Is Borchard Finally Ready?

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:06 AM)
You are missing my point.  For some reason, he has started hitting the ball.  Has he finally shortened his swing and learned to drive the ball where it's pitched?  I don't know if this is the case, but you don't know that it's not.  Hence, my reference to KW and the scouting staff.  Last year, he sucked as a ML ballplayer, yes.  I'll give you that.  Will he suck the rest of this year?  Neither of us knows that.

He does this every single year. Joe Borchard will never be good, and I don't need a crystal ball to see that.

I am all for bringing Joe up. Timo be gone. With Ozzie's penchant for resting players, Joe can be used in spot starts and late innings. Never could figure out why they haven't worked him out at first some. If he is going to wallow in the minors, what is the point of saving him. Make him the 4th outfielder and give him some confidence. Timo is so weak. It is time for Joe.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
He does this every single year.  Joe Borchard will never be good, and I don't need a crystal ball to see that.

The one thing I will say about Borch is that when I saw him in Spring Training I thought he'd have a good year. His swing is much shorter and compact then it has been in years past. I wouldn't bet on Borch being an effective major leaguer anytime soon but it's still possible in my mind.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
I am all for bringing Joe up. Timo be gone. With Ozzie's penchant for resting players, Joe can be used in spot starts and late innings. Never could figure out why they haven't worked him out at first some. If he is going to wallow in the minors, what is the point of saving him. Make him the 4th outfielder and give him some confidence. Timo is so weak. It is time for Joe.

I won't even go that far. I wouldn't bring up Borchard just because Timo sucks. If JB is not going to be an upgrade, then don't do it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
I won't even go that far.  I wouldn't bring up Borchard just because Timo sucks.  If JB is not going to be an upgrade, then don't do it.

I really do think Joe is an upgrade over Timo. He is not as much of a dropoff from the starters as Timo is. If Timo was any good, I don't know that we would be talking about Joe being brought up. With a sore arm, I don't see Ross playing any outfield. Teams will run on his arm and the Sox are supposed to be built around pitching and defense. Even if Joe is brought up to showcase, then fine. I would rather take the chance on him up here than down in Charlotte. There will be a lot less pressure on Joe if he is brought up into a healthy outfield than if he is brought up if Dye pops a hammy or Aaron knocks down a wall.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Please .... no Joe Borchard.

Him striking out three times agame is not what this team is supposed to be built around.

You can't move a runner over when your hitting air.

Unless you hit the air so hard that the gust of wind throws the ball into the OF, or over the fence if we're lucky.

Like its been mentioned in this thread we should not bring him up because there is no where to put him and hes swinging the hot bat in AAA, let him keep on doing that. Im sure his value will rise and we could use him in a trade. I think KW lost his confidence in him anyway.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

There are 3 points with Borchard that I think need to be hammered home again:

1. He's out of minor league options. Therefore, if we even think about bringing him up, we can't send him back down again without him clearing waivers.

2. People keep wanting to give him Timo's roster spot, but if we give Gload Harris's spot, El Duque and Marte get Jenks and Walker's spots...that leaves us 0 spots open if KW decides to make any sort of a trade, which means that again, Borchard would have to clear waivers to come up.

3. Borchard seems to me like he does this every year. He finds his swing in AAA and starts hammering the ball, then he comes up, loses his swing, and suddenly ends up hitting .200 for the next year. He then finds his swing, comes back up, and loses it again.

What do I think we should do with Borchard? If anyone's willing to give us anything of value for him, I think we should take it. If not, then I think he gets the whole year in AAA ball to get his head together, let him (hopefully) keep nailing the ball, and either try to move him in the offseason or give him the opportunity in the Spring to try to EARN himself a roster spot next year. There's always the possibility that Anderson won't be ready next year (people still keep talking about holes in his swing), and if that's the case, Borchard could be a serviceable option as a backup OF, especially if Everett leaves.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
There are 3 points with Borchard that I think need to be hammered home again:

1.  He's out of minor league options.  Therefore, if we even think about bringing him up, we can't send him back down again without him clearing waivers.

2.  People keep wanting to give him Timo's roster spot, but if we give Gload Harris's spot, El Duque and Marte get Jenks and Walker's spots...that leaves us 0 spots open if KW decides to make any sort of a trade, which means that again, Borchard would have to clear waivers to come up.

3.  Borchard seems to me like he does this every year.  He finds his swing in AAA and starts hammering the ball, then he comes up, loses his swing, and suddenly ends up hitting .200 for the next year.  He then finds his swing, comes back up, and loses it again.

What do I think we should do with Borchard?  If anyone's willing to give us anything of value for him, I think we should take it.  If not, then I think he gets the whole year in AAA ball to get his head together, let him (hopefully) keep nailing the ball, and either try to move him in the offseason or give him the opportunity in the Spring to try to EARN himself a roster spot next year.  There's always the possibility that Anderson won't be ready next year (people still keep talking about holes in his swing), and if that's the case, Borchard could be a serviceable option as a backup OF, especially if Everett leaves.

Borchard can be promoted and sent down as many times as the Sox want to this year. Next year is where the problem occurs.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
He does this every single year.  Joe Borchard will never be good, and I don't need a crystal ball to see that.

