed to be a lesser known guy with ability.

I think Clement is over-rated and I wouldn't draft him. I would draft Jeff Larish in the 4th or 5th round if he's still available. I just don't see him as anything more than that and he should of left after his sophmore season. But Larish is a first baseman with a ton of pop from ASU. Look for them to go catcher sometime in the 1st 5 rounds though, unless they decide no one on the board is worth it because catcher is a position that ends up getting overdrafted. Sox may overdraft in the 1st round (in terms of making sure they get a quick sign) but they typically draft best available the rest of the way and have shown that (and thats based on there rankings).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
They'll look at catcher or SS in the 1st round.

The only way they take a catcher is if Jeff Clement falls to 15, the Sox do like him.

What are the Sox needs?

1) Every organization always needs pitching. That said, pitchers are always a coin flip. After taking a ton of lefties last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go with "The best available pitching option".

More specifically, the Sox lack RH'd power arms in their organization. Those guys are generally pretty risky, though. Much more risk/reward picks than proven college pitchers.

2) SS's are always great draft picks, because they can usually move to just about anywhere on the diamond if they don't work out at SS. That said, the Sox have 2 defensive whizes at SS and could use a legit bat. In general, the Sox don't have much depth at the corner IF positions behind Fields/Rogo. Very little depth there. I like Brandon Allen a lot, but he looked terribly overmatched in Bristol last year and will be in for another year of short-season ball.

3) The Sox have a lot of OF talent, but not much below AA.

4) Chris Stewart and Fransisco Hernandez are their only catching prospects. Again, if Clement does drop to them, I would surprised if they passed on him. They are short on power bats, and Clement might eventually 1st baseman, something that is an organizational need as well.

In short, you can never draft enough pitching or SS's early, and OF/Catching/Pitching elsewhere in the draft.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 12, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
The only way they take a catcher is if Jeff Clement falls to 15, the Sox do like him.

What are the Sox needs?

1) Every organization always needs pitching.  That said, pitchers are always a coin flip.  After taking a ton of lefties last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go with "The best available pitching option".

More specifically, the Sox lack RH'd power arms in their organization.  Those guys are generally pretty risky, though.  Much more risk/reward picks than proven college pitchers.

2) SS's are always great draft picks, because they can usually move to just about anywhere on the diamond if they don't work out at SS.  That said, the Sox have 2 defensive whizes at SS and could use a legit bat.  In general, the Sox don't have much depth at the corner IF positions behind Fields/Rogo.  Very little depth there.  I like Brandon Allen a lot, but he looked terribly overmatched in Bristol last year and will be in for another year of short-season ball.

3) The Sox have a lot of OF talent, but not much below AA.

4) Chris Stewart and Fransisco Hernandez are their only catching prospects.  Again, if Clement does drop to them, I would surprised if they passed on him.  They are short on power bats, and Clement might eventually 1st baseman, something that is an organizational need as well.

In short, you can never draft enough pitching or SS's early, and OF/Catching/Pitching elsewhere in the draft.

Overall I agree with your assesment, personally I don't see any catchers worthy of going top 15 at least not Clement. Clement is an awful defensive catcher and is more of a 1st baseman. From that stance, I also think he's overrated offensively. He's had some monster power seasons, but I'm with BA when they say he'll turn out like Eric Munson (bust).

If they want a 1st baseman, wait and draft Larish (he definately has tons of power, although I don't know whether he'll excel in the minors or not...his average is a bit worrisome). There are a few SS's that will fall in the Sox range or could and I think thats where they go. Or your right, pitching, you can never have too much of it and they do like right handed arms. I could easily see them grabbing the best "signable" pitcher on the board.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
If they want a 1st baseman, wait and draft Larish (he definately has tons of power, although I don't know whether he'll excel in the minors or not...his average is a bit worrisome).  There are a few SS's that will fall in the Sox range or could and I think thats where they go.  Or your right, pitching, you can never have too much of it and they do like right handed arms.  I could easily see them grabbing the best "signable" pitcher on the board.

I would be thrilled if they actually drafted and signed a guy like Weaver or Drew who are relatively close to being MLB-ready, but that's a bit of a pipedream, I know.

That said, I'm not terribly thrilled or excited about the current crop of college players available this year, at least not the ones we're looking at in the #15 range. I think the late 1st and sandwich picks are going to be about equally valuable as this mid-first pick this year, don't see much drop-off there.

I'd say a SS or 2b man who can switch hit or at least hit lefty, who has a good glove, hits for avg. and makes contact. The sox are stocked with RH hitters. WHile the sox have Uribe at SS, if a top prospect came on Juan could move to 2b. Texas A + M's SS Cliff Pennington seems to be a good fit for the Sox--a switch hitter, good glove, has speed, and hits for avg and contact. He has more walks than K's, and has over 20 Sb's.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 12, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
I'd say a SS or 2b man who can switch hit or at least hit lefty, who has a good glove, hits for avg. and makes contact.

Well, you basically described all of 1 player in this draft. Way to be generic... :lolhitting

Guest JimH

Another smaller issue to consider is whether the White Sox have any premium draft and follow prospects they're trying to sign.

I know they have until roughly May 31 to get that done, and I have not seen the BA article on draft and follows yet ... but if the Sox have one of the hot ones, it may determine what they do early on to an extent.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 12, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Another smaller issue to consider is whether the White Sox have any premium draft and follow prospects they're trying to sign.

I know they have until roughly May 31 to get that done, and I have not seen the BA article on draft and follows yet ... but if the Sox have one of the hot ones, it may determine what they do early on to an extent.

I doubt it will have much of an effect on their 1st round pick, considering they don't have another pick until the middle of the third round. The last several years they've generally had about 4+ picks prior to their 3rd rounder.

Guest JimH
I doubt it will have much of an effect on their 1st round pick, considering they don't have another pick until the middle of the third round.  The last several years they've generally had about 4+ picks prior to their 3rd rounder.

Yes I agree, and would further guess they've got their 1st rounder pretty well narrowed down by now.

Another area of concern, as you mentioned is 1B. Not only for depth, but also for an impact type guy. A pure hitter with power ... we do not have much of that in the system either, Fields notwithstanding.

Edit: anybody think it might be John Mayberry Jr.? 1B, righthanded power bat, Stanford connection (KW), family from this area?

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Yes I agree, and would further guess they've got their 1st rounder pretty well narrowed down by now.

Another area of concern, as you mentioned is 1B.  Not only for depth, but also for an impact type guy.  A pure hitter with power ... we do not have much of that in the system either, Fields notwithstanding.

And we are looking at needing a 1B possibly in the very near future with Frank and Pauly both possibly out the door in 06. Are there any big bopper type 1B's out there that could be up the Sox alley?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
And we are looking at needing a 1B possibly in the very near future with Frank and Pauly both possibly out the door in 06.  Are there any big bopper type 1B's out there that could be up the Sox alley?

Rogo and Fields could both play 1st potentially, as could Ryan Sweeney, IMO.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(JimH @ May 12, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)

Another area of concern, as you mentioned is 1B.  Not only for depth, but also for an impact type guy.  A pure hitter with power ... we do not have much of that in the system either, Fields notwithstanding.

Edit:  anybody think it might be John Mayberry Jr.?  1B, righthanded power bat, Stanford connection (KW), family from this area?

If Crede continues playing solid ball this year, the sox could sign him to a deal, thereby having Josh Fields move to 1B? I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe some columnist surmising

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
If Crede continues playing solid ball this year, the sox could sign him to a deal, thereby having Josh Fields move to 1B? I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe some columnist surmising

I've been throwing that out there for a while.