Cub fans "classless" according to Cubs players

Former Cub LaTroy Hawkins was serenaded mockingly for one long inning Tuesday night after serving up a game-tying home run to Michael Barrett in the eighth inning, causing some of his ex-teammates to criticize Cubs fans for stepping over the line.

Derrek Lee called the chanting "classless," Ryan Dempster said it was "disappointing," and manager Dusty Baker wondered who would be next.

"It wasn't good," Lee said. "There was no need for it. If you want to boo him when he comes in, fine, but chanting 'Hawkins [stinks],' and going on for the whole inning, is out of line. … It was a little classless, I thought. They went overboard."

Dempster said Hawkins knew he would be booed, but no one expected the taunting to be quite so harsh and personal.

"It was kind of disappointing that instead of them worrying about cheering for us, they seemed more preoccupied with booing him," Dempster said. "Instead of being happy we were scoring runs, they were happier he was giving them up, and booing him."

Dempster said he could count on one hand how many times he heard a Cubs player booed when he was an opposing player from 1998-2003.

"It seems like last year and this year, I can count one hand every homestand how many times guys have been booed," he said.

"That's the expectations though. That's what happens when you're a couple of outs away from going to the World Series in '03. They have to understand we want to win just as bad as they want us to, and to be honest, we want to win more. The mood has definitely changed around here because of the expectations."

After Tuesday's game, Baker insisted the treatment of Hawkins didn't disturb him, saying it was not surprising.

"They taunted him when he was here," he said.

But asked Wednesday morning if he felt sympathy towards Hawkins, Baker said, "It was worse last night [than when Hawkins was a Cub]. At least they didn't say 'Hawkins [stinks]' when he was here like they did last night. That was bad. I was in the dugout saying, 'Sorry, Hawk, but we have to beat you. I like you, but we have to beat you.'

"That's how it is. If you're going to boo, you boo and get it over with and go on about your business, and play the game. That sort of gave me the chills a little bit, to wonder who's next on the list?"

Was Baker implying he was next on "the list?"

"No, I ain't saying nothing," he said, laughing. "Possibility though."

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Now some of us have known this for years.  Pretty funny how their own team admits their fans SUCK.

That is just classless. We didnt go around chanting "Maggs Sucks" and we will not go about chanting "Shingo Sucks" if we ever run into him again. f***ing idiots....

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
That is just classless. We didnt go around chanting "Maggs Sucks" and we will not go about chanting "Shingo Sucks" if we ever run into him again. f***ing idiots....

But the HUGE difference is that while Maggs was here he didn't suck. Hawkins sucked and sucked BIGTIME. He just about single-handedly stopped the Cubs from making the playoffs last year and helped contribute to their crappy start this year. Hawkins came into Cubdom being a prick and bashing the fans and the media, and even said stuff in the S.F. paper about the Chicago fans.

Keep booing Cub fans....even though i'm shocked you all were watching enough of the game to even know he sucked.

juddling

Haha, this is great. I even felt that it was very classless when watching it. I mean it went on the whole time he was in there. I feel sorry for the guy. That would be funny if the Sox were to get him and the Cubs and White Sox played each other in the WS and Hawkins strikes out the heart of the order with him pitching in the 7th. I'd laugh my ass off so damn much.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
But the HUGE difference is that while Maggs was here he didn't suck.  Hawkins sucked and sucked BIGTIME.  He just about single-handedly stopped the Cubs from making the playoffs last year and helped contribute to their crappy start this year.  Hawkins came into Cubdom being a prick and bashing the fans and the media, and even said stuff in the S.F. paper about the Chicago fans. 

Keep booing Cub fans....even though i'm shocked you all were watching enough of the game to even know he sucked.

juddling

I disagree strongly. He started sucking when the Cubs tried to turn him into a closer in which he admittedly said several times, even before he went to the Cubs, that he is not. They forced him into a role he's not comfortable with and he failed. What did you expect?

Hawkins was a great setup man and I think he still could be one with the right pitching coach(Coop, Mazzone, etc). I feel sorry for Hawkins. And I would say he wasn't the reason they didn't make the playoffs last year. It was a crappy bullpen that forced him to be something he wasn't and an even s***ter Sosa and a bunch of babies crying what the announcers were saying instead of doing their jobs.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Didn't make it out to any of the Detroit games did ya.. ?

