2005 Win Shares

gsoxs1

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
I would argue that our 5 starters, Cotts, Politte, Hermy, Konerko, Everett, Rowand, Iguchi, AJ, and Dye have all been more important to this teams success than Podsednik.  I think someone pointed out that we are like 7-3 when he doesn't play.  No single position player is really that important to this team this season.  Especially one with a weak bat and defense

We had 4 of the 5 starters last year as well as Cotts, Politte, Konerko, Everett, Rowand. If they were really that important and Lee is better than Pods and Vizcaino then we should have won last year.

Also the Pods trade freed up money to get AJ, Iguchi, Hermy, and El Duque. Thank you Carlos Lee.

I agree that no one position player is greater than another, but that trade helped make this team. That deal is the main reason we have this type of team. We won that trade. Let Carlos Lee put up all the numbers he wants. He is one of the dumbest ball players in the MLB and shows it on a consistent basis. We are a much better built team without him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about the money it freed up because I am not trying to argue that the trade was bad, I'm just saying Pods isn't nearly as good as people think he is and Carlos Lee is a better player.

I would also like to point out that we had 4 of the 5 starters last year but 2 of them not for the full season and Garland wasn'tnearly as good. Meither was Contreras really and El Duque is 7-2.

Everett did not contribute last year like he has this year. Politte and Cotts have blossomed into players they never have before as well.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
I don't care about the money it freed up because I am not trying to argue that the trade was bad, I'm just saying Pods isn't nearly as good as people think he is and Carlos Lee is a better player.

So what's the point? Would you rather undo the trade?

The point is people are overrating Podsednik, taking unfair shots at Lee, AND I don't want to undo the trade because we are the best team in the majors so I don't really care about the past. Also, no one knows for sure who we would have signed if Lee stayed, certainly we would have got a few of the following: AJ, Iguchi, El Duque, Hermanson. And maybe we would get all of them who knows how the roster would have turned out.

Well then we are arguing different things. The trade helped both teams, that's not a bad thing lol. I always hated Carlos Lee, still do. He's doing well with the Brewers, good for him, I just didn't like having a dumb ball player on the Sox.

I'm reminded of Gonzo's $140M contract offer from the Tiggers when he was the RBI man of the AL. Lee is now the RBI man of the NL & he's still not hit his stride where he can produce a .300A.

When considering Pods he's likely to outperform his contract worth for several more years with the WSox. You can't simply ignore what it's likely to cost you to keep his talent.