He may not believe in dinosaurs...

greasywheels121

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I understand where you're coming from, and I completely agree that five hits was sort of a fluke and won't be repeated very often at all.  It was just a little weird the timing of everything.  I am not a believer that Huff is the answer though, his numbers this year are no better than Konerko's, other than the fact his salary is cheaper.  He's seven months younger than Konerko.  I just don't see him as much of an upgrade, just a cost saver.

If we learned anything from this offseason, cost saver=team improvement. With the money we are going to save on an equal-better player, we can add another crucial piece to the puzzle. Not to mention i like Huff's LH bat and his even splits against LH and RH pitching.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If we learned anything from this offseason, cost saver=team improvement.  With the money we are going to save on an equal-better player, we can add another crucial piece to the puzzle.  Not to mention i like Huff's LH bat and his even splits against LH and RH pitching.

I think I like the Huff idea...but what would we have to give up to get him? Kong doesn't benefit them at all...they'd want prospects...

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
I think I like the Huff idea...but what would we have to give up to get him?  Kong doesn't benefit them at all...they'd want prospects...

Yes they would, and I would give them what they wanted. If we could package some prospects up, and if it was our top ones, I would expect we could possibly take one more OF'er from them, possibly Gathright?

Here's a Carl question...

I believe that the team has an option on him for next year. First, is this true, or does Carl have an option also where he can get out of the contract?

Second, what is the value on Carl's option next year? Is it such that the team wouldn't pick it up, like it seems to be with Thomas? Will it cost the team anything to decline the option?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
willie has no place on this team anymore.

On friday he had 3 different shots at getting pods over and getting SOMETHING done, he did none of that.

It's about a team effort and not about individual sttas. I know we can get hung up very easily on such things, but Willie is a big part of the team. He doesn't get a lot of playing opportunities and maybe he should. He has a lot of talent and like everyone else has a bad game or a bad at bat here and there.

I am also a supporter of Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye and hope we keep them both too.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
It's about a team effort and not about individual sttas. I know we can get hung up very easily on such things, but Willie is a big part of the team. He doesn't get a lot of playing opportunities and maybe he should. He has a lot of talent and like everyone else has a bad game or a bad at bat here and there.

I am also a supporter of Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye and hope we keep them both too.

Exactly, and he couldnt sacrafice himself for the team effectively. And its no secret he is not the most liked player in the clubhouse. Willie wont be here much longer, as shown by him packing up his locker.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
maybe if we don't resign konerko, dye or everett could move to first. just a thought

Heres why I want to trade him= That was the first 5 hit game of his career, it was a fluke. Secondly, he is hitting under what we would expect a cleanup hitter to hit, he grounds into too many DP's, clogs up the bases, and strikes out too much. His FA contract is going to make him one if not the highest paid player on the team, and I for one, do not think he is worth that much. I am all for trading him right now, I think we can get Huff from TB to play 1st base and if not, Gload is a viable option. If not, Dye can play 1st and Carla can fill in the OF.

You can do this in MVP Baseball 2005

not in real life...

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
You can do this in MVP Baseball 2005

not in real life...

Great imformative post and all, but you make no sense. Cant do what in real life? Are you speaking of trading for someone who is on the trading block, or moving players? Because as of right now, your post stands at status=spam

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Great imformative post and all, but you make no sense. Cant do what in real life?  Are you speaking of trading for someone who is on the trading block, or moving players?  Because as of right now, your post stands at status=spam

I think we can get Huff from TB to play 1st base and if not, Gload is a viable option. If not, Dye can play 1st and Carla can fill in the OF.

That specifically.

You cannot make such radical changes to a team on a championship run.

By the way, there was no need to be insulting.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
That specifically.

You cannot make such radical changes to a team on a championship run.

By the way, there was no need to be insulting.

