Realistic Trades... No Chavez or A ROds

ARow33

While we're on the Subject...KW talked about trades to the Sun Times today.

General manager Ken Williams refuses to say he definitely will not make a trade before next month's deadline, but the prospect of making one makes him uneasy.

It seems that if the team with the best record in baseball makes a deal, it has the potential to do more harm than good.

''That's a good way to put it,'' Williams said. ''You have to tread carefully, I think, because there is such a connection among these guys and there is such a belief in one another, you run the danger as a general manager of stepping in maybe where you don't belong. Sometimes I think there is a time for you to be aggressive and try to initiate change for the better, and sometimes I think you have to hold back.

''I won't deny we're exploring all sorts of possibilities, but that's all they are. I'm not sure whether we should go down these roads.''

As for the rumors that Frank Thomas or Carl Everett might be dealt because they're robbing each other of playing time, Williams said that kind of talk is premature.

''Carl has helped us get to where we are today and provides us with a lefty bat that sometimes we need to balance us out a bit,'' Williams said. ''You consider that and you consider what he means to the club inside the clubhouse.''

Williams happened to be stepping out of a Denver restaurant Wednesday for a short walk to the ballpark when Everett walked by. The two made the 15-minute walk together, giving Williams a chance to have a talk with Everett.

''You give them the information: Here's what I'm thinking, here's what the deal is, let's talk about it as men and figure out what is in the best interests of everyone,'' Williams said. ''[Everett] is a winner, and he wants [to win].''

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
Mackowiak or Aubrey Huff. Both of those guys play multiple positions and would make our bench a whole lot deeper, especially since Gload still isn't ready.

Another arm for the pen might be helpful as well.

CWSOX45

i'd give up some prospects for huff. hes a stud and would be stellar in a decent line-up. i think he's played 3b before too.

Huff would cost 2 much in terms of prospects I think for us, regardless of what you all think it is true that Willy Mo Pena is on the trading block because like said earlier the surplus of OF's they have and I wouldnt mind him(but with Dye turning things around might be pointless)

I think are best option would be Randa which we could require right now, Mackowiack would be nice too but right now the pirates are playing good baseball and wont get rid of him until they are way way out of it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Huff would cost 2 much in terms of prospects I think for us, regardless of what you all think it is true that Willy Mo Pena is on the trading block because like said earlier the surplus of OF's they have and I wouldnt mind him(but with Dye turning things around might be pointless)

I think are best option would be Randa which we could require right now, Mackowiack would be nice too but right now the pirates are playing good baseball and wont get rid of him until they are way way out of it.

Pena would cost alot too. He is 23, cheap, and rake, and is under control of the Reds for atleast three more years, probably four.

Willie Mo isn't on the trading block. I heard it from my buddy who lives in Cincy. They put Austin Kearns on the trading block. They like Willie too much and think he could be a franchise type player for them. Only reason Austin is getting some PT is because the Reds are trying to showcase him.