C.Lee

Princess Dye

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 22, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Some people can't be pleased with 31-12 and have to resort to their other scenarios that could have played out.  You are exactly right, they wouldn't want Paul Konerko.  Everyone should just be pleased with where we are and quit thinking up bulls*** that didn't happen.  Get over it.  Lee is gone, he was a dog in the clubhouse based on the Marte stuff that came out and I'm glad we have Pods.

Some people can't be pleased with a trade working out well for his team but instead find the need to trash the guy incessently.............

It's a known fact he was on the trade block at the time.  And a 3-way involving Konerko is not exclusive to the A's.  There were other teams interested in Koney's HR power that likewise had good hitting OFers that could have been used.

On what basis do you have to claim Everett would suck at 1B?  He's below average in errors, above average in assists, & has claim to several web gems in his career.  What makes you think he's any less of an athlete than Koney to make plays at 1B?

Of course Carl would not have to play there all the time because we had Gload coming off a good year.  They could have shared DH/1B duties until Thomas returned.

It's one think to love Konerko but quite another to allow that love to blind you in ignorance.

Ummm, maybe because he's never played there? :lol:

Blind ignorance is thinking that 3-way trades are simple to work out with a team like the A's who already have Scott Hatteberg, Erubiel Durazo, and Daric Barton in the minors. :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Some people can't be pleased with a trade working out well for his team but instead find the need to trash the guy incessently.............

He wouldn't have to be trashed if he hadn't treated Marte that way. He deserves to be trashed, just like Ordonez. Get off his sack.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
It's a known fact he was on the trade block at the time.  And a 3-way involving Konerko is not exclusive to the A's.  There were other teams interested in Koney's HR power that likewise had good hitting OFers that could have been used.

On what basis do you have to claim Everett would suck at 1B?  He's below average in errors, above average in assists, & has claim to several web gems in his career.  What makes you think he's any less of an athlete than Koney to make plays at 1B?

Of course Carl would not have to play there all the time because we had Gload coming off a good year.  They could have shared DH/1B duties until Thomas returned.

It's one think to love Konerko but quite another to allow that love to blind you in ignorance.

Contrary, to what you say about Kotsay being on the block, I've read just the opposite. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not "a fact".

I never said anything about Everett sucking at 1B. Where did that come from?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Contrary, to what you say about Kotsay being on the block, I've read just the opposite.  So as far as I'm concerned, it's not "a fact".

I never said anything about Everett sucking at 1B.  Where did that come from?

You have to remember, there are a lot of "know facts" and "known statistics" that popup in arguments that aren't really true. :P

Did you bother to follow any of the trade rumors involving Oakland this past year?  Apparently not.  Beane was desperate to land a HR hitter to replace what was lost in Tejada.  OBP was not as high a priority as HRs.

Yeah, and he was looking into trading for a power-hitting outfielder like Mike Cameron or Reggie Sanders (which were the rumors), not a 1st baseman like Konerko. The rumor was that Beane was using Eric Byrnes as his bargaining chip. He would have needed to replace Byrnes with another outfielder. So where in f***'s sakes was Konerko going to play for the A's? They already have Hatteberg AND Durazo. There is no way in hell that Beane wanted Konerko. Damn, you have a thick skull.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 22, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
He wouldn't have to be trashed if he hadn't treated Marte that way.  He deserves to be trashed, just like Ordonez.  Get off his sack.

Yea, yea, yea...he was a clubhouse cancer...yada, yada, yada.....whatever.

Oh wait, are we talking about CLee or AJP?????

If you want to believe that KW couldn't not have gotten Pods for anything less than C Lee then that's your problem. But those of us who follow the game & not just the WSox know better.

The same applies towards 3-way poss w Konerko.

The biggest sign of ignorance in this thread is the statement that Everett can't be an adequate 1B because he has no experience. That's ignorant of how many players in the game over the years who have converted to 1B w/out having any experience there. It happens all the time.

