Draftniks-What do the Sox need most?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Randar, money and agent aside, where would you rank Drew amongst all position players?  Just, talking about pure skills here (as opposed to including signability, etc etc).

Drew is in the top 5 out of the position players. Probably the 3rd or 4th best prospect or so. His MLB-readiness is in question being out of baseball for a year, but he was the most MLB-ready position player last year. In terms of ceiling, he's farther down, but talent combined with experience and relatively low risk moves him way up the list, IMO.

If he is drafted and signs right away, I would imagine he'd be in AA before the year was over and would have an outside chance at making a club next spring.

Edited by Randar68

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in baseball you draft for talent over need... That said i think we did a really good job signing all our guys last year... only like 2 of them werent signed and one was KW's son.... So I hope they take the best player available regardless of their agent.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
I think in baseball you draft for talent over need... That said i think we did a really good job signing all our guys last year... only like 2 of them werent signed and one was KW's son.... So I hope they take the best player available regardless of their agent.

Not quite accurate. They signed their first 20 selections (thru the 16th round) last year...

I'd like to know if Dave Wilder regrets not signing Wes Hodges. Gonna be a 1st or second round pick next draft, IMO.

Best available player is a nice way to go, but unfortunately, money and signability always factor into the equation. Weaver and Drew won't have the leverage they had last year, but they won't be easy signs either. Boras has a lot of first round talent this year, so there are going to be a lot of kids fall because of that. We already know about the Sox's aversion to dealing with him.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 12, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
Not quite accurate.  They signed their first 20 selections (thru the 16th round) last year...

I'd like to know if Dave Wilder regrets not signing Wes Hodges.  Gonna be a 1st or second round pick next draft, IMO.

Best available player is a nice way to go, but unfortunately, money and signability always factor into the equation.  Weaver and Drew won't have the leverage they had last year, but they won't be easy signs either.  Boras has a lot of first round talent this year, so there are going to be a lot of kids fall because of that.  We already know about the Sox's aversion to dealing with him.

That sort of pisses me off, though. We don't have any supplamental picks or second round picks. Do we even have a third round pick? I don't think it's a great idea to limit ones-self by saying, "We're not dealing with this agent". There's a chance that both Weaver and Drew could fall to #15, and to my understanding, these guys are both top ten picks in terms of talent.

I'd be extatic if we got Drew.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
That sort of pisses me off, though.  We don't have any supplamental picks or second round picks.  Do we even have a third round pick?  I don't think it's a great idea to limit ones-self by saying, "We're not dealing with this agent".  There's a chance that both Weaver and Drew could fall to #15, and to my understanding, these guys are both top ten picks in terms of talent.

I'd be extatic if we got Drew.

Try thinking about how pissed off you would be if you were the DBacks or Angels and might possibly lose your first round pick from last year's draft. That would blow.

On a sidenote, does anyone know about Jacob Wild? He was the highest pick we didn't sign last season (17th round). RHP out of Bakersfield JC in Cali. His scouting report from mlb.com's draft coverage read like a first or 2nd round pick. I'm guessing it was a signability issue, but anyone know anything else about him?

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 12, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Try thinking about how pissed off you would be if you were the DBacks or Angels and might possibly lose your first round pick from last year's draft. That would blow.

Shouldn't they have known what they were getting into when they drafted a Boras client, though? I certainly don't agree with how much Boras expects for his clients, but, shouldn't a team know what they're buying when they draft a Boras guy?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Shouldn't they have known what they were getting into when they drafted a Boras client, though?  I certainly don't agree with how much Boras expects for his clients, but, shouldn't a team know what they're buying when they draft a Boras guy?

The Angels have been splashing money lately, in the draft last year and with free agency. Boras is hard to deal with and sometimes it's not worth it. It's not as simple as you lead on.

Update on Wild, he went back to Bakersfield for his sophomore year and has a 2.24 ERA in 56.1 IP. 43 K, 20 BB, 47 hits and 11 hit batters lol. Any chance this guy is a draft and follow pickup?

I think we need catching and shortstops also. However, we don't seem to like draft catchers in the 1st round. Mark Johnson is the last one I can remember. back in 1994. The last SS we drafted in the 1st round was Jason Dallaero in 1997. So its gonna be a change if we draft either one. I think we will end up with someone like Brandon Snyder who happens to play both positions and is excellent defensively at both positions.

From BA,

"Brandon Snyder, c/ss, Westfield HS, Centreville, Va.

