Burnett Trade Holdup

palesox38

Do you believe Peter Gammons' deadline for the Burnett trade?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Peter Gammons' deadline for the Burnett trade?

• Yes
    • No
    • A rumor is a rumor until it really happens

I just read on ESPN.com that basically the entire AL East is still interested in Burnett (I don't know the sox's stance). While I still think the O's have the best chance, (even though Gammons said if it wasn't done by noon yesterday, it wouldn't happen) could the Marlins be entertaining other offers?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I don't think Gammons is misinformed but the Marlins probably are setting the deadline as a means of negotiating but they'd revisit a trade after it. Just one of those things.

yes. its very possible. the white sox are much more alive in the burnett rumor this morning than they were yesterday. jayson stark said that the orioles are refusing to take on lowells contract and cant find the right fit to move him in a 3 way trade. he said that the marlins may have to listen to other deals because the O's deal is looking shaky at this point. there were some articles today on prosportsdaily.com that had a similar sentiment

The yankees will probably get him and he'll get hurt and join the rest of there DL pitching staff.

Some People are not to crazy about the Sox going after him, but if we dont theres a good chance were gonna face him in the playoffs.

Jul 20 - Though the Marlins' proposed trade with the Orioles has cooled slightly, it is expected to get done, the Miami Herald reports. The deal now on the table would send A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell to Baltimore in exchange for reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie, minor-league pitcher Hayden Penn and possibly reliever Steve Kline.

The two clubs still are trying to iron out differences about how much each team would pay toward the remainder of Lowell's contract (about $21 million). The Marlins probably would have to absorb about $10 million of Lowell's contract for the Orioles to sign off on the deal.

If the issue isn't resolved, it's possible Lowell might remain with the Marlins and suitors for Burnett could grow to include the Red Sox (offering a package headed by Bronson Arroyo), Blue Jays (Gustavo Chacin and bullpen arms) and White Sox (Jose Contreras and prospects).

All about the Benjamins

Jul 20 - According to the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, the Orioles don't want to Mike Lowell as part of any A.J. Burnett trade unless one of two things happens: The Marlins can take back right-hander Sidney Ponson, who is due $10 million in 2006, the final season of a three-year, $22.5 million deal. Or they can pick up a significant portion of Lowell's remaining contract. Lowell is signed through 2007 and owed about $21 million, including this season.

Should the entire deal with Baltimore collapse, the Marlins likely would turn their attention back toward the White Sox, who have been actively scouting Burnett and have expressed some mild interest in Lowell, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. But the White Sox are wrestling with whether to mess with the chemistry of the best team in baseball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
Jul 20 - Though the Marlins' proposed trade with the Orioles has cooled slightly, it is expected to get done, the Miami Herald reports. The deal now on the table would send A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell to Baltimore in exchange for reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie, minor-league pitcher Hayden Penn and possibly reliever Steve Kline.

The two clubs still are trying to iron out differences about how much each team would pay toward the remainder of Lowell's contract (about $21 million). The Marlins probably would have to absorb about $10 million of Lowell's contract for the Orioles to sign off on the deal.

If the issue isn't resolved, it's possible Lowell might remain with the Marlins and suitors for Burnett could grow to include the Red Sox (offering a package headed by Bronson Arroyo), Blue Jays (Gustavo Chacin and bullpen arms) and White Sox (Jose Contreras and prospects).

All about the Benjamins

Jul 20 - According to the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, the Orioles don't want to Mike Lowell as part of any A.J. Burnett trade unless one of two things happens: The Marlins can take back right-hander Sidney Ponson, who is due $10 million in 2006, the final season of a three-year, $22.5 million deal. Or they can pick up a significant portion of Lowell's remaining contract. Lowell is signed through 2007 and owed about $21 million, including this season.

Should the entire deal with Baltimore collapse, the Marlins likely would turn their attention back toward the White Sox, who have been actively scouting Burnett and have expressed some mild interest in Lowell, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. But the White Sox are wrestling with whether to mess with the chemistry of the best team in baseball.

I read that earlier and I hope Kenny is willing to do it because we would be even more scary to face than we are now and I still believe contreras is too much of a question mark to keep.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)

wow, if that deal does go through, the orioles sure don't give up much. Julio is out of their plans, Kline is having one of his worst years, Bigbie is nothing special... the only guy I'm unsure about is Hayden Penn. I'm sure he's a good prospect, but considering what the rumors were about Contreras, Crede, and Marte having to go, plus possibly McCarthy, I don't think that can be accurate.

The whole adding Lowell to the Burnett trade has seemed to scare the Orioles away. Most teams want nothing to do with Lowell, so the Marlins just might end up keeping Lowell and end up just trading Burnett after all. Whoever makes the best offer to Flordia for Burnett alone will end up with him. This puts the Sox right back in the swing of things as Flordia is extremely interested in Contreras to be their closer. Who knows, we might get Burnett afterall?!?

From reading the reports over the last couple weeks, it seems like Kenny has made his stance on it known to the Marlins, and, like the article says, will jump in only if it seems Baltimore won't be a destination. My best guess is that KW thinks that Burnett is an upgrade over Contreras, but doesn't think losing an arm like Marte is worth it. I also guess that he wants no part of Lowell, wanting it to be Burnett alone or nothing at all.

Florida has the potential to be really good, but their staff can't stay healthy, and I really can't see them staying with Atlanta, who will win the East yet again (IMO). I'm just thinking, they keep saying they still want to have a shot to win the East, but I don't see it...