Who would be the best?

Steve9347

If you had to pick any one of the players possibly coming to the Sox, who do you think will have the best impact on our team?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick any one of the players possibly coming to the Sox, who do you think will have the best impact on our team?

• Danys Baez
    • AJ Burnett
    • Aubrey Huff
    • Lyle Overbay
    • Jason Schmidt
    • Omar Vizquel
    • Billy Wagner
    • other

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!! OVERBAY!!!

our need for someone who can contribute daily at 3B (not just the occasional clutch hit,0 far outweighs our need for a 1B this year. Give me Huff...

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
our need for someone who can contribute daily at 3B (not just the occasional clutch hit, far outweighs our need for a 1B this year.

I disagree strongly. Crede is abso-f***ing-lutely solid at 3B. His defense is top notch and his offense has been coming around. I have really warmed up to Crede and I hope he has a monster 2nd half. Imagine this:

Pods

Gooch

Overbay

Dye

PK

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
our need for someone who can contribute daily at 3B (not just the occasional clutch hit,0 far outweighs our need for a 1B this year.  Give me Huff...

Don't underestimate the importance of Crede's glove to this team. The guy is a possible gold glove candidate, and Huff is a below average 3rd baseman. As crazy as Crede makes me at the plate, he does just enough to justify keeping him in the line-up with his already steady fielding.

This is not to mention that it would most likely cost less to get Overbay. If the asking price for Huff in previous years is any indication, it would be hard to pull off a trade for him without significantly hurting another area on the current team (most likely the bullpen). Figure that with the probability of Konerko being gone next year, we'd then have a reletively cheap 1st baseman for our future.

Of course, this all depends on whether Overbay is indeed available, which none of us know. But I like Overbay enough to say that we should get him in the offseason if we can't land him by the trade deadline.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
our need for someone who can contribute daily at 3B (not just the occasional clutch hit,0 far outweighs our need for a 1B this year.  Give me Huff...

But this means you want to get away from what has gotten us this far, our defense. Crede is f***ing stellar at third with the glove and is a big reason for a lot of runners not crossing the plate because of his defensive play. Huff is brutal at 3B that's why Pinella pulled him from third half way through last year and he's been playing OF/1B/DH exclusively since then. He's a huge step down from Crede with the glove.

Give me Overbay, his left handed bat in the middle of this lineup would be huge.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
But this means you want to get away from what has gotten us this far, our defense. Crede is f***ing stellar at third with the glove and is  a big reason for a lot of runners not crossing the plate because of his defensive play. Huff is brutal at 3B that's why Pinella pulled him from third half way through last year and he's been playing OF/1B/DH exclusively since then. He's a huge step down from Crede with the glove.

Give me Overbay, his left handed bat in the middle of this lineup would be huge.

I agree. Pulling Crede and replacing him any 'Hands of Stone' 3B would be counter-productive.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
But this means you want to get away from what has gotten us this far, our defense. Crede is f***ing stellar at third with the glove and is  a big reason for a lot of runners not crossing the plate because of his defensive play. Huff is brutal at 3B that's why Pinella pulled him from third half way through last year and he's been playing OF/1B/DH exclusively since then. He's a huge step down from Crede with the glove.

^^^^

End of discussion...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
I disagree strongly. Crede is abso-f***ing-lutely solid at 3B. His defense is top notch and his offense has been coming around. I have really warmed up to Crede and I hope he has a monster 2nd half. Imagine this:

Pods

Gooch

Overbay

Dye

PK

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

Haven't you realized by now Pauly's going to be the teams cleanup hitter all year.

EDIT: To answer the question I'd absolutely love Huff or Overbay.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Haven't you realized by now Pauly's going to be the teams cleanup hitter all year.

EDIT: To answer the question I'd absolutely love Huff or Overbay.

But he shouldnt be the cleanup hitter. He is brutal with RISP and 2 outs. I am tired of his pop ups and GIDP. Dye has been tearing the cover off the ball and he deserves to be the cleanup hitter IMHO.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
But he shouldnt be the cleanup hitter. He is brutal with RISP and 2 outs. I am tired of his pop ups and GIDP. Dye has been tearing the cover off the ball and he deserves to be the cleanup hitter IMHO.

I'm not disagreeing but Pauly's going to be our cleanup hitter no matter what so it's a moot point.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Because it's clear other guys should be cleanup hitters on this team, but Ozzie just won't move him. I honestly don't see PK moving from the 4 spot either which is dumb IMO.

I figured that would be the case and it is a shame. To me, Dye is CLEARLY the cleanup guy for us right now. Overbay, Dye, and PK are my 3-4-5 is we get this deal done, but I dont see it happening.