Irresponsible Journalism

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4549933.stm

In its new account, the magazine said that one of its reporters spoke to "his original source, the senior government official, who said that he clearly recalled reading investigative reports about mishandling the Koran, including a toilet incident".

"But the official, still speaking anonymously, could no longer be sure that these concerns had surfaced" in a forthcoming report by the US military, the magazine added.

Whitaker told Reuters news agency that he no longer knew whether the occurrence was genuine.

"As to whether anything like this happened, we just don't know," he said.

The Pentagon has said there is no substance to the specific allegation.

Yah I'm not sold that this actually didn't happen.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
Gotta stay on that "Anti-American" soapbox, eh?

I'm sure that simplistic and ignorant comment came from the chasms of your brain where only superior intellectual comments lie.

Jesus.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 16, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm sure that simplistic and ignorant comment came from the chasms of your brain where only superior intellectual comments lie.

Jesus.

Yeah, that's it. :rolly

And what does Jesus have to do with this?

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 16, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)

If the story was flawed then why did Newsweek run it. You would think that an experienced news editor would have the common sense to ensure his story was accurate before running it, especially something as inflammatory as that.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
You would think that an experienced news editor would have the common sense to ensure his story was accurate before running it, especially something as inflammatory as that.

Especially after what happened to Dan Rather. Unfortunately, the media is about creating news these days, rather than reporting what actually happened.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 16, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Especially after what happened to Dan Rather.  Unfortunately, the media is about creating news these days, rather than reporting what actually happened.

Not only creating news but more to the point, creating news which is detrimental to the Bush Administration.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 16, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Wow, that's interesting.  They ADMIT that parts of their story are completely incorrect, yet won't formally retract it.  They're admitting that they're wrong, but not formally.  Sounds like the same thing to me.

What a bunch of clowns. :headshake

What part are they admitting wasn't correct? They don't really know what was correct.

Newsweek is stuck between reporting on something from a few sources and pressure from the Pentagon and White House

There is too much grey area to draw solid conclusions at this point. And those who are investigating have obvious reasons not to shed light on this. Putting the blame on others can be very convenient.

I'm merely speculating

Oh and a rolling eyes smiley for those of you calling me anti-American, how petty. :rolly :P

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
What part are they admitting wasn't correct?  They don't really know what was correct.

This part...

In an apology to readers this week, Newsweek acknowledged errors in a story alleging U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay desecrated the Quran.

... which suggests that most or all of it is incorrect.

There is too much grey area to draw solid conclusions at this point.

Unfortunately, that didn't stop Newsweek from making false allegations in the first place.

Newsweek is stuck between reporting on something from a few sources and pressure from the Pentagon and White House

Yeah, it's all the White House's fault that Newsweek couldn't prove their accusation. It's not like the liberal media hasn't made false allegations against the Bush administration before. :rolly

Oh and a rolling eyes smiley for those of you calling me anti-American, how petty. :rolly  :P

Your can thank your never-ending stream of anti-American remarks for that. :finger

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Newsweek has retracted its story.  Too bad they won't be held accountable for all of those deaths. :headshake

Yup. A bunch of people are dead, our soldiers were put in danger and our efforts to stabilize Afghanistan suffer a major blow because the editors of some magazine, in their rush to discredit our methods of prosecuting the war against terrorism, didn't bother to fact check their story properly.

To borrow a recent catch phrase around here........

"Wow, just wow."

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
the editors of some magazine, in their rush to discredit our methods of prosecuting the war against terrorism, didn't bother to fact check their story properly. 

I'm no journalist, but it seems to me that if I'm going to make serious allegations that will cause incredible outrage (and, in this case, death), I find more than ONE source to corroborate the story.

I find it odd that this "source" suddenly changed his/her story and am wondering if said person even exists.

To borrow a recent catch phrase around here........

"Wow,  just wow."

:lolhitting

Every dark cloud has a silver lining...

American flag sales have never been better in the region and the match industry is booming...and who said the match stick business would never recover in the middle east.