QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
No, he and Conley are both have been favoring Wake and OSU.  And unless an age limit gets passes Oden will not play college ball because he will be the #1 pick and you have to be stupid to pass that up.

The way they are talking about the NBA CBA, it sounds like a pretty solid bet there will be a 20 year age minimum.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
The way they are talking about the NBA CBA, it sounds like a pretty solid bet there will be a 20 year age minimum.

Oden has repeatedly said, to most analysts' amazement and disbelief, that he wants to go to college. After seeing what LeBron has done, it's pretty amazing that the no doubt about it #1 high schooler would go to college.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
No, he and Conley are both have been favoring Wake and OSU.  And unless an age limit gets passes Oden will not play college ball because he will be the #1 pick and you have to be stupid to pass that up.

Oden will end up in the Big Ten. He's not going to Wake. I'd put a lot on that too. He wants to stay close to home. He'll end up at IU, OSU, or MSU.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Oden has repeatedly said, to most analysts' amazement and disbelief, that he wants to go to college.  After seeing what LeBron has done, it's pretty amazing that the no doubt about it #1 high schooler would go to college.

I have to agree. No matter what he says, baring an age limit, if your #1 you go to the draft. I love college bball, but it would just be stupid not to.

Well OSU is going to face more sanctions and probation time. That's why I think he would have to be dumb to go there. Wherever Conley goes, that's where Oden will end up. I've heard this from Oden before too. He wants to be with Conley since they were teammates forever. He isn't going to the NBA no matter what anyone thinks. He wants to go to college. He said age limit or not, he isn't making the jump. I say we have at least the same chance of landing Oden as we have with Conley because they want to play together. With Ohio State facing possible sanctions, that chance has to move up.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Preliminary votes are in....Scheyer to Duke  "According to various sources on TheDevilsDen.Com"...

Let the meltdown begin... :P

OMG, how could he?? He all misled us into believing he was going to come here. WTF??? Duke came out of nowhere. *Jumps off the bridge*

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
How did Ill and Oden ever become mentioned in the same sentence?

Was it just cubs-caliber optimism by illini fans?

It happened because Conley listed Illinois as one of his options, and as others have said, Oden seems very interested in going to the same school as Conley. I'd be absolutely shocked if he goes to Illinois, he doesn't seem to have any interest. Illinois is the only school Conley has listed that Oden doesn't. I still think Oden ends up in NBA regardless of what he says anyways, people just don't pass up that opportunity.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
It happened because Conley listed Illinois as one of his options, and as others have said, Oden seems very interested in going to the same school as Conley. I'd be absolutely shocked if he goes to Illinois, he doesn't seem to have any interest. Illinois is the only school Conley has listed that Oden doesn't. I still think Oden ends up in NBA regardless of what he says anyways, people just don't pass up that opportunity.

according to scout.com, oden and conley both have illinois listed. Oden has OSU, Wake, Ark, UNC, IU and U of I. Conley has OSU, Wake, Ark, MSU, U of I, UNC, Duke, IU, Stanford, and UK

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
The real loss isn't Scheyer. It's the perception of losing the states best player after a magical season. That's not even mentioning that he was coached by Weber's brother. It just looks bad.

Ding we have a winner. Some of you guys are completely missing the point.

How does it honestly look bad enough to have a major effect on anything?

He's a suburban white kid with a chance to play for one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history for an elite program that gets a lot of media coverage.

But carry on: THE SKY IS FALLING

I don't think the in-state thing is that big of a deal right now. Scheyer isn't that damn good, plus Coach K has always recruited pretty well in Illinois (Maggette, Thompson, Dockery, Livingston, now Scheyer). I really can't imagine us stealing a whole lot of recruits from Coach K. Seriously, if you were a top college basketball prospect, would you go to Illinois, or go to Duke and play for arguably the top school in the last 10 years and the best coach? My bet would be about 1 out of 10. There are better players that are considering Illinois, if you can get some of those guys, that will make a big difference. They do need to start getting some better players eventually though. Dee Brown, Brian Cook, and Frank Williams were key to their run.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

How about this one: I actually go to the University of Illinois and if I were in this kid's shoes, I would have chosen Duke as well.

Illinois isn't going anywhere in the next 2-5 years.

We had our chance. This year was really the one shot we had in my four years at this univeristy and we couldn't get it done. Over.

I was just spoiled rotten my freshman year.

It's official. I checked out the press conference, but couldn't get in the library. However, it was on our HS' radio station. Scheyer said the standard Bull Durham lines about how he loved both schools and it was close and that's why it took so long. He also mentioned how he idolized the Laettner Duke teams and it sounds like as soon as they came calling he knew he was going there but also knew he couldn't rush the decision.

It was pretty cool to see all the news trucks outside (2, 5, 7) and a lot of people at the press conference.