Cliff Politte

santo=dorf

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Naw. And this is honestly my belief. I practiced and scrimmaged with my HS football team last summer. I played FB, S, and Punter. It wasn't hard at all. But as long as I stay hydrated, I'm good. I'm in excellent physical condition as I play soccer and baseball ALL the time.

Easy huh, try playing in a f***ing game. Adrenaline can only keep you going for so long. Easy HAHAHAH :lolhitting

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Easy huh, try playing in a f***ing game. Adrenaline can only keep you going for so long. Easy HAHAHAH  :lolhitting

I never said it was easy. In a real game, I would be out by half-time lol...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Naw. And this is honestly my belief. I practiced and scrimmaged with my HS football team last summer. I played FB, S, and Punter. It wasn't hard at all. But as long as I stay hydrated, I'm good. I'm in excellent physical condition as I play soccer and baseball ALL the time.

In other words, easy.

DETROIT -- Cliff Politte could earn the rare All-Star nod for a middle reliever if all the planets align when the announcements are made Sunday afternoon. Politte's peers and Terry Francona, the American League manager, control those planets in this instance.

Even if Francona decides to fill out his pitching staff with more relievers than starters, the first calls usually go to closers. Past history bodes well for Dustin Hermanson, who has 17 saves in 18 opportunities and a 1.53 ERA over 28 appearances and is in search of his first All-Star bid.

Politte's numbers are equally impressive. Starting in middle relief and gradually working his way into a right-handed setup role, Politte has produced a 5-0 record with a 1.23 ERA. The 31-year-old has 31 strikeouts in 29 1/3 innings, while walking just eight, and opponents are hitting a mere .135 against him.

His emergence also has allowed Ozzie Guillen to use Hermanson only in save situations or with the game on the line, keeping his finisher strong for the all-important second half of the season. The White Sox manager knows Politte deserves to be pitching in Detroit on July 12, but doesn't believe his under-the-radar status will help him.

"They don't look at middle relievers and that's a shame," Guillen said.

That thought process could change in 2005, and not just for Politte. Cleveland's Arthur Rhodes (3-1, 0.87 ERA), Detroit's Kyle Farnsworth (1-1, 2.40 ERA), Boston's Mike Timlin (2-1, 1.21 ERA) and Minnesota's Jesse Crain (6-0, 1.04 ERA) all have turned in deserving efforts, with Timlin's connection to Francona possibly getting him the nod.

Of course, Politte has his own tie-in, having pitched for Francona in Philadelphia for part of the 2000 season. But the humble Politte simply was glad to see his name on the ballot, voted on by the players, for the first time in his career. He's also fairly proud of contributing consistently to a first-place team.

"Yeah, the most rewarding thing is to be on a team that I'm on right now," Polite said. "We have 50 wins, could have 60 by the All-Star break and then could be playing in the playoffs. That's more flattering than the other things.

"I told a couple of guys on the team, I put myself in the situation to say I have a shot to make it. But I don't count on it. I won't be upset over it."

During Tuesday's pregame talk with the media, Guillen quickly moved from two to four players when asked how many on his team deserved to be All-Stars. The two most likely inclusions are starting pitchers Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland, who received votes from Detroit manager Alan Trammell.

But Guillen also singled out second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, first baseman Paul Konerko and left fielder Scott Podsednik, not to mention his stellar relievers.

"It's not easy to pick the roster for the All-Star team," Guillen said. "We have guys who should be there, and I know for a fact they aren't going to be there."

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
a guy who closes games for a living is more deserving than a guy who holds leads in the 7th and 8th for a living. i really don't understand how you don't get this.

I disagree.

Wickman almosts always comes in with nobody on base and the lead, whereas a guy like Politte comes in with runners on base and possibly a tied ballgame. Hell, Wickman has inherited 4 runners this year and 3 of them have scored..

Saves can be the most misleading stat IMO.

Farmer talked about how he heard Mike Timlin as an All-Star and argue the case for Politte.

BTW, I can't believe how big this thread has blown up. :bang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
I disagree.

Wickman almosts always comes in with nobody on base and the lead, whereas a guy like Politte comes in with runners on base and possibly a tied ballgame.  Hell, Wickman has inherited 4 runners this year and 3 of them have scored..

Farmer talked about how he heard Mike Timlin as an All-Star and argue the case for Politte.

BTW, I can't believe how big this thread has blown up.  :bang

When someone is ignorant to anything but saves and era that will happen.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
I disagree.

Wickman almosts always comes in with nobody on base and the lead, whereas a guy like Politte comes in with runners on base and possibly a tied ballgame.  Hell, Wickman has inherited 4 runners this year and 3 of them have scored..

BTW, I can't believe how big this thread has blown up.  :bang

Santo, don't bother with any sort of logic. The guy was completely blind to anything but saves and ERA. He was running around in circles ignoring obvious statistics that proved him wrong.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Cheat, don't bother with any sort of logic. The guy was completely blind to anything but saves and ERA. He was running around in circles ignoring obvious statistics that proved him wrong.

That is santo your talking to... :ph34r:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Haven't seen it mentioned, but thanks to Foulke, Timlin gave up 2 ER so his ERA is now 1.64.

The problem with that is his manager is the Coach of the AL AS team, so Timlin would get selected over Politte if he was to take a middle reliever.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Try playing on a 110 degree astroplay field at Mike LB, FS and CB

Try playing center, QB, and Wideout like I did.

Al: TheHammer snaps the ball to TheHammer, TheHammer is open over the middle, TheHammer throws it, TheHammer makes the catch, oh and WOW, TheHammer hustled to make a downfield block for TheHammer as he takes it into the endzone for the touchdown.

John: Oh no, Looks like TheHammer got hit as he released the ball on that play and he is not getting up. Team trainer TheHammer is coming onto the field to check him out.

Al: It looks like TheHammer is getting warmed up on the sideline just in case TheHammer can't come back in for the next series.

Typically Saves and blown saves are the only important stats for a closer. Wickman has the must saves but he also has the most save attempts.

Comparing Politte and Wickman is hard because although Politte has been elite as a reliever more guys can set-up than can save. ERA is irrelevent for closers IF they get the job done. If they are getting the saves let them give up enough runs to make it a 1 run win every outing. They have a cut and dry job and if they do their job it doesn't really matter how they do it.

Putting a set-up man in the All-star game is actually more common than one would think and it has happened a few times very recently.

Crain and Politte are basically a coin flip. Their numbers are basically idenitical with Politte having an edge in Ks. Inherited runners is hard to compare because a runner on third with no outs being held counts the same as a runner on first with two outs. Crain does have aa sub 1.00 ERA and 7 wins. Pretty impressive. Both should be considered as All-stars

Timlin has 13 holds which gives him a heads up over both Crain and Politte.

Politte has proven in the past that he CAN'T close. But then again he has never had the chance while pitching as the player he is this season (Which is much better than he has been in previous seasons.)

You can make a good case for Timlin, Politte, or Crain and I hope 1 makes it because they deserve it. Also I do not believe Wickman deserves a spot as he only has the most saves because he has the most save oppurtunities and his save percentage is worse than the next few guys on the list.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Santo, don't bother with any sort of logic. The guy was completely blind to anything but saves and ERA. He was running around in circles ignoring obvious statistics that proved him wrong.

in circles? you're completely blind to everything but WHIP and inherited runners. i'd like to just agree to disagree, but you gotta keep taking shots.