Most wins by a releif pitcher -- season

Texsox

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
You're crazy! Closers shouldn't get wins? What kind of thinking is that?

For a closer to get a win he must first blow a save. That's why it's bad for closers to get wins. This assumes he is being used exclusively in a closer's role.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
For a closer to get a win he must first blow a save. That's why it's bad for closers to get wins. This assumes he is being used exclusively in a closer's role.

Sorry, guess I should've used the green.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Sorry, guess I should've used the green.

Okay, I see. Some mocking going on. LOL

I should have read the previous few posts.

Not everyone on the board is knowledgeable of the rules, so I read some questions as being sincere.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
He WAS a starting pitcher in the minor leagues, from that standpoint he didn't turn out how he was expected to. When we called him up he was a starting pitcher and sucked at it so we moved him to relief.  In relief he has done well. As a starting pitcher not so well. I love what Neal has done for us this year, but he was susposed to be a good starting pitcher and he just isn't one. He is a good reliever. And since when was the truth ignorant?

So after 5 career starts you're ruling out Cotts being a starter. That's not ignorance, that's stupidity. We brought he up from the minors and had him start a few games, he was bad. So like you do with young pitchers in order to get them into major league form you either send them back down and let them work on their stuff on a consitant basis or you let them pitch out of the pen. The Sox felt Cotts was better suited staying up and pitching in relief, which he has done for the past year. Comming into this season there was no need for Cotts in the Starting rotation seeing how we signed El Duque and we wanted a veteran staff. The way McCarthy pitched in spring training he showed that he would be a good 6th starter option. So after all developemnents Cotts was set to pitch out of the pen for this year as well.

Unless Cotts becomes some sort of dominate reliever over a long period of time, he will most likely eventually go back to being a starting pitcher. At this point it is not necessary to be grooming him to be a starter, we need more help out of the pen.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't expect Cliff to win 18, but with the amount of close games the Sox play, it's certainly possible.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
It is very possible, the way Cliff has been pitching, and the way we seem to comeback whenever he pitches i wouldn't doubt that he could do it.

i dont think theres a chance in hell cliff wins 18 games were coming close to half way point and he has 5 wins, forgettaboutit no chance

QUOTE(Cloudyguy09 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
i dont think theres a chance in hell cliff wins 18 games were coming close to half way point and he has 5 wins, forgettaboutit no chance

He won three games last week alone. I agree the possibility is remote, but it is possible.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)

Yeah, cause closers are never brought into a tie game in the ninth.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
whats the record in the sox organization for most wins by a relief pitcher, cant say i saw anything in this topic yet

That's a good question, and damned if I can find the answer. Oddly enough, the Rockies have that record posted on the official site (under "Team History"), while the Sox don't. Perhaps because game records for earlier years is often incomplete?

Which is my longish way of posting nothing useful. :D