Hernandez To The Yankees???

Southside hitmen

As they desperately try to find starters, just two words for the Yankees: "El" and "Duque."

Unlike several other so-called pitchers they've acquired in recent years, Orlando Hernandez is proven in the American League. More to the point, he's proven in New York.

Plus, he's usually a monster in October. And the Yankees shouldn't give up on October. Not yet, they shouldn't.

A Yankees person said they actually did call about Hernandez several weeks ago, well before their pitching situation grew this desperate. However, they were told the White Sox couldn't trade Hernandez unless they could first acquire a hard-throwing starter such as A.J. Burnett or Jason Schmidt.

The Yankees' own chances to land Burnett took a major hit when Chien-Ming Wang went down with shoulder trouble. Anyway, one scout cautioned, "Burnett's not the guy for New York," adding, "With his stuff, he should be a lot better than [37-38]."

Florida seeks a prime major league-ready starter and significant bullpen piece for Burnett, who's in his walk year. The Orioles rebuffed Daniel Cabrera for Burnett. The White Sox probably would have to surrender dynamic young righthander Brandon McCarthy for a shot at Burnett.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Hey if they want to give us Robinson Cano, they can have El Duque.

Otherwise, f*** off NY.

If we can get a better starter through trade (Burnett, Schmidt, etc.), I would cut our losses and get rid of his salary for next season.

Edited by Frankensteiner

I won't shed a tear for a second if we trade Duque. Like someone just said, we'd be better off without his salary on the books. And I don't see any chance in hell that he pitches for the Sox in the playoffs. Experience or not, he's just not as good as our other 4 pitchers this season.

In a way, duque has been like how schow was for us last year.

Good at the beginning, but injury plagued.

If the sox are trading for a starter, nobody would care if duque is gone, especially if we get a BP arm.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
As they desperately try to find starters, just two words for the Yankees: "El" and "Duque."

Unlike several other so-called pitchers they've acquired in recent years, Orlando Hernandez is proven in the American League. More to the point, he's proven in New York.

Plus, he's usually a monster in October. And the Yankees shouldn't give up on October. Not yet, they shouldn't.

A Yankees person said they actually did call about Hernandez several weeks ago, well before their pitching situation grew this desperate. However, they were told the White Sox couldn't trade Hernandez unless they could first acquire a hard-throwing starter such as A.J. Burnett or Jason Schmidt.

The Yankees' own chances to land Burnett took a major hit when Chien-Ming Wang went down with shoulder trouble. Anyway, one scout cautioned, "Burnett's not the guy for New York," adding, "With his stuff, he should be a lot better than [37-38]."

Florida seeks a prime major league-ready starter and significant bullpen piece for Burnett, who's in his walk year. The Orioles rebuffed Daniel Cabrera for Burnett. The White Sox probably would have to surrender dynamic young righthander Brandon McCarthy for a shot at Burnett.

3 way deal

After watching Garland's panties climb up his ass at the AS game, I want some guy with experience who Buehrle, Garland, and Freddy can look to for advice. That's why I thought KW got him in the first place.

Give me the Duke in October, you can have Burnett, Schmidt, you name 'em. Give me the Duke. The man knows what a big game is all about.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Hey if they want to give us Robinson Cano, they can have El Duque.

Otherwise, f*** off NY.

What attracts you about a terrible defensive player, with horrid range, that lacks the power to play first or third?

If Cano develops as Soriano did, I'll eat my words, but its more than likely especially considering Cano has no foot speed, that he will not be half the player that Soriano is.

Now of course if Cano is part of a larger package, I am all for trading El Duque for him and then shipping him off.

I've had enough of Duque...if they can trade him to NY....go ahead. He has single handedly ruined 2 sox games I went to...and watching him pitch is like watching paint dry....he goes from 0-2 to 3-2 more than anyone I've ever seen.

At this point, the sox should hang onto El Duque. Nothing the Yanks have could help the sox. And with their improved play as of late, why help them make the playoffs. As long as Orlando's healthy for the playoffs, his experience should come in handy.

If the sox get another SP, El Duque could always throw in the pen.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
I think El Duque in his 2 starts this week is going to render all this trade talk mute, both talk of him and any other starter.

You mean there will be people on this board saying El Duque could win the Cy young after one or two starts?! That won't happen!