We Need Billy Wagner

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
Is it just me, or would people prefer to trade for a lefty LOOGY or a good setup guy, before giving up a lot more for a closer like Billy Wagner?

I'd take Wags. He's just such a dominate closer but I understand what you're sayingl. By the way we don't NEED Billy Wagner though I'd love to have him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
I'd take Wags.  He's just such a dominate closer but I understand what you're sayingl.  By the way we don't NEED Billy Wagner though I'd love to have him.

The thing is, Wagner hasn't exaclty been lights out as a closer this season, plus he's out of contract at the end of the season, and he's said he could even retire. A lot of question marks to consider if someone's going to trade for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:41 AM)
The thing is, Wagner hasn't exaclty been lights out as a closer this season, plus he's out of contract at the end of the season, and he's said he could even retire. A lot of question marks to consider if someone's going to trade for him.

2.13 era, 20 for 22 in save opps, he's been pretty dominate and he's just so damn good. I agree with your other points though, there are things to consider but if you can get Billy Wagner you have to do it, he's just to good to pass up imo, if he's available of course.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
2.13 era, 20 for 22 in save opps, he's been pretty dominate and he's just so damn good.  I agree with your other points though, there are things to consider but if you can get Billy Wagner you have to do it, he's just to good to pass up imo, if he's available of course.

Those stats are good, but he has struggled a little at home at Citizens a lot more than he's pitched away this season, just a factor to consider if he's going to pitch at the Cell, considering most of our pitchers have much better road ERA's than home ERA's in the past 2 years. But I'm just nit-picking. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:46 AM)
Those stats are good, but he has struggled a little at home at Citizens a lot more than he's pitched away this season, just a factor to consider if he's going to pitch at the Cell, considering most of our pitchers have much better road ERA's than home ERA's in the past 2 years. But I'm just nit-picking.  :)

Not nit-picking those are good points. I honestly just think Wagner is such a shutdown reliever and I'd love to have the guy. Trust me that's no shot at Hermy at all and I have a ton of faith in the guy but Wags is a top 3-5 closer in baseball imo and Dustin could be the setup man which he would have no problem with, you deepen the bullpen and wow that bullpen would definitely be stacked, once again this is all jmo. Hope it happens and then we can discuss it more. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
It just depends if KW wants to give up some uber prospects for Wagner, or say trade Shingo and a mid - level one for Latroy Hawkins, Ron Villone or Scott Eyre.

It depends on Dustin's back and if the sox thinl it could be more serious down the road. If the sox don't get a SP [which they probably won't--weaver, Burnett etc aren't that big of an upgrade over Jose and Orlando] the sox would have enough talent to land Wagner as their only big acquisition.

With Guardado's arm a big risk, few other closers are out there. IMO, a healthy Wagner would be worth the propsects given up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
Not nit-picking those are good points.  I honestly just think Wagner is such a shutdown reliever and I'd love to have the guy.  Trust me that's no shot at Hermy at all and I have a ton of faith in the guy but Wags is a top 3-5 closer in baseball imo and Dustin could be the setup man which he would have no problem with, you deepen the bullpen and wow that bullpen would definitely be stacked, once again this is all jmo.  Hope it happens and then we can discuss it more. :)

i agree with you. in my opinion, there are only about 3-4 players available that will impact a playoff series. burnett is one (but is inconsistent, and a question mark with health, money, prospects/major league players given up), schmidt is one (but has the same questions as burnett), guardado (health concern) and wagner. of them to me, wagner is the only sure fire impact player in terms of performance. even in terms of position players, i don't see anybody else out there that will have a huge impact on any team. wagner is top 5 closer no doubt (a healthy gagne, rivera, and then wagner id say). but when your lefties outa the pen are wagner marte cotts, with hermanson and politte in there, and with the ability of our top 3 starters to go 6-7 innings, fohgetaboutit

We're 13 games up right now. Anybody else think that we could "survive" with a Politte/Marte combo to close games? Their closing history is a tad scary, but I say its worth a shot. Especially considering Politte's rediculous success this season.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
Does Wagner transform this team into a sure-fire World Series winner?  No.  Therefore, we don't need him.

Umm, nothing really makes a team a sure-fire winner. But it does give us the best bullpen out there. And that my friend, is what wins playoff games.

I don't think that there's any doubt about it - we need Billy Wagner. It's easy to visualize needing one more out to advance in the playoffs, and that out is Garret Anderson, Johnny Damon, David Ortiz, etc. Plus, it gives Ozzie such flexibility using Cotts and Marte earlier in the game. KW has to go for it.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
I don't think that there's any doubt about it - we need Billy Wagner. It's easy to visualize needing one more out to advance in the playoffs, and that out is Garret Anderson, Johnny Damon, David Ortiz, etc. Plus, it gives Ozzie such flexibility using Cotts and Marte earlier in the game. KW has to go for it.

I love it when you analyze. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Umm, nothing really makes a team a sure-fire winner.  But it does give us the best bullpen out there.  And that my friend, is what wins playoff games.

If you read this board long enough, everything wins playoff games: starting pitching, bullpen, slugging offense, manufacturing runs...

Anyway, I think Wagner would have a similar price tag to Burnett. Wade's job is on the line and I doubt he'll give up a huge piece of his team if he can't get current MLB contributors.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
If you read this board long enough, everything wins playoff games: starting pitching, bullpen, slugging offense, manufacturing runs...

Anyway, I think Wagner would have a similar price tag to Burnett.  Wade's job is on the line and I doubt he'll give up a huge piece of his team if he can't get current MLB contributors.

You forgot speed and defense. :D

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)

Anyway, I think Wagner would have a similar price tag to Burnett.  Wade's job is on the line and I doubt he'll give up a huge piece of his team if he can't get current MLB contributors.

The opinions on the board do not always speak the truth. Fact is, a good bullpen is needed to win a playoff series. We have one. A great bullpen is needed to win the WS, we need one more piece. I am fine with our starting rotation right now, I think that AJ Burnett wont be that much better than El Duque in the playoffs, so I am fine with staying pat. BUt I do think we need one more arm in the pen. As of right now, we are hoping that Jenks will come around and be that dominant presence, but he is a large question mark. Bring in a top five closer, would really help out our cause. And no, considering that Wagner may not even play next year, his price tag wouldnt even be close.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
The opinions on the board do not always speak the truth.  Fact is, a good bullpen is needed to win a playoff series.  We have one.  A great bullpen is needed to win the WS, we need one more piece.  I am fine with our starting rotation right now, I think that AJ Burnett wont be that much better than El Duque in the playoffs, so I am fine with staying pat.  BUt I do think we need one more arm in the pen.  As of right now, we are hoping that Jenks will come around and be that dominant presence, but he is a large question mark.  Bring in a top five closer, would really help out our cause.  And no, considering that Wagner may not even play next year, his price tag wouldnt even be close.

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Just kidding. I agree with you. Wagner would go a LONG way to increasing our chances of winning the whole enchilada.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Thank you Mr. Obvious. 

Just kidding.  I agree with you.  Wagner would go a LONG way to increasing our chances of winning the whole enchilada.

hahaha, I didnt even try to make the comment about how large he is. Did anyone see Jenks warming in the pen next to Polite. He looked twice his size!