He can hit and he’s one of the few players who is equally proficient behind plate, in middle infield"

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 12, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
with a top 10 pick you want to take a guy you can draft for sure... but at 15 with no 2nd round pick or supplemental picks.... I hope they would risk Weaver or Drew if the opportunity comes.

You can only take that risk if you are committed entirely, to signing them. You cannot risk taking a guy who won't sign when you don't have another pick until the middle of the 3rd round. Could be a "lost" draft class by doing that unless you sign a bunch of high-round-talent signability picks later in the draft.

QUOTE(poorme @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
we haven't exactly been good at selecting pitchers over the past decade....i like guys who can flat out hit...maybe stephen head, 1B, ole miss.

Everyone struggles with taking pitchers, especially outside of the top 10 or so.

Taking head mid-First round would be a wasted pick compared to the other talent available.

QUOTE(farmteam @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Hmm...the guy I'd like is Tyler Greene, although he's a Boras client.

Not only is he a Boras client, but his bat is questionable on the next level. I'd rather take a SS with a questionable glove and a legit bat.

Guest JimH

BA starts their draft coverage on Monday so more info on these players will start coming out. The most important factor other than talent for the White Sox 1st rounder will be signability. The Sox historically get their 1st round pick signed quickly ... the last one that took a while was Borchard in 2000 and they've signed all their 1st rounders going back to Bobby Seay in '96 (looks like they really didn't need to spend all that negotiating time with either, LOL).

If I had to guess right now, I would say a college position player in the 1st round, heavy on pitching in the early part of the draft with a catcher thrown in too.

Boras has at least 6 1st round prospects, including Weaver and Drew if neither come to terms. Chances are great the White Sox will avoid all Boras clients, we all know they just don't want to deal with him. I was thinking about Schoenweis the other day ... The Sox wanted to keep him but Boras and Schoenweis wanted a situation where he could compete to be a starter - and look where he is now, in Toronto's bullpen. The White Sox don't trust Boras, and I will add rightfully so.

A good way to gauge the White Sox 1st round target is to take out all the Boras clients, look at the college juniors/seniors projected to go 1st round, look where the Sox typically draft from, and draw conclusions.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 13, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Everyone struggles with taking pitchers, especially outside of the top 10 or so.

which is precisely why i don't want them to take a pitcher. i'm biased toward big sluggers, who may not have many tools, but do have the two most important ones.

QUOTE(poorme @ May 13, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
which is precisely why i don't want them to take a pitcher. i'm biased toward big sluggers, who may not have many tools, but do have the two most important ones.

You mean like Joe Borchard? Come on. It's much better to draft a good hitter with projectible size/power and a real position in the field than to draft a straight-up power hitter out of college. You never know how much of that power is metal bats and how much is ability. The odds are probably equivalent to taking a pitcher that they'll ever produce in the majors.

I'm highly anti-power hitter if that's their primary tool.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 13, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
You mean like Joe Borchard?  Come on.  It's much better to draft a good hitter with projectible size/power and a real position in the field than to draft a straight-up power hitter out of college.  You never know how much of that power is metal bats and how much is ability.  The odds are probably equivalent to taking a pitcher that they'll ever produce in the majors.

I'm highly anti-power hitter if that's their primary tool.

Personally, I'd prefer a guy who has shown superb strike zone judgement throughout his career, good BB's numbers, low K's, good contact. A kid who might, as you say, project to gain some power as he gets older.

That said, these kids don't grow on trees. I'm just saying, ideally...

no, no. power is useless if you can't make contact. guys who strike out a lot in college worry me considerably. i didn't mind the borchard pick b/c he had like once in a lifetime power. how about dellaero for a guy with the inability to make contact? fields worried me b/c he struck out quite a bit, but he seems to have made the adjustment. anderson still worries me.

seems like you can always draft an all-american hitter who is percieved as unathletic or something..."as good as he's going to be." i think the sox got ventura and thomas in the low teens.

John Manuel from BA had a chat wrap. Here's everything White Sox related and some other tidbits;

Q: Steve from New Jersey asks:

John, With many of the top pitchers being represented by Scott Boras do you think some of the top teams will pass on his clients ? How do you see the first 5 picks going ?

A: John Manuel: That's one of the major themes of the draft. Look, everyone knows what they get when they draft a Boras client. That player will hold out, very rarely do Boras clients sign on draft day and head straight out. Some clubs just won't take Boras clients altogether unless it's a unique situation, though no one comes out and says it. I know the White Sox have a ton of history with Boras clients and none of it is good--Jeff Weaver, Bobby Hill, Bobby Seay, most recently (not in the draft) Magglio Ordonez. So those players have to know that, too, and I think they do. Bottom line: Boras clients get paid, and that's why Boras represents a lot of the draft's top talents.

