Podsednik to be on ESPN at 2pm

sin city sox fan

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
And of course the ESPN guy has to bring up the fact that Chicago is a Cubs city.  :headshake

Chicago is indeed a Cubs city. Wrigley is packed and the majority of baseball fans in Chicago are Cubs fans, but I just don't understand why that is. The Cubs are not a Chicago team. Rather, like the Yankees and Red Sox, they are a National team that plays to a National market. You almost never hear a Cubs player say they are playing for Chicago, but rather, for Cubs fans at best or at worst for themselves and their teammates only (one of the few exceptions I can think of is Karros). The mystique that surrounds the Cubs, "the loveable losers," is so anti-Chicago as well. Rather than a crew that uses mind-boggling excuses like "a curse" to explain decades of failure, the White Sox carry on their large shoulders the load of having thrown one of their most recent chances to win the World Series. This fix was based on players protesting management too cheap to pay them their dues, which has harbored a mistrust of upper-management that should seemingly fit the blue collar roots of Chicago. As Sox fans, we celebrate a team grounded in reality and disappointment, that seams to find ways to lose year after year, but we are realistic and understand our destiny, rather than to boundlessly embrace "next year" a notion which seems more in line with America in general and a National audience, rather than a Chicago audience.

When I watch the White Sox, I enjoy a team for Chicago and not for America. It is a team that embodies me. This is Chicago's team and no one else's. If the ChiSox ever win it all, it will be a win for Chicago and not a spectacle for everyone as would be the case if the Cubs won.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Chicago is indeed a Cubs city.  Wrigley is packed and the majority of baseball fans in Chicago are Cubs fans, but I just don't understand why that is.  The Cubs are not a Chicago team.  Rather, like the Yankees and Red Sox, they are a National team that plays to a National market.  You almost never hear a Cubs player say they are playing for Chicago, but rather, for Cubs fans at best or at worst for themselves and their teammates only (one of the few exceptions I can think of is Karros).  The mystique that surrounds the Cubs, "the loveable losers," is so anti-Chicago as well.  Rather than a crew that uses mind-boggling excuses like "a curse" to explain decades of failure, the White Sox carry on their large shoulders the load of having thrown one of their most recent chances to win the World Series.  This fix was based on players protesting management too cheap to pay them their dues, which has harbored a mistrust of upper-management that should seemingly fit the blue collar roots of Chicago.  As Sox fans, we celebrate a team grounded in reality and disappointment, that seams to find ways to lose year after year, but we are realistic and understand our destiny, rather than to boundlessly embrace "next year" a notion which seems more in line with America in general and a National audience, rather than a Chicago audience.

When I watch the White Sox, I enjoy a team for Chicago and not for America.  It is a team that embodies me.  This is Chicago's team and no one else's.  If the ChiSox ever win it all, it will be a win for Chicago and not a spectacle for everyone as would be the case if the Cubs won.

[humming "America the Beautiful"...no wait...I mean, "My Kind of Town"]

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
When I watch the White Sox, I enjoy a team for Chicago and not for America.  It is a team that embodies me.  This is Chicago's team and no one else's.  If the ChiSox ever win it all, it will be a win for Chicago and not a spectacle for everyone as would be the case if the Cubs won.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
Chicago is indeed a Cubs city.  Wrigley is packed and the majority of baseball fans in Chicago are Cubs fans, but I just don't understand why that is.  The Cubs are not a Chicago team.  Rather, like the Yankees and Red Sox, they are a National team that plays to a National market.  You almost never hear a Cubs player say they are playing for Chicago, but rather, for Cubs fans at best or at worst for themselves and their teammates only (one of the few exceptions I can think of is Karros).  The mystique that surrounds the Cubs, "the loveable losers," is so anti-Chicago as well.  Rather than a crew that uses mind-boggling excuses like "a curse" to explain decades of failure, the White Sox carry on their large shoulders the load of having thrown one of their most recent chances to win the World Series.  This fix was based on players protesting management too cheap to pay them their dues, which has harbored a mistrust of upper-management that should seemingly fit the blue collar roots of Chicago.  As Sox fans, we celebrate a team grounded in reality and disappointment, that seams to find ways to lose year after year, but we are realistic and understand our destiny, rather than to boundlessly embrace "next year" a notion which seems more in line with America in general and a National audience, rather than a Chicago audience.

Great post wedge!! :gosox3:

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)

SOX PRIDE!