As for the statistics remarks it comes as no surprise that if a person doesn't understand the value of a statistic they will view it as being meaningless.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
If you want to believe that KW couldn't not have gotten Pods for anything less than C Lee then that's your problem. But those of us who follow the game & not just the WSox know better.

Alright Peter Gammons. You sure are a pleathora of baseball knowledge.

The biggest sign of ignorance in this thread is the statement that Everett can't be an adequate 1B because he has no experience.  That's ignorant of how many players in the game over the years who have converted to 1B w/out having any experience there. It happens all the time.

As for the statistics remarks it comes as no surprise that if a person doesn't understand the value of a statistic they will view it as being meaningless.

Way to change the topic. Why don't you respond to my previous post?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)

The biggest sign of ignorance in this thread is the statement that Everett can't be an adequate 1B because he has no experience.  That's ignorant of how many players in the game over the years who have converted to 1B w/out having any experience there. It happens all the time.

You know what, dude? You need to get off your high horse. You are not the be all, end all when it comes to baseball intellect. You have an opinion just like everyone else on here, and if someone disagrees with you, it is not a sign of ignorance. In fact, I'd lean to the opposite conclusion.

Yeah, and he was looking into trading for a power-hitting outfielder like Mike Cameron or Reggie Sanders (which were the rumors), not a 1st baseman like Konerko.  The rumor was that Beane was using Eric Byrnes as his bargaining chip.  He would have needed to replace Byrnes with another outfielder.  So where in f***'s sakes was Konerko going to play for the A's?  They already have Hatteberg AND Durazo.  There is no way in hell that Beane wanted Konerko.  Damn, you have a thick skull.

Both Kotsay & Byrnes were mentioned in those rumors because Beane was not sure he would be able to sign Kotsay to an extension. This was at the time there was still hope in them keeping their aces as well. As for Hatteberg & Durazo .. please. We are talking apples & oranges in comparison to Koney. Just look at their HR numbers the past 3 yrs!

No one will ever really know because after all as fans are information comes from trade rumors reported by sports media. Sometimes those rumors are fabricated because a writer wants a trade to happen. But to suggest the A's did not have a need for Koney is foolish. It undermines the value of his 41HR, 117RBI season in 2004.

You know what, dude?  You need to get off your high horse.  You are not the be all, end all when it comes to baseball intellect.  You have an opinion just like everyone else on here, and if someone disagrees with you, it is not a sign of ignorance.  In fact, I'd lean to the opposite conclusion.

When their opinion has some basis in common sense, logic, or factual knowledge then I will lean towards it. Until then I'll stick with mine. If you don't like it then try rebutting it with something worthy of my time.

I'm out of this thread. For the rest of you who love to digress these down to personal attack threads - have at it. Such actions reflect on your maturity level.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Both Kotsay & Byrnes were mentioned in those rumors because Beane was not sure he would be able to sign Kotsay to an extension.   This was at the time there was still hope in them keeping their aces as well.  As for Hatteberg & Durazo .. please.  We are talking apples & oranges in comparison to Koney.   Just look at their HR numbers the past 3 yrs! 

No one will ever really know because after all as fans are information comes from trade rumors reported by sports media.  Sometimes those rumors are fabricated because a writer wants a trade to happen.  But to suggest the A's did not have a need for Koney is foolish.  It undermines the value of his 41HR, 117RBI season in 2004.

So a small payroll team like the A's is going to add Konerko and his $8.75 million salary (plus $500,000 if he is traded) and bench either Hatteberg (.359 career OBP) or Durazo (.382 career OBP)? LOL, GMAFB.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
When their opinion as some basis in common sense, logic, or factual knowledge then I will lean towards it.  Until then I'll stick with mine.  If you don't like it then try rebutting it with something worthy of my time.

Basically, you're not worthy of my time. You never listen to, nor consider any opinion but yours as valid. You make some good points. You make some idiotic conclusions as well. And ... regarding Kotsay, there is no mention on rotoworld about Kotsay being on the trade block through the offseason. Beane IS trying to lock him up to a long term contract.

