Ozzie Contribution to W-L

Texsox

What impact, if any, has Ozzie's Managerial Performance on the team's record?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What impact, if any, has Ozzie's Managerial Performance on the team's record?

• +3 or more games
    • +1 or 2 games
    • 0 impact
    • -1 or -2 games
    • -3 or more games

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
Tell me though, if Guillen is such a horrible manager, who would you prefer managing this ballclub, and where would they be in the standings?

That brings up a good point, I would really have to think about this. To be honest, I am more peeved at extending his deal through 2009 than anything else. I'll definitly have to get back to you on that one though.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
That brings up a good point, I would really have to think about this.  To be honest, I am more peeved at extending his deal through 2009 than anything else.  I'll definitly have to get back to you on that one though.

That is my thing with all of this.

You can question Ozzie's moves all you want to...because he makes boneheaded moves as a manager, but I doubt there is any other manager that has this team at 35-17, when push comes to shove.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
That is my thing with all of this.

You can question Ozzie's moves all you want to...because he makes boneheaded moves as a manager, but I doubt there is any other manager that has this team at 35-17, when push comes to shove.

You're right, if we had a different manager we have a worse record, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Again though, now 11 people have voted that Ozzie Guillens in-game managerial skills have contributed to 3+ wins thus far this season.  Are people just misunderstanding the question or do you honestly believe this?  If it's the latter, please do tell.

Actually, the question said nothing about in-game skills. It's a matter of interpretation, not misunderstanding.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Actually, the question said nothing about in-game skills. It's a matter of interpretation, not misunderstanding.

Good point. It's all in how you interpret the question. If it's how his in game decisions have effected this team well it's a negative but if it's overall managerial presence then it's no doubt a positive effect.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)

"What impact, if any, has Ozzie's Managerial Performance on the team's record?"

This was the question asked. I am assuming Managerial performance is referring to his in-game performance, but maybe when he's taking a leak in the clubhouse he is also performing mangerially by making decisions such as to urinate next to Shingo Takatsu instead of Joe Crede.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)

This was the question asked.  I am assuming Managerial performance is referring to his in-game performance, but maybe when he's taking a leak in the clubhouse he is also performing mangerially by making decisions such as to urinate next to Shingo Takatsu instead of Joe Crede.

You can make a strong case that how he manages the clubhouse has at least as much to do with managerial performance as in-game performance.

Case in point: the 2005 Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)

This was the question asked.  I am assuming Managerial performance is referring to his in-game performance, but maybe when he's taking a leak in the clubhouse he is also performing mangerially by making decisions such as to urinate next to Shingo Takatsu instead of Joe Crede.

Like I said, that's your interpretation. If you think managing a ball club involves only in-game decisions, then I'd say that is a naive point of view.

Take a business management class and you will learn that managing people involves a plethora of skills that can't be measured on a timecard, a balance sheet, or a lineup card. That's where I'm coming from. One thing that's obvious to me is that a group of people who respect their boss, any group of people, are going to perform better than they would with a boss they can't stand.

Edited by nvxplorer

woooo beer! :drink :drink

But seriously, Ozzies in-game managing might have cost us. That said, the way he manages a team (calls out guys, gets the coaches coaching, etc.) is superb and is likely the reason we're winning. The Sox and Bulls are virtual mirror images of each other (except the 2005 MLB favors the formula a bit more than the 2005 NBA).

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Like I said, that's your interpretation. If you think managing a ball club involves only in-game decisions, then I'd say that is a naive point of view.

Take a business management class and you will learn that managing people involves a plethora of skills that can't be measured on a timecard, a balance sheet, or a lineup card. That's where I'm coming from. One thing that's obvious to me is that a group of people who respect their boss, any group of people, are going to perform better than they would with a boss they can't stand.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I think Ozzie's in-game skills leave a very lot to be desired. I do agree though that he is getting the most from this team. I don't see anybody else having a better record witht this team than Ozzie. I do think that there are a number that would have it right there with Ozzie or very close. There are different managerial styles that could work with this team. My main point is though that while "chemistry" and the things that Ozzie does that we praise may lead them to a great season, in the playoffs its in-game skills that are more important. Where does that leave us. As we all know, it's only his 2nd year. Hopefully he can learn and get better as time goes by.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I think Ozzie's in-game skills leave a very lot to be desired. I do agree though that he is getting the most from this team. I don't see anybody else having a better record witht this team than Ozzie. I do think that there are a number that would have it right there with Ozzie or very close. There are different managerial styles that could work with this team. My main point is though that while "chemistry" and the things that Ozzie does that we praise may lead them to a great season, in the playoffs its in-game skills that are more important. Where does that leave us. As we all know, it's only his 2nd year. Hopefully he can learn and get better as time goes by.

Agreed. The key statement is that it's only his second year. From what I can tell, Ozzie is no egomaniac. As a player, and as a coach in Florida, he respected and learned from his mentors. I see no reason why he won't improve in the game calling category. He doesn't let the press bother him, and he doesn't take s*** from anyone. I think he'll be just fine. No manager learns without making mistakes, and Ozzie is no different.