KW: I Suck at Amatuer Scouting

Hatchetman

from today's sun-times

STAY AWAY: Williams was asked his thoughts on this year's draft, which ended Wednesday, and he came to a realization.

''The one thing that I have had to come to terms with is, I [stink] at amateur scouting,'' Williams said. ''I am so much better at evaluating minor-league players and major-league players that it's probably best for me to just get out of the way.''

QUOTE(poorme @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
from today's sun-times

STAY AWAY: Williams was asked his thoughts on this year's draft, which ended Wednesday, and he came to a realization.

''The one thing that I have had to come to terms with is, I [stink] at amateur scouting,'' Williams said. ''I am so much better at evaluating minor-league players and major-league players that it's probably best for me to just get out of the way.''

i'm sure the pittsburgh pirates, kip wells, josh fogg, and todd ritchie have something to say about that.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
his moves of late have been tremendous (podsednik, contreras, garcia, etc.) but before this past year, he was just flat out terrible (koch, ritchie, alomar, etc.)

Ritchie...Schueler

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
his moves of late have been tremendous (podsednik, contreras, garcia, etc.) but before this past year, he was just flat out terrible (koch, ritchie, alomar, etc.)

He's been doing very well much longer than that, jersey...

Uribe? Marte? Politte? Gordon? Cotts?

On top of that, most of the minor league talent he has traded hasn't done anything, meaning he is "trading the right guys"...

Besides, even in that Ritchie deal, he only gave up players that the Sox didn't want/need. Kip Wells still s***s himself in pressure situations and Fogg and Lowe? What have they done that would have warranted a roster spot on the Sox the last few years?

QUOTE(poorme @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
from today's sun-times

Since he became GM, he has had a total hand-off policy on the draft, allowing his scouting director and minions to completely dictate the draft (with of course some working guidelines from the top). He hasn't been present for the draft the last 3 years at least, been elsewhere during the event.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
He's been doing very well much longer than that, jersey...

Uribe?  Marte?  Politte?  Gordon?  Cotts?

On top of that, most of the minor league talent he has traded hasn't done anything, meaning he is "trading the right guys"...

Besides, even in that Ritchie deal, he only gave up players that the Sox didn't want/need.  Kip Wells still s***s himself in pressure situations and Fogg and Lowe?  What have they done that would have warranted a roster spot on the Sox the last few years?

Uribe? Yeah, no way Aaron Miles could match his monster stats.

And if you're really going to base Kenny's greatness on four middle relief guys, i'd like to buy some of that dope you are smoking. especially when you say we didn't need kip wells and josh fogg (two starters) yet we traded them for a STARTER. so exactly how didn't we need them?

And if Kenny is so great, how come we haven't made the postseason in the s***ty central since the Nixon administration?

Edited by jerseysox

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)

And if you're really going to base Kenny's greatness on four middle relief guys, i'd like to buy some of that dope you are smoking. especially when you say we didn't need kip wells and josh fogg (two starters) yet we traded them for a STARTER. so exactly how didn't we need them?

And if Kenny is so great, how come we haven't made the postseason in the s***ty central since the Nixon administration?

Well Josh Fogg is a bad starter in the NL so i dont know why your so upset about losing him. And the point is he has become a better GM as time has passed, also Aaron Miles is totally a product of Coors Field and he cant play SS anyways and id much rather have Iguchi.

As for the post-season, well last year when your 2 best hitters go down for over half the season and your an offensive team, what did you expect? Not 2 mention no one thought Loaiza would be good as his 2003 form but to predict he would totally suck was impossible.

In 2003 Buehrle and Konerko played like garbage for a whole part of the season and we were in it till the end.

and now in 2005 we are the best team in the majors, so heres a clue... shutup and watch this team play.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)

I'm sure that you are exaggerating here.

Since the Central didn't exist until 1994 and the Sox won it in 2000.

I'd take Uribe over Miles any day.

Miles=journeyman and a byproduct (and not even that good of a byproduct) of Coors field

Uribe=Decent SS who has a good shot at being a solid everyday player

And, not to mention, Uribe can play 2B, 3B, and SS, whereas Miles can only play 2B.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)

:stupid

Aaron Miles is such a fantastic player... A firehydrant has better range, and last I checked, we didn't need a 2B, we need a SS to be a successor to Jose... Nobody plays harder than Uribe and he's VERy solid with the glove.

We didn't need Kip and Fogg because they SUCKED MY NUTS. They are mediocre pitchers in the NL for a team that can't field a .500 club for the life of them. They would not have contributed. Ritchie didn't turn out like we hoped, but Fogg and Wells wouldn't have done a damned thing in Chicago, so what's the difference?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
:stupid

Aaron Miles is such a fantastic player...  A firehydrant has better range, and last I checked, we didn't need a 2B, we need a SS to be a successor to Jose...  Nobody plays harder than Uribe and he's VERy solid with the glove.

We didn't need Kip and Fogg because they SUCKED MY NUTS.  They are mediocre pitchers in the NL for a team that can't field a .500 club for the life of them.  They would not have contributed.  Ritchie didn't turn out like we hoped, but Fogg and Wells wouldn't have done a damned thing in Chicago, so what's the difference?

Well dont go that far, Kip is a good solid pitcher and Id take him on our pitching staff any day of the week, as for Fogg well he hasnt turned out that well... but one thing i read about him he is a lot more dominant the first 3 innings than his last 3 innings. So that sounds like the making of a good RP.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Well dont go that far, Kip is a good solid pitcher and Id take him on our pitching staff any day of the week

:puke

Apparently you don't see many Pirates games. He still craps himself regularly. I was done with him when he was traded and he has done nothing to "grow" as a player since he left. He's one of those maddeningly talented pitchers who just doesn't have it upstairs. You take him out of Pittsburg and put him in Chicago, NY, Texas, Oakland, Seattle, and he's back to a 12-12 pitcher with a 4.75 ERA... You'd take that on the Sox?

Let me be the first to say, "No Thanks"...

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
you guys are all right. uribe is better than miles, therefore, kenny williams rules. best gm ever.

That's like saying you meant that KW was the worst GM ever because of a deal he made what, 4 or 5 years ago?

Whatever, make all the asinine assumptions and incredible flying leaps of logic you want. :stick

QUOTE(poorme @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
from today's sun-times

I've always wondered why our organization is fascinated with developing Felix Diaz clones. Now I know.

Minnesota's 1st selection, on the contrary, was a typical pick: Pitcher with a 92-94 mph fastball, low 80's slider, and a developing curveball, changeup. Garza should be contributing by the time Nathan leaves and Crain takes over the closers role.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Enough's enough, keep it within the PM's guys.

Anyways, I'd say it's a good idea for KW to step back and let the others do their jobs, especially since he knows he's essentially useless with it.

^^

What he said.

There is no need for that crap.