You shouldnt have made your MVP comment then, dont dish if you cant take it. As far as drastic changes, adding another player, is not drastic. We arent subtracting anyone from our major league lineup, and just adding another players. If that is radical, I guess we should be watching for some serious radical trades coming in the future. I mean, no championship team adds players, well, then again, there was last year......

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
You shouldnt have made your MVP comment then, dont dish if you cant take it.  As far as drastic changes, adding another player, is not drastic.  We arent subtracting anyone from our major league lineup, and just adding another players.  If that is radical, I guess we should be watching for some serious radical trades coming in the future.  I mean, no championship team adds players, well, then again, there was last year......

First.

I was not dishing anything. Sorry if you are sensitive to criticism. I have stated in numerous threads that there is a MVP Baseball mentality lately when theorizing on what the Sox need to do to win.

This, to me, was another example.

I'm sorry...but trading your Number #1 RBI guy mid-season and replacing him with Huff is radical.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
First.

I was not dishing anything. Sorry if you are sensitive to criticism. I have stated in numerous threads that there is a MVP Baseball mentality lately when theorizing on what the Sox need to do to win.

This, to me, was another example.

I'm sorry...but trading your Number #1 RBI guy mid-season and replacing him with Huff is radical.

Uh, check my posts I never said trade anyone mid-season. Reading is fundamental.

I stated that we could pick up Huff for prospects then not re-sign Konerko. I dont understand how that is trading anyone who is leading our team in RBI's. You are mixing my willingness to trade Konerko at anytime, with my actual idea of not re-signing him.

Now that you have brought the idea up however, its not a bad idea. He is the #1 RBI guy because where he hits in the order. He is in no way our best hitter. So yeah, I would trade him in a second.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Heres why I want to trade him=  That was the first 5 hit game of his career, it was a fluke.  Secondly, he is hitting under what we would expect a cleanup hitter to hit, he grounds into too many DP's, clogs up the bases, and strikes out too much.  His FA contract is going to make him one if not the highest paid player on the team, and I for one, do not think he is worth that much.  I am all for trading him right now, I think we can get Huff from TB to play 1st base and if not, Gload is a viable option.  If not, Dye can play 1st and Carla can fill in the OF.  I just think Kong is over valued, and I do not think we are pursuing him in the offseason.  There is a reason they havent re-signed im yet, and his value will not match his price tag.

Uh, check my posts I never said trade anyone mid-season. Reading is fundamental.

Ummm...Looks like you did.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Ummm...Looks like you did.

One post I said I would do it, but that was not my overall idea. You should read past one page of posts. Maybe even drop in an actual comment worthy of discussion one of these days too. But since you mentioned it, yeah I would trade KOnerko, your idea sounds great. IN fact, it would not only improve our team now, but in the future.

Now get back to dropping in one line spam comments in another forum.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
One post I said I would do it, but that was not my overall idea.  You should read past one page of posts.  Maybe even drop in an actual comment worthy of discussion one of these days too.  But since you mentioned it, yeah I would trade KOnerko, your idea sounds great.  IN fact, it would not only improve our team now, but in the future.

Now get back to dropping in one line spam comments in another forum.

Excuse me?

Do you need to attack me...Saying I am a spammer who adds nothing to this board? I think many will disagree with you.

Do you have problems with people disagreeing with you?

Very hostile.

:headshake

Forget it. I don't come onto this board to be insulted.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Excuse me?

Do you need to attack me...Saying I am a spammer who adds nothing to this board? I think many will disagree with you.

Do you have problems with people disagreeing with you?

Very hostile.

:headshake

Forget it. I don't come onto this board to be insulted.

Like saying that someone's posts are credible only in video game world? Come on, nobody is that sensitive. :crying

Back to the topic at hand. I dont see KW making a huge trade of any means, but I DO think that Kong should not be resigned, and I DO think Huff could be a viable option. This is one of the many major issues at hand in the offseason, whether to re-sign a player that doesnt really fit the mold of the team, because he has been a cornerstone for several years.