Hernandez To The Yankees???

Southside hitmen

IMO, El Duque has just as much chance as Jason Schmidt, or AJ Burnett [not to mention the lesser tier SP's mentioned] to give the sox 6, 7 strong innings in a playoff game. Yet it wouldn't cost the sox a penny more or any prospects.

Then the sox still can get a top tier closer and another bat.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
IMO, El Duque has just as much chance as Jason Schmidt, or AJ Burnett [not to mention the lesser tier SP's mentioned] to give the sox 6, 7 strong innings in a playoff game. Yet it wouldn't cost the sox a penny more or any prospects.

Then the sox still can get a top tier closer and another bat.

I was looking at the box scores from the 2000 ALDS. I think adding a bat might be wise, and I'm with you about adding a closer, moving all the bullpen down a spot. In that 2000 series the Sox scored 7 runs in 3 games. They scored 4 in the first 2 innings of the series, all against Mr. Freddy Garcia. Lee,Thomas,Konerko, and Ordonez combined to go 3-40 in that series. The 2 guys still on the team, Thomas and Konerko were a combined 0-18.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
I was looking at the box scores from the 2000 ALDS. I think adding a bat might be wise, and I'm with you about adding a closer, moving all the bullpen down a spot. In that 2000 series the Sox scored 7 runs in 3 games. They scored 4 in the first 2 innings of the series, all against Mr. Freddy Garcia. Lee,Thomas,Konerko, and Ordonez combined to go 3-40 in that series. The 2 guys still on the team, Thomas and Konerko were a combined 0-18.

The 2000 team was built around power. It was built in a way that if the power didn't appear...and if those 4 guys (and/or Valentin) struggled...we couldn't win.

What is this year's team built around? Everything.

We're not just a power team, we're a team that plays defense, pitches the hell out of the opposition, has good power, and has the ability to score runs without power.

Even if Thomas, Everett, Konerko and Dye all struggle (like they did in May) we can still win by getting good pitching, getting guys on base, moving them over and knocking them in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
The 2000 team was built around power.  It was built in a way that if the power didn't appear...and if those 4 guys (and/or Valentin) struggled...we couldn't win.

What is this year's team built around?  Everything.

We're not just a power team, we're a team that plays defense, pitches the hell out of the opposition, has good power, and has the ability to score runs without power.

Even if Thomas, Everett, Konerko and Dye all struggle (like they did in May) we can still win by getting good pitching, getting guys on base, moving them over and knocking them in.

Neither of the 4 I mentioned was a homerun or bust type of player. That 2000 team was not one dimensional. They had Durham with 25 steals, Singleton with 22, Ordonez with 18, Valentin with 17 or 18. They moved runners up, did the little things. Ordonez hit .315 that season, Frank hit .328, Lee hit .301 and Konerko hit .298. If anything, Thomas and Konerko have become more of a homerun or nothing type of player since. If Thomas,Everett, Konerko and Dye, particularly Thomas and Konerko since they're batting 3 and 4 struggle like those guys did in 2000 the Sox aren't going to win. They can beat Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa with struggling hitters. They can't beat Oakland, and won't be able to beat Boston, New York or the Angels without some offense . BTW, the White Sox still rely on the long ball to score a majority of their runs.

Edited by Dick Allen

Cano could be used in a package to get Schmidt, considering they have Ray Durham who's 4 year deal ends at the end of this season IIRC. So there's things for the Sox to use in an El Duque deal. They could also ask for Eric Duncan although he only has splits of .242/.338/.388 although he does have 13 HR.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)

The sox should look at a Vizquel type bat and either Guardado or Wagner. Then sit tight