No but I guess you are inferring we did. I watched the game and never heard "Maggs Sucks" as a chant. I heard boos and the occasional "You Suck Maggs!" but never a chant...

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
I doubt koch would get treated like that if he came back as a visitor.  Hawkins received racist letters in the mail on top of things.  Shingo definately would never get that treatment.

Of course not. We still love Shingo. It is just a shame that he never got it together this season. And now that we know he is going to stay in Charlotte, we can only hope he does get beck to the Shingo of '04.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Haha, this is great. I even felt that it was very classless when watching it. I mean it went on the whole time he was in there. I feel sorry for the guy. That would be funny if the Sox were to get him and the Cubs and White Sox played each other in the WS and Hawkins strikes out the heart of the order with him pitching in the 7th. I'd laugh my ass off so damn much.

I shudder at the thought of Hawkins pitching for the Sox..much less in the series. Besides...he's ex-Twin AND ex-cub. two strikes and he's out!!!!!

Edited by juddling

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
I doubt koch would get treated like that if he came back as a visitor.  Hawkins received racist letters in the mail on top of things.  Shingo definately would never get that treatment.

i would cheer Koch to be honest. He seemed like a great guy. He always took responsibility if he blew the game and he never blamed anybody else for his struggles.

i think your starting to hear the idiot cub fans boo(examples sosa and petterson) sosa was the heart and soul of that franchise, he has one bad year and everyone turns on him. with patterson he was having a good year a few years ago until he got hurt, plus he has a ton of potential. patterson is done playing for the cubs but if they trade him i wouldnt be surprised if he tore it up, the cub fans basically screwed up his mind by booing him every time batted

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
i would cheer Koch to be honest.  He seemed like a great guy.  He always took responsibility if he blew the game and he never blamed anybody else for his struggles.

I don't think anybody in a major league city will ever get a chance to boo or cheer Koch ever again, so you might as well forget about how you'd react to him.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
No but I guess you are inferring we did. I watched the game and never heard "Maggs Sucks" as a chant. I heard boos and the occasional "You Suck Maggs!" but never a chant...

A few times.. when we were losing... the shallow end of the gene pool acted their shoe size.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
The point is it wasnt half as bad as the treatment Latroy got...

Your point is stupid then. Saying a player sucks shows a lack of class regardless if it's done once, or 50 times.. for 2 minutes or 30.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Your point is stupid then. Saying a player sucks shows a lack of class regardless if it's done once, or 50 times.. for 2 minutes or 30.

Ok but which is worse... a few scattered fans saying you suck Magglio or a 30,000 fans chanting You Suck Latroy..... I dont see how my point is stupid when you compare the homecomings of both players....

QUOTE(juddling @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
I shudder at the thought of Hawkins pitching for the Sox..much less in the series.  Besides...he's ex-Twin AND ex-cub.  two strikes and he's out!!!!!

Was there ever a day you thought A.J. Pierzynski would be catching for the White Sox? Didn't think so.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Ok but which is worse... a few scattered fans saying you suck Magglio or a 30,000 fans chanting You Suck Latroy..... I dont see how my point is stupid when you compare the homecomings of both players....

Apparently there is a comprehension issue here....

They are BOTH classless.

Your point is stupid, IMO.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)

I don't see how it's stupid now. The alloted time spent critizing Hawkins is exactly the issue at hand here. It wasn't simply loud booing, as was expected, but continued heckling for the entire inning. Both circumstances involved booing former players, yes; but the difference between them should be noted.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
I don't see how it's stupid now. The alloted time spent critizing Hawkins is exactly the issue at hand here. It wasn't simply loud booing, as was expected, but continued heckling for the entire inning.  Both circumstances involved booing former players, yes; but the difference between them should be noted.

I wasn't debating the time.. I was stating my opinion that it's both classless no matter how long or short.

I never said anything about the time, or the treatment.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
I wasn't debating the time.. I was stating my opinion that it's both classless no matter how long or short.

I never said anything about the time, or the treatment.

And i wasnt debating if it was classless or not I was saying what they did was by far worse and you kept saying how that point is stupid which I have no clue why.