Basically, you're not worthy of my time.  You never listen to, nor consider any opinion but yours as valid.  You make some good points.  You make some idiotic conclusions as well.  And ... regarding Kotsay, there is no mention on rotoworld about Kotsay being on the trade block through the offseason.  Beane IS trying to lock him up to a long term contract.

I've been banned once this year for simply being argumentative in another post. No violation of a rule & nothing any worse than that of any other member posting in that thread.

I'm well aware that when it comes to certain moderators of this site I do not share their political or anti-religious views & that is going to stack the deck against me in any & all threads. Though it reaks of injustice it is still better than WSI. Get into a baseball argument with a moderator over there & you will be banned for life. For that I am thankful to SOXTALK because they provide an outlet for WSox fans like myself.

You have not convinced me that the WSox needed to trade C Lee to get Pods.

I have not convinced you that they could have gotten Pods for less than the value of C Lee. So let's just respectfully disagree on that issue & move on.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
I've been banned once this year for simply being argumentative in another post.  No violation of a rule & nothing any worse than that of any other member posting in that thread.

I'm well aware that when it comes to certain moderators of this site I do not share their political or anti-religious views & that is going to stack the deck against me in any & all threads. Though it reaks of injustice it is still better than WSI.  Get into a baseball argument with a moderator over there & you will be banned for life.  For that I am thankful to SOXTALK because they provide an outlet for WSox fans like myself.

I have not convinced you that they could have gotten Pods for less than the value of C Lee.  So let's just respectfully disagree on that issue & move on.

You have a deal. :cheers

I've been banned once this year for simply being argumentative in another post.  No violation of a rule & nothing any worse than that of any other member posting in that thread.

I'm well aware that when it comes to certain moderators of this site I do not share their political or anti-religious views & that is going to stack the deck against me in any & all threads. Though it reaks of injustice it is still better than WSI.  Get into a baseball argument with a moderator over there & you will be banned for life.  For that I am thankful to SOXTALK because they provide an outlet for WSox fans like myself.

I have not convinced you that they could have gotten Pods for less than the value of C Lee.  So let's just respectfully disagree on that issue & move on.

Spend your time answering my last post...

So a small payroll team like the A's is going to add Konerko and his $8.75 million salary (plus $500,000 if he is traded) and bench either Hatteberg (.359 career OBP) or Durazo (.382 career OBP)?  LOL, GMAFB.

So a small payroll team like the A's is going to add Konerko and his $8.75 million salary (plus $500,000 if he is traded) and bench either Hatteberg (.359 career OBP) or Durazo (.382 career OBP)?  LOL, GMAFB.

Beane is not afraid to take on big money players with short term contracts. He's demonstrated that over the years. Plus it's not out of the question for the White Sox to throw in a little cash to get the deal done. It happens all the time in MLB trades. That's what the Pirates did in the Kendall trade.

Durazo, Hatteberg, & Koney could have shared DH+1B duties to get them all adequate AB's. Not much different than what Ozzie is doing with Dye, Everett, & eventually Thomas.

If the A's are in need of getting a man on in late innings replace Koney with Hatteberg. If they are in need of a big hit or a HR bench replace Hatteberg with Koney. However; Beane would have been more likely to trade either Durazo or Hatteberg to fill another weakness having obtained Koney.

Finally there's too much bashing of Koney's OBP.

2005 vs LH .139A .295O .333S; vs. RH .243A .353O .478S

2004 vs LH .288A .372O .577S; vs RH .273A .354O .518S

That was not a weakness for him in 2004. His 2004 numbers greatly reduce the risk to Beane in that area.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)

You wouldn't have so many people coming after you if you didn't act like such a know it all. Personally, I don't have anything against you at all, I think you post some good stuff for discussion. The only real problem I have is that you often pass others opinions off as being ignorant and as YAS said, seem to be on a high horse at times. You're not going to get banned or suspended due to your beliefs, trust me on that. Now, as you were.