Ricky Brooks

Ricky Brooks was drafted this year (2005). Before being drafted Brooks played baseball at East Carolina University. He is playing with Bristol and his stats are. :

W-L: 0-1

ERA: 2.70

G: 3

GS: 3

IP: 10

H: 5

R: 3

HR: 1

BB: 1

SO: 16

More to follow! :D

Bristol's website is not very helpful...this i got from ECU.

Richard (Ricky) Brooks.

RHP

6'3, 180lb

Birthday: July 18th, 1984

Home:North Tonawanda, NY

As a Freshman in 2004

Worked in 15 games and made eight starts during true rookie season at ECU … Opened season in staff's starting rotation in first five collegiate games (UNC Asheville 2/14, Delaware 2/22, Clemson 2/29, Arizona State 3/7 and Tulane 3/21) before finishing year primarily in the bullpen … Made spot starts later in campaign against Duke 4/7, N.C. State 4/21 and UNC Wilmington 5/4 … Won two of five decisions (2-3) and logged an earned run average of 6.32 … Worked a total of 37.0 innings and allowed 44 hits, 31 runs, 26 earned runs, 18 walks while striking out 30 … Picked up first collegiate win against Delaware (2/22) after tossing one-hit ball for 5.0 shutout innings against Blue Hens (four strikeouts) … Rang up a career-best six strikeouts in collegiate debut in start against UNC Asheville despite working just 3.2 innings … Longest stint of year was a 6.0 inning performance at Duke 4/7 … Earned victory against Blue Devils in Durham after allowing five runs on eight hits while fanning five … Saddled with losses in starts against Arizona State, Tulane and UNC Wilmington … Allowed runs in only three of seven relief appearances … Perhaps enjoyed top relief effort at N.C. State 5/12 – working a perfect inning against the Wolfpack with three strikeouts … Was 2-3 with a 6.00 ERA as a starter … Made one NCAA post-game appearance … Pitched an inning of relief against UNC Wilmington (6/6) during Kinston Regional (two hits, one run) … Also had one C-USA Tournament showing (three hits, one run , two K's vs. TCU 5/28) … Pitched five conference games and posted an 0-1 mark with a 9.39 ERA in 7. 2 innings … Was 2-2 with a 5.52 ERA in 10 non-league contests (29.1 innings) … Was 1-2 with a 5.91 ERA in six games (five starts) at Harrington Field compared to a 1-1, 6.75 clip in seven road tilts … Started strong, rolling up top numbers in the month of February (1-0 with a 2.57 ERA in three starts, 14.0 innings) … Strangely, was tougher on matchups against left-handed hitter (10-of-50/.200) than right-handers (.362).

Selected in the 11th round of the June 2003 draft by the Chicago White Sox(only player from NTHS ever drafted) ... Also lettered as a centerback in hockey and wide receiver in football. (ECU Athletics. Baseball)

His birthday is this monday!!! Best of luck to Ricky!

Jancie

• 2 weeks later...

Ricky was 21 on July 18th and signed with the White Sox on June 14th. He was with Bristol for about a month and left with an ERA of 2.89 and is now pitching at Kannapolis. Was suppose to go on Thurs. night but game rained out. Maybe he'll get his first start tonight (Fri) for the Intimidators. SB

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhhhhhhh

Didn't do soo great in his last start....."four hit fourth that chased I’s starter Ricky Brooks after just three and two thirds innings. " Intimidators did come back in the 9th to win the game.

Current Stats--- 1-2, 8.14 ERA, 21 IP 5 GS, 16 SO,

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
He continued to struggle in Kanny this year, but was promoted to Winston-Salem and moved to the pen.

Not exactly a great sign for his future as a starter is it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny cause I remember this guy initially getting some comparisons to Mariano Rivera (just in terms of his deliver and arm action). Boy were those scouts off, haha.

Yes, and one of those scouts was Duane Shaffer. He drafted this guy twice and the 2nd time overdrafted him.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 08:42 AM)
Yes, and one of those scouts was Duane Shaffer. He drafted this guy twice and the 2nd time overdrafted him.

I don't necessarily like putting blame on just drafting one guy, because every team in baseball overdrafts guys pretty much every year because in the end after the first round or two you got to just go with who you like for the most part (cause you never really know where various guys are on various teams boards) but Brooks was a guy that everyone was shaking there head when he was drafted.

Not because he didn't have talent, but because no one in the world had him going when he did. It was similar to some of the draft picks that Billy Beane made early in his career. I do remember the Sox being the one team that really really raved about him (I guess it would have been Shaeffer whose quotes I'm remembering).

• 1 month later...

I know that picked as high as he was (95th overall), more has been expected of Brooks. But at least he has quietly done pretty well as a reliever in high-A ball. G 15, IP 18.2, H 21, ER 4, HR 0, BB 7, K 14, ERA: 1.93. I'm sure as a starter he's done, but maybe he'll have a future in the White Sox bullpen.

• 2 years later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Did he get hurt? Looks injured in those last couple shots.

Yeah. He rolled his ankle (I think) while trying to field the ball/get the out on a bunt, but got up and finished the inning after a few warmup tosses.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
I think he's the defacto closer, even when Santo Luis was on the roster.

Which tells me that Bellamy or Remenowsky will probably be promoted and take that role sooner rather than later. Rem got beat up in his last outing, though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Which tells me that Bellamy or Remenowsky will probably be promoted and take that role sooner rather than later. Rem got beat up in his last outing, though.

Can they hit too?

• 7 months later...