Best yet to come for White Sox ace Garland

greasywheels121

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
I wouldnt label El Duque as ace... he has been very effective so far but he has been hit pretty hard even with the low era and than an ace has to go more than what 2.2 innings  :puke 

Buehrle and Garland = Aces

Garcia, Contreras, and El Duque = solid 2's

thats rating them on how they have done on this season so far.

Talk to me in October, then tell me if Hernandez isn't an ace. He wins when it counts.

Garland is not an ace. El Duque is. What makes an ace?

Winning % over time plus K's. It's really that simple.

El Duque career: 733K's, 7.15K/9, 66W, 41L, 1.26WHIP, .239BAA, 3.96ERA : +25W

Mark B's career: 627K's, 5.30K/9, 76W, 46L, 1.23WHIP, .259BAA, 3.70ERA : +30W

Garcia's career: 959K's, 6.85K/9, 89W, 57L, 1.29WHIP, .248BAA, 3.92ERA : +32W

Garland's career: 467K's, 4.92K/9, 54W, 52L, 1.41WHIP, .265BAA, 4.52ERA : +2W

I challenge you to come up with one other ace on another team who doesn't have a K/9 > 5. If you don't reach that mark you can't be an ace.

Zito has a career avg of 7K/9, Mulder 5.97, & Hudson is higher than both of them. Even Maddux a finesse pitcher has a 6.27K/9 avg.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
you mean when he has a tired arm and is on the DL winning us games?

Go back and look at his playoff record. He singlehandedly carried the Yankees to the playoffs, and kept winning there as the rest of the team fell apart. I don't know about you, but personally I would rather have pitchers that win when it matters.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Go back and look at his playoff record.  He singlehandedly carried the Yankees to the playoffs, and kept winning there as the rest of the team fell apart.  I don't know about you, but personally I would rather have pitchers that win when it matters.

Yes he did do that, but look at what he has done recently... Injury riddled and than tired arm bs after he started great with the yanks... than he gets a tired shoulder with us after like 7 starts.... El Duque isnt the same pitcher he was back than.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
Yes he did do that, but look at what he has done recently... Injury riddled and than tired arm bs after he started great with the yanks... than he gets a tired shoulder with us after like 7 starts.... El Duque isnt the same pitcher he was back than.

The playoffs of 2004 is too long ago?

Look past the "sore arm" BS. El Duque is on the DL because the Sox wanted to give Brandon McCarthy a taste of the majors right now. If these games meant anything, I get the sneaking suspicion that Hernandez would be pitching right now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)

He would be playing right now if it were later in the year(down the stretch) or in the playoffs. KW and Ozzie told Hernandez that they would give him breaks at certain points in the season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:53 AM)
The playoffs of 2004 is too long ago?

Look past the "sore arm" BS.  El Duque is on the DL because the Sox wanted to give Brandon McCarthy a taste of the majors right now.  If these games meant anything, I get the sneaking suspicion that Hernandez would be pitching right now.

Did you watch the playoffs of 2004? El Duque didnt do much in them and he made 1 start which he didnt do that great in...

QUOTE(mreye @ May 25, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Ladies and gentlemen, Nostrodamus! :notworthy

You got that right. If you're going to define the term "Ace" by a player's performance in the current season (or past season if it's the offseason), then right now, Garland would be an "Ace", but if you define it by what a player has done in his career, Garland is certainly not an "Ace". Buehrle would be an ace no matter how you slice it IMO, because he is dominating right now, and anyone with 76 wins, and a +30 W/L differential in basically 4 1/3 years of starting in MLB is doing a damn good job, not to mention the fact that for over a season worth of starts, Buehrle has gone at least 6 innings.

El Duque is a proven big game pitcher. Is he an ace? Ace can mean many things to many different people. I'd classify an ace as guy that can put the rest of the staff and carry them. He stops losing streaks, pitches lots of innings to rest the pen and can be counted on to pitch that clutch game. So, as of now, by that criteria El Duque is not an ace. He can be very damn valuable though, and that should be good enough. Buehrle's our ace.

It's a known fact that NYY misued El Duque & that's why he experienced so much time on the DL. All you have to do is look at his game logs to see it.

3 or 4 consecutive games of high 120-130 pitch counts & then a 3 inning effort.

The WSox are not going to do that this year. They are going to keep in in the 100-110 mark & not hesitate to sit him down if he feels any discomfort at all.

That's a good method for keeping him healthy & fresh for the Sept stretch.

He's already paid for his salary in his impact on Contreras.