Preston Wilson

DBAHO

Now here's an interesting scenario here from Ken Rosenthal. If we could dump Dye for Wilson (bout a $6 mill diff in salaries), would you do it?

The Rockies could be active traders before the July 31 non-waiver deadline, dangling not only center fielder Preston Wilson and possibly first baseman Todd Helton, but also starting pitchers Jason Jennings, Joe Kennedy and Shawn Chacon.

Jennings, 1-4 with a 6.26 ERA, appears worn down by Coors Field after averaging 13 wins and189 innings for the Rockies over the past three seasons. He might be worth a shot for a team that is looking for an innings-eater, and he does not become eligible for free agency until after the 2007 season.

Wilson, slowly rounding into form in his return from knee surgery, could be a fit for the Orioles, White Sox, Indians, Rangers, Cubs and Nationals if he starts hitting more consistently.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Now here's an interesting scenario here from Ken Rosenthal. If we could dump Dye for Wilson (bout a $6 mill diff in salaries), would you do it?

I would do it only if Preston Wilson's numbers continue to improve. To me after the knee injury Preston's #s seem to be a result of Coors field, not saying that he wouldn't be a good US Cell player. I think it's too early to tell with this one, lets wait a month, see how he's running, see if his road splits improve (.306 in Coors and .167 away). Right now its just too early

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Say good by to our top prospects and say hello to an insane contract.

So the Rockies wouldn't trade Helton for Dye? Damn... :(

And I don't want Preston Wilson anywhere near US Cellular. There is sure to be a better option in RF...

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
Dumping Dye after he supposedly took less money to play for the Sox, would not look good to future free agent's.  I just don't see that happening.  I hope he gets on track.

Yeah, I don't see Dye getting dumped at all this season.

Wilson is a slightly better version of dye. If he did do what he did in 2003 his career numbers would actually be worse. If anyone could come up with a solid reason why wilson is 8.5 million dollars better than dye i will eat my shoe and record it (by the way stepped in dog s*** today). So it be all that much tastier.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
Wilson is a slightly better version of dye. If he did do what he did in 2003 his career numbers would actually be worse. If anyone could come up with a solid reason why wilson is 8.5 million dollars better than dye i will eat my shoe and record it (by the way stepped in dog s*** today). So it be all that much tastier.

Because he is younger. Eat your shoe. NOW!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
Dumping Dye after he supposedly took less money to play for the Sox, would not look good to future free agent's.  I just don't see that happening.  I hope he gets on track.

He is hitting like s***. Dumping him makes sense, and it would appear to future FAs that if you perform like s*** for the Sox, you will be dumped.

My take on it atleast

Dye would be hard to move with that deal including next year. You'd have to take a bad contract back which we don't do, or give away top prospects which we sometimes do. I like the idea of brining in Chaco but I fear that he's another OClorado guy who won't be "right" until a full year out of there.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 13, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Todd Helton is an absolute stud.  Preston Wilson may be better than Dye but not $6 mill better.

If I were stealing Rockies, I'd be looking at Shawn Chacon.

Basically my thoughts on Wilson. He'll be better, but is it worth the extra $6 mill, even though we wouldn't pay all of it? Colorado would probably have to pay some of Wilson's deal perhaps, but they've got Hawpe and Dustan Mohr in RF already as well.

I don't see why anyone would want Preston Wilson. He basically IS Jermaine Dye but he is making more money. They both rarely walk, strike out a lot, USUALLY hit around .265 with a .333 OBP, and USUALLY play good defense. Their career numbers are so similar it's scary...

Jermaine Dye | Preston Wilson

The main differences between the two is that Preston Wilson can play CF and can steal bases. Otherwise, they are nearly clones. Their bats are almost identical. Also, keep in mind that Wilson's monster 2003 season was Coors-aided.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 13, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
12.5 - 4 = six million different? Different math there in australia?

Is he only making 4 mill this season? I thought it was more like 5, or 6, but now that I think of it, what's the 2nd year of his contract worth and isn't there a buyout?

And it's probably more likely the Sox would try an in house solution before acquiring Wilson anyways. Now if it was CRAIG Wilson we were talking about, that's a different story.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Is he only making 4 mill this season? I thought it was more like 5, or 6, but now that I think of it, what's the 2nd year of his contract worth and isn't there a buyout?

And it's probably more likely the Sox would try an in house solution before acquiring Wilson anyways. Now if it was CRAIG Wilson we were talking about, that's a different story.

Jermaine Dye: signed 2-year deal worth 10.15M on 12/9/04- he will make 4M in 2005 and 5M in 2006- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2007 worth 6M or a 1.15M buyout Agent: Bob Bry

Also, craig wilson> konerko, even before this season.

I think one of the reasons that the Sox were mentioned in the article as one of the possible suitors for Wilson is because the Rockies offered him to Kenny last season after Magg$ went down. Kenny declined because of Wilson's outrageous contract. With Dye here and Everett being available off the bench once Frank is healthy and with Brian Anderson in the minors, I don't see Wilson coming to the south side.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
I don't see why anyone would want Preston Wilson.  He basically IS Jermaine Dye but he is making more money.  They both rarely walk, strike out a lot, USUALLY hit around .265 with a .333 OBP, and USUALLY play good defense.  Their career numbers are so similar it's scary...

Jermaine Dye  |  Preston Wilson

The main differences between the two is that Preston Wilson can play CF and can steal bases.  Otherwise, they are nearly clones.  Their bats are almost identical.  Also, keep in mind that Wilson's monster 2003 season was Coors-aided.

Not to be an asshole, but wasn't that like exactly what qwerty said earlier in the thread?

Preston Wilson isn't even hitting anything this year while playing half of his games in Denver... that is all I need to know.

As for any Colorado pitcher, there is no way I want them on our team this year. The thin air just saps a pitchers recovery ability, and it seems to take them about a year or so to get back to normal, if ever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3611812

The Rockies could be active traders before the July 31 non-waiver deadline, dangling not only center fielder Preston Wilson and possibly first baseman Todd Helton, but also starting pitchers Jason Jennings, Joe Kennedy and Shawn Chacon.

Jennings, 1-4 with a 6.26 ERA, appears worn down by Coors Field after averaging 13 wins and 189 innings for the Rockies over the past three seasons. He might be worth a shot for a team that is looking for an innings-eater, and he does not become eligible for free agency until after the 2007 season.

Wilson, slowly rounding into form in his return from knee surgery, could be a fit for the Orioles, White Sox, Indians, Rangers, Cubs and Nationals if he starts hitting more consistently.