Ken Griffey Jr.

letsgoarow

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Someone on another forum suggested Konerko for Griffey straight up.  Dye moves to 1B and Griffey starts in RF. 

The Sox could then cut Timo and bring up Gload to back up Dye at 1B.

Probably will never happen, but I like it.

a few points...

first.) konerko was acquired from the reds for cameron, who then traded to seattle for griffey...trading griffey for konerko would just bring that thing full circle..or something like that

2.) WHY? this trade isnt that well thought out. you are decreasing the defense shuffling dye to 1b. you are taking a power hitter with 22 homers for a power hitter with 21 homers. you are also subjecting yourself to a guy who is injury prone making a ton of money. at this point id rather have PK than griffey, because htey supply the same offensive production, and konekro has less of an injury risk for less money

Griffey's contract for those who don't know:

$6M/yr from 2005-2009. $58M deferred after 2009. Interest does not accrue on the $58M until after 2009. One of the best deals ever considering his stature at the time.

I don't know how to entice him to Chicago but he is the answer to our biggest weakness (we can't hit good RH arms). We are getting little from the DH dept in that area. (Thomas < .200A, Everett < .240). Thomas HR's have masked that weakness for the last month. But it's starting to become more evident now. I would not hesitate to start Griffey over Rowand in CF in the post-season. That's taking nothing away from Aaron but he simply is not Griffey.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
This was originally my idea(PK for KGF And Dye to 1B) and everyone shot it down so damn quickly. Funny how things change.

Again, where are the Reds going to put Paul? Back to 3B? I don't think so.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
This was originally my idea(PK for KGF And Dye to 1B) and everyone shot it down so damn quickly. Funny how things change.

Dye as the regular at 1B in the middle of the season is going to get shot down by anyone that has half a brain.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
It still amazes me how many people think dye can be an everyday first baseman.......he played one game at first, and played it a little in the minors.....idiots

Anyone who thinks an athlete the calibur of Dye-- a major leaguer who has played baseball all his life, and who has showed the ability to play 1B already-- cannot play 1B adequately is the idiot.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Anyone who thinks an athlete the calibur of Dye-- a major leaguer who has played baseball all his life, and who has showed the ability to play 1B already-- cannot play 1B adequately is the idiot.

C'mon! Get real. Your are talking about playing someone out of position every day and he hasn't played but a few games there in a period of years. This does happen to be the Major Leagues and this does happen to be a pennant race.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Well the Reds do not like Casey and plan on letting him go at the end of the season. Casey would probably ride the bench the rest of the way.

They do not like him yet they picked up his 2006 option this past off-season?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Go to a Reds board. I'm a Reds fan, I know some things about them. They would like to get rid of Casey.

Do the Reds want to get rid of him, or do the fans?

95% of White Sox fans never want see Timo get another AB(/become starting RFer in Minnesota), but KW and Guillen and anyone who is anyone in that organization apparently wants to keep him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
Do the Reds want to get rid of him, or do the fans?

95% of White Sox fans never want see Timo get another AB(/become starting RFer in Minnesota), but KW and Guillen and anyone who is anyone in that organization apparently wants to keep him.

Both really.