2nd half will be a dogfight

brijames

QUOTE(brijames @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
The White Sox are not a 30 game over .500 team. They played a great 1st half and made the most of every break.

This 2nd half race will be very close before it's over. The Sox will have to scratch and claw for everything they get. They are not as bad as they played this Oakland series and not as good as how they played up to it.

What are you smoking? Playing 82+ games gives you a pretty good idea how good a team is going to be. Barring injuries, this team will play around this level for the rest of the year.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Here is a list of the pitchers we didn't get:

1.  Only faced Johan Santana 1 time of the 5 played

2.  CC Sabathia 1 time in 9 played

3.  Didn't face Jamie Moyer (SEA)

4.  Didnt face Roy Halladay (TOR)

5.  Didn't face Kenny Rogers in 5 played

6.  Mark Prior only 1 time in 6 played

7.  Bartolo Colon 1 time in 7 played (ANA)

8.  No Jake Peavy or Adam Eaton vs SD

GO SOX great first half...

I'm pretty sure we faced Prior twice.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)

Yea hes been lighting it up this year :rolly

Why is it lucky exaclty that we didn't face Moyer? Hes average at best

Uh...we did face him twice. He was brought back early for the Sox series just we could face him.

Outside of Detroit the other teams pitching staffs might as well be farm clubs...colorado, tampa, kc, dodgers, az....

You failed to mention Cleveland as a team we played, their pitching staff is pretty darn solid.

Thats all I have right now...I'm not one to put qualifiers on a season in which we are in first place after 85 games and are yet to lose more than three in a row. :gosox3:

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Detroit Tigers lineup is healthy and looks very formidable right now...350-1 to win the world series is a real bargain!  Carlos Guillen, Maggs, Irod are all back....look for big 2nd half for Tigers.  For what it is worth the AL central division is very strong! Wild card has won last 3 WS.....

And when is Florida going to wake up?  What is wrong with that team?

Are you Craig Monroe or D'mitri Young?

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Exactly! 

Scary is that we struggled against Tim Stauffer (SD) & Ervin Santana (ANA)...oh sorry that was because I went to both those games....

Outside of Detroit the other teams pitching staffs might as well be farm clubs...colorado, tampa, kc, dodgers, az....

What was it a couple of years ago we got no breaks...we hit every teams win streak....this year so far the exact opposite...

LMAO at this post.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Says who???

Not me. You pitch like the Sox have and field like they have as well as hit and scored runs like they have and truly they are one of the better teams in all of baseball. Sure they get some bounces, but at the same time I think its only a fluke for so long and than it just turns out its more of a skill and the Sox are good at playing baseball and they are doing a good job winning games.

Good teams win, case closed. Think of the Twins the past couple years, never with a true superstar (last year you could definately make a case for Johan being that guy) but what did they do...they found a way to win. Thats not luck, thats a team doing the little things to ensure they win more than they lose.

Now lets sit back and enjoy the fact the Sox are 9 games up at the break and around 30 games over .500 (maybe its 29, I don't know). One game at a time, and so for its been a blast of a ride :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Not me.  You pitch like the Sox have and field like they have as well as hit and scored runs like they have and truly they are one of the better teams in all of baseball.  Sure they get some bounces, but at the same time I think its only a fluke for so long and than it just turns out its more of a skill and the Sox are good at playing baseball and they are doing a good job winning games.

Good teams win, case closed.  Think of the Twins the past couple years, never with a true superstar (last year you could definately make a case for Johan being that guy) but what did they do...they found a way to win.  Thats not luck, thats a team doing the little things to ensure they win more than they lose.

Now lets sit back and enjoy the fact the Sox are 9 games up at the break and around 30 games over .500 (maybe its 29, I don't know).  One game at a time, and so for its been a blast of a ride :cheers

That's how I feel. I've heard how the Twins have been "lucky" the last 3 years, good teams get lucky bounces and make their own breaks. I truely believe this is the best team in baseball and I would bet that Kenny will even improve it more getting near the deadline. Plus if we can get into the playoffs there isn't a better 1-3 then we got. I love this team, it's a great team and everyone please try to enjoy the ride. This is a special season and it's going to continue to be, this team can do a bunch of things and they have a shot to go really, really far this year.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
That would be just our luck if we had the best record in baseball and we have to play Oakland in the wild card. I pray that does not happen.

Bottom line if the Sox can't beat Oakland in the playoffs they won't deserve to win it all. This is now and yes the Sox have struggled the past couple years against Oakland but at the same time this year they are just meeting Oakland at the wrong time.

If Oakland gets in and the Sox make it and the two teams play, may the Sox win. I'm not one too concerned with matchups. If the Sox are going to do it all they'll have to be capable of beating anyone (they'll also have to be playing good baseball at the time) and I have confidence they'll be ready to give it a fighting chance (I also have confidence we'll see at minimum one more good to great player on the southside thanks to Kenny before the year is done).

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Exactly! 

Scary is that we struggled against Tim Stauffer (SD) & Ervin Santana (ANA)...oh sorry that was because I went to both those games....

What was it a couple of years ago we got no breaks...we hit every teams win streak....this year so far the exact opposite...

Don't know about the rest of the names, but the Sox faced Prior twice. One time he came back off the DL and shut em down and the other time the Sox faced him was the game where Brandon McCarthy matched him pitch for pitch until Viz came in to blow the game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:55 AM)
Bottom line if the Sox can't beat Oakland in the playoffs they won't deserve to win it all.  This is now and yes the Sox have struggled the past couple years against Oakland but at the same time this year they are just meeting Oakland at the wrong time. 

Couldn't agree more with this. This A's team is not that good. I'd much rather play them than the Angels or Rangers in the playoffs.

After seeing what they've done in their last few playoff appearences you're worried about the As? That would be our ideal matchup. The only reason the national media is calling the Sox's first half a fluke is because no one predicted it.

Do the Sox need to make a move? That's the big question. If Marte comes back and if they stick El Duque in a freezer and thaw him out in October, where does this team need to improve? I suppose shortstop but do you want to trade two or three good prospects for a guy like Rafael Furcal?

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 06:36 AM)
  Do the Sox need to make a move?  That's the big question.  If Marte comes back and if they stick El Duque in a freezer and thaw him out in October, where does this team need to improve?  I suppose shortstop but do you want to trade two or three good prospects for a guy like Rafael Furcal?

X-Box mania strikes again.