How many games?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How many games?

• 11-12
    • 13-14
    • 15-16
    • 17-18
    • 19-20

I personally think the Sox really almost have the division locked up despite their tough August schedule and the number of games they have left with the Twinkies. Once the lead got to 10-11 games I started feeling a lot more comfortable. I think if the lead gets to 13 games, you can pretty much book it. What do you guys think?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
I personally think the Sox really almost have the division locked up despite their tough August schedule and the number of games they have left with the Twinkies. Once the lead got to 10-11 games I started feeling a lot more comfortable. I think if the lead gets to 13 games, you can pretty much book it. What do you guys think?

Until that magic number hits 0, nothing's a lock.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
yeah, I know pessimism springs eternal...but I can't remember a team ever choking a lead that big?

that's because no MLB team has had a 10 game lead in their league or division prior to the All-Star Break and not won that respective league or division.

As I said in another thread, the White Sox not making the playoffs is of an equal historical significance to the Red Sox winning the 2004 ALCS after going to 0-3 to the Yankees.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
yeah, I know pessimism springs eternal...but I can't remember a team ever choking a lead that big?

First time I've been called a pessimist :P I just refuse to count the Twins out, I will never think those guys are done until the magic number is 0.

I really don't understand how people thought the 2005 Twins were very good. I've been saying since opening day I thought Cuddyer and Morneau were way overrated simply because of the organization that groomed them. Rivas looks like he's gonna be out of the majors any day now. Their starting pitching is pretty damn mediocre. They just don't have what it takes to make any kind of prolonged run. They might finish with 89-90 wins, but that's the very top of the range I put them at. More realistically, I think they'll finish with 85-86. They've been treading water at about 9 over for about a month now.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
I really don't understand how people thought the 2005 Twins were very good. I've been saying since opening day I thought Cuddyer and Morneau were way overrated simply because of the organization that groomed them. Rivas looks like he's gonna be out of the majors any day now. Their starting pitching is pretty damn mediocre. They just don't have what it takes to make any kind of prolonged run. They might finish with 89-90 wins, but that's the very top of the range I put them at. More realistically, I think they'll finish with 85-86. They've been treading water at about 9 over for about a month now.

They'll be in the playoffs one way or another, I'd be willing to bet on that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
They'll be in the playoffs one way or another, I'd be willing to bet on that.

Since June 1st, the Twins have been 17-16.

They lost 5 series in a row, including a home series against SF and a road series at Milwaukee.

Their only prolonged winning streak was when they had KC and TB back to back at home and they won 7 of 8. Then they up and lost 2 games at LAA and dropped last night's game at KC.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Since June 1st, the Twins have been 17-16.

They lost 5 series in a row, including a home series against SF and a road series at Milwaukee.

Their only prolonged winning streak was when they had KC and TB back to back at home and they won 7 of 8. Then they up and lost 2 games at LAA and dropped last night's game at KC.

....and?? The Twins always make their run in the 2nd half, don't be surprised if Ryan makes one deal that sparks them on a roll, it's happened before it can definitely happen again.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
....and??  The Twins always make their run in the 2nd half, don't be surprised if Ryan makes one deal that sparks them on a roll, it's happened before it can definitely happen again.

Going back even further, since May 1st, the Twinkies are 31-29. That's pretty mediocre baseball over a two+ month stretch.

Their schedule gets somewhat brutal just after the break....4 vs. LAA, 3 vs. Baltimore, FIVE at Detroit, 3 at NYY, 3 at Boston, 4 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Boston. Not a creampuff in there until mid-August! They're done with Tampa and have just 7 left with the Royals after the break.

I know the Twins have historically played somewhat better in the second half, but there's no way this Twins team with that second half schedule puts together any kind of a 20-over half. I know in 2002 they had something like a 17-over last three months, but this is a far cry from that team. I think in '03 and '04 they were 13-15 over .500 for the second half with (in my opinion) much superior and deeper teams.

I'm not worried about the division or making the playoffs, and I think the team is focused enough that we're going to crack 100 wins for the first time in Sox history.

But all of that is just a nice lead in to the real question. Will this 2005 Sox team win the first postseason series since 1917? Can it go all the way?

On that point, I'd like to see KW add a tweak or two to help us out.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
....and??  The Twins always make their run in the 2nd half, don't be surprised if Ryan makes one deal that sparks them on a roll, it's happened before it can definitely happen again.

PESSIMIST!!!!

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha hahahahahahahaha

Rowand a pessamist? That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Buehrle could get post an ERA over 8 and he would be a 1st ballot HoFer in his book.

Haha thanks for the chuckle. Rowand44 is the most optimistic person I've ever talked to in my entire life.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I believe Santana hasn't won a game in a month.

Look what he did in the 2nd half last year. All I'm saying to everyone is never count out the Twins, I think we would have all learned that by now. People were saying the same things about them last year too "they're not the same team, they're just not as good," etc. I've just learned never to count those guys out, you just can't.

The main thing is we are in great shape barring a collapse on our part. Our great start has put a lot of pressure on the other playoff hopefuls in our division. We can play .500 ball the rest of the way and still have over 95 wins.

On the other hand, I think we are bashing the Twins a little too much. I don't think they're playing any worse than they have in the past, it's just this year it's going to take 95-100 wins to take the division instead of 90-95. They've still got enough talent to make a playoff push, albiet (that seems to be my word of the day) the division is probably out of reach. They still have a pretty good pen, and their starters have all been pretty good (I didn't expect them to have 4 starters under 4.10), and their offense is passable. I could still see them winning 90-95, especially if Johan gets back on track. However, that still probably won't be enough to beat us.