Just curious, did your crystal ball tell you that Jon Garland was going to go from head case to Cy Young candidate in one year?

Something clicked for Garland and all those who said he's got great potential have been vindicated. Those same people say the same thing about the switch hitting Borchard. It wasn't an accident that he was the Sox #1 pick. I get the feeling like you think he's sucked in the past therefore he's always going to suck. :huh:

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Just curious, did your crystal ball tell you that Jon Garland was going to go from head case to Cy Young candidate in one year?

Something clicked for Garland and all those who said he's got great potential have been vindicated. Those same people say the same thing about the switch hitting Borchard. It wasn't an accident that he was the Sox #1 pick. I get the feeling like you think he's sucked in the past therefore he's always going to suck.  :huh:

Garland was always a decent starter, especially for the money he was making. Even before he broke out this year, he was one of the best 5th starters in the league. Jon had 12 win seasons in his time, and posted a decent ERA.

Joe Borchard has never even looked somewhat adequate for the major leagues. Garland posting something around a 4.5 ERA would be like a young hitter hitting around .250, nothing spectacular but pretty good for a young guy. Joe Borchard hasn't even approached anything that anyone could consider decent.

On Borchard, we have all seen him and he's had a ton of minor league at bats and he still swings at too many pitches out of the zone. Way too many strikeouts, and that does not fit the mold of this team. We have too many guys as it is who K too much.

It's entirely possible it's coming together for Borchard. Personally I would not bet on it, but you are right, it's possible.

But he does not fit on this team, even if someone gets hurt. Anderson is clearly ahead of him, and Anderson is much the better defender. They would absolutely not want Borchard as a reserve, he is not the pinch hitter type, his swing is too long and a pinch hitter needs to make contact. Plus if Borchard really is turning it on, he needs to play regularly.

I root for him, he is a nice guy, but I mainly root for him because if he stays hot he can help net something in a trade. He would be a very good gamble for a lower level team who can afford to play him regularly for 2 months to see what he's got. His future, to me, is 100% not with the White Sox, and his tenure will end sometime between now and 3/31/06.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Garland was always a decent starter, especially for the money he was making.  Even before he broke out this year, he was one of the best 5th starters in the league.  Jon had 12 win seasons in his time, and posted a decent ERA.

Joe Borchard has never even looked somewhat adequate for the major leagues.  Garland posting something around a 4.5 ERA would be like a young hitter hitting around .250, nothing spectacular but pretty good for a young guy.  Joe Borchard hasn't even approached anything that anyone could consider decent.

Still, to go from a midling pitcher, a 5th starter, to club ace is pretty damn impressive. My point is that no one disputes Borchard's potential. He has power from both sides of the plate and speed as well. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him, that he's untouchable. But I am looking for any kind of boost in the second half that the Sox can get from within. The Brad Fulmer kind of boost the Angels got in 2002. The Cabrera boost the Marlins got the year after. That kind of thing.

I'm also going to go on a limb and say that Crede is going to tear it up in the 2nd half. Uribe too.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Still, to go from a midling pitcher, a 5th starter, to club ace is pretty damn impressive. My point is that no one disputes Borchard's potential. He has power from both sides of the plate and speed as well. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him, that he's untouchable. But I am looking for any kind of boost in the second half that the Sox can get from within. The Brad Fulmer kind of boost the Angels got in 2002. The Cabrera boost the Marlins got the year after. That kind of thing.

I'm also going to go on a limb and say that Crede is going to tear it up in the 2nd half. Uribe too.

I hope you're right about Crede and Uribe, but I'll never have faith in Borchard again. That guy was a total and complete bust, no other way about it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
I hope you're right about Crede and Uribe, but I'll never have faith in Borchard again.  That guy was a total and complete bust, no other way about it.

Didn't you get the sense that Pods was heating up as well going into the break? He's inching closer to .300. If he and Iguchi have a strong 2nd half...man, watch out.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Didn't you get the sense that Pods was heating up as well going into the break? He's inching closer to .300. If he and Iguchi have a strong 2nd half...man, watch out.

I'm not gonna expect Pods to keep his current pace, but I expect him to put up the same numbers he did in the first half. I attribute a lot of his heating up to be voted into the ASG. You know, a little confidence boost and such. I hope Iguchi gets hot again, he just might considering he's had some time to adjust to all the breaking balls he'll see.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)

Actually Timo is hot right now and The Oz is very impressed with him, so much so that they don't want to bring up Gload because they would have to drop Timo. They can't drop Harris because Crede has a couple of herniated disks that he is going to try and play through the rest of the season with.

Fact is, Timo and Harris can play the OF where as Gload cannot. The only thing Gload would be good for right now is to relieve PK. Personally I don't mind seeing Timo/Dye playing first every so often to give PK a break.

JIMH, I agree with you on Anderson. Sadly, it is time to forget about the Borchard that never was and focus on Anderson. He is a stud. Scouts say he is ready to play everyday in the MLB right now.

Next year could feature Anderson/Pods/Rowand with Dye at first and PK gone. Anyone know how pure of a CF Anderson is?

Edited by cubbiesuck13