Q: Peter Landrigan from Tappan, N,Y asks:

Do you see the white sox possible grabbing one of the top guys from last year if available. Or you think they will go for clement. Could you tell me a little about Clement.

A: John Manuel: I don't see the White Sox taking a Boras client. Jeff Clement at 15 would be a value pick; he's a lefthanded hitting catcher with power, he's a much better defender behind the dish than Eric Munson was, just to put that comp to rest. His bat and Munson's are similar, he takes a more aggressive hack and is pull oriented, but if he hits .250, he'll hit 20 homers and be a solid big league catcher.

Q: Steve from Birmingham, Alabama asks:

Who are the main prep stars from your top-30 that could drop rapidly due to signability concerns? Guys that a big market team may take a flyer on in later round and try to sign for 1st round type money.

A: John Manuel: Great question, Steve. One is Cody Satterwhite, one of the hardest throwers in the prep class. An Ole Miss signee, he goes to the same high school that produced Stephen Head and Seth Smith, who also went to Ole Miss. Satterwhite's command and price tag leave scouts thinking he'll go to school, though a lot of people have seen him good, throwing up to 95-96 mph. Michigan prep Zach Putnam (Michigan signee), Arizona prep Brett Jacobson (Vanderbilt signee) and Texas prep outfielder Jordan Danks (who has said he wants to go to Texas).

Q: Mark L. Peel from Arlington Heights, IL asks:

John, where do you see RHS Mike Bowden from Aurora, IL, going? Any indications that the Cubs or the White Sox are looking at him seriously?

A: John Manuel: I t hink they should look at h im, he's a second-round talent, if not better.

Q: Ernie from Avenel, NJ asks:

Assuming Upton goes 1st and KC passes on Gordon does Seattle take Gordon after signing Beltre long-term ?

A: John Manuel: I have heard Tulowitzki and Zimmerman for them.

Q: Kiley from Odessa, FL asks:

What is the buzz on UCF's catcher Drew Butera? It sounds like he moved from the 5th-7th area preseason to the 2nd-3rd area at midseason and he continues to hit well. How high could he go and how do scouts grade his tools?

A: John Manuel: Butera's like his dad, a really good defender who should go higher than his talent really merits because of the demand for college catchers in the draft. I don't think he's going to go much higher than the third round, but he's probably the second-best catch-and-throw guy out there after Taylor Teagarden, and he stopped Troy's Adam Godwin, who was 69-for-75 coming into the series with UCF and went 0-for-2 on steals against Butera.

There seem to be a lot of college catchers at the top of the board this year with Clement, Teagarden, Hundley, Liuzza, Robinson, Butera, Hayes, and Bell. In what rounds are these guys likely to fall and what college backstops are coming on late to watch for?

A: John Manuel: I can say Liuzza doesn't belong in that group anymore, he's unfortunately struggled big-time this spring. Robinson is Canadian, and the visa issue (he probably won't get to play this year) is a factor. Maybe the A's draft him, he could play in Vancouver's home games because he wouldn't need a visa. Clement and Teagarden are first-round talents, and Butera and Brett Hayes (athletic catcher at Nevada) will go in the first five rounds. Hayes' feel for the game will help him go well. But Bell is a tough call; he's just not a great receiver and some think he won't be good enough to catch in pro ball. It's borderline as to whether or not he'll go in the fifth round, as he did out of high school.

What is the scouting report on the emerging Miami RHP Cesar Carrillo? And what is the projection for ex-Rice RHP Wade Townsend--was he ineligible for the Draft Tracker, or is his stock dropping?

A: John Manuel: Quick arm, excellent velocity in the low to mid 90s, good command, enough breaking ball and a very good competitor. Carillo's really improved himself. Townsend is on the draft tracker, right at No. 13.

Alright, 2 names to throw out there: Mike Bowden, a prep righty out of Waubonsie Valley (Could the local factor play a role?), and Craig Hansen, a closer out of St. John's. Here's the BA dealie on him:

"With 96 mph fastball, 90 mph slider, could nation's premier closer be first to reach majors?"

Now, I normally don't advocate taking closers in the first round, but this guys sounds like he has lights out stuff; given our recent closer troubles, would taking this guy in the first round be a good idea? We could have our own home grown closer.

NOTE: I'm not saying we SHOULD take either of them, I'm just throwing the names out there.