Which GM has done a better job

Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Dbaho why did you waste your time?

I have too much time on my hands. :P I just wanna see if he answers any of those.

Edited by DBAH0

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Had a conversation with a friend he thinks Ron Schueler is a way better GM than KW. Where I think Kenny is the better of the two...

Who do you all think

Not even close...Kenny. Schueler didn't have the guts to build a winner. Kenny has had some moves that didn't pay off, but he has the stones to make the big time moves that may put the club in line to win it all. A GM needs that.

Hell there aren't many moves that he made that I wouldn't of made at the time. I'm not going to second guess, dont' believe in it. If your for a move at a time than I don't think your entitled to bash a guy for it.

Now if you look at things, you'd like to take back two deals...the Kip Wells fiasco (I hated giving up Wells...always will, although last year he wasn't all that grand). That was one I hated from day one, but at least it doesn't look like Kip will win a cy young. Then there was the Billy Koch deal but considering Jerry Manuel had shown signs of giving up on Foulke and you had Keith whining about wanting to give starting a shot, it seemed like a good move, plus the Sox were getting a good kid in Cotts and they'd have control of Koch a little longer. The Koch move made total sense to me (boy was I wrong, lol).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Actually, there was strong interest in the Clemens camp. Shueler nixed it because he thought Clemens was done. Clemens went on to Toronto on the cheap and the rest is history.

Ya, you know damn well he'd of chosen Chicago over Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...
1) How many games has Juan Uribe played at 3rd?

2) How could we afford Cabrera if Uribe was going to replace Joe Crede, and you still want us to get Gooch?

3) Russ Ortiz is signed for 1 more year and will make an extra $12 million.

4) Who can we get from Atlanta to be our next GM? It's not like there's a Paul DePodesta or J.P Riccardi waiting in the wings to take over there.

5) Orlando Cabrera - .229/.296/.347 all for $32 million over 4 years. Since he's turning it around, splits in May; .196/.281/.255

6) The man he replaced; David Eckstein - .299/.368/.390 all for $10.2 million over 3 years.

7) Would you still take Orlando Hernandez with his "DL Stints and all" over Russ Ortiz for a less $25 million over 2 less years?

8) Who said that Jaret Wright was "GREAT"

9) So KW was "forced" to hire Ozzie. You think he may have quit if he wasn't able to do his job to its fullest capabilities?

10) JR is never going to ink a pitcher long - term. Mark Buerhle is locked up until 2007 with an option for 2008 IIRC. Freddy Garcia locked up until 2007. JG will most likely get a long - term deal worked out. Jose Contreras and Orlando Hernandez locked up until 2006. But I guess since we're not handing out Mike Hampton style contracts to the likes of Russ Ortiz, it's just not good enough right?

11) What do you think of Matt Clement now compared to 4-6 months ago?

12) You called for a pitching first team. Well if Russ Ortiz and co. were in our rotation, you think we would have still won 33 games this season?

13) Would you rather win 13 straight divisional titles like Atlanta, or 2 world series like the Florida Marlins?

14) You think KW would still go for the long ball approach even without Ozzie, with what has happened over the past 4 seasons? Watch the Minnesota Twins, that's what he did.

15) When Gio comes up (most likely 2007,2008), yes MB will still be here. He has a 9.5 million option for 2008 IIRC.

16) If you don't like 2nd place finishes, how do you think the fans of the Kansas City Royals feel? The Detroit Tigers?

Remind me to bump all of these threads at the end of the season.  ;)

1) 27

2) ABout time owners pony up some of their own cash..

3)The debate was between signing, Ortiz or Wright..please tell me that you still think signing wright over Ortiz was the wise choice?

4) Don't know this one, don't follow the braves But when you have that many trips to the post season someone in the front office knows what they are doing.

5) Okay, but as Hawk always says there is more to baseball than numbers...

6) Both Players are playing on first place teams..Whats ur point?

7)No, read above

8)You have the search feature..

9) No, why would he, what other GM can have as many f***-ups as him and still mange to have a job. Hell a monkey picking names out of a hat could not be as bad.

10)Again read above.

11) I was wrong, we should have went after him, as well as Derek Lowe. I know weird for me to misjudge talent.

12)Again read above.

13) Yes

14) Yes, this is Ozzie team.. he made the most noise to get the type of team I wanted since the end of the 02 season on the feild. KW just finally had to let go of his power team.

15) Whats the question? Should we trade Gio for ALomar?

16)Both were in the process of rebuilding and have greatly smaller payrolls than us, big difference. When you are suppose to be an elite team, there is no excuse for 2nd place finishes.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
16)Both were in the process of rebuilding and have greatly smaller payrolls than us, big difference. When you are suppose to be an elite team, there is no excuse for 2nd place finishes.

Quick question: did you go to any of the games at Petco?