Big Frank

Jim Fainter

I'm sure most of you were watching the game on ESPN, but I was in my car during the first inning and listened to the game on ESPN radio. I don't know if Kimm waved in DA or if he ran on his own. Anyway, when Frank came to bat, they were talking about the flaws in his swing and how his back side and right leg collapse at the wrong time. Then they quoted somebody on the Sox who requested his name not be mentioned, who said that "you can't tell Frank anything" and was "uncoachable." The Espn Radio announcers were Dave Campbell and one other guy.

Isn't that really obvious. The guy has had the same mechanical flaws in his swing for two different hitting coaches spanning about 3 seasons. You don't think someone would have caught it and told him about it? The problem has got to be Frank. If it is obvious to a layman at home, the hitting coach saw it way before then. He just can't be listening.

I don't get ESPN radio, but watched on TV last night with Joe Morgan talking about Frank. He spotted differences in the way Frank was hitting in the past and said he is hitting flat footed and dropping down. He is also frustrated by the way the pitchers are approaching their game to him. They go inside and have him always looking there, but he is not making adjustments. They also mentioned Ichiro getting pitched the same way. The comment was you just have to adjust as it's no secret the way pitchers are going to come after him, but he isn't ready at all. There were two pitches right over the plate that Frank could have crushed, but he couldn't swing and looked as if he was backing out. Maybe Hriniak should join the team full time?

I have been one of big Franks biggest supporters. I'm one of the old timers on this board. I know how much a Frank Thomas in his prime would have meant to the go go era Sox of the 50's and 60's. At least two more pennants minimum. Having said that, when I look at his feeble attempts at the plate lately I can hardly believe that this is the same guy who was one of the most feared hitters in the game not that long ago. He's got himself completely tied up in knots. What about all that lunging at outside pitches? The guy has had his share of trouble in his personal life the last few years, maybe he needs counseling as much as he needs an effective hitting coach that he'll listen too.

My problem with Frank is that he seems to have this idea that he's "entitled" to the inside corner and that other players get the calls that he doesn't. This is a negative, counterproductive attitude. Frank doesn't seem to move around in the box much anymore, and he just kinda waits for something bad to happen to him. I just don't see the same confidence or presence from him that there once was.

How much of that is the fact that he's never wanted to be a DH? He really seems detached, like he's not paying attention. It's got to be hard to stay focused when your entire workday lasts about 4 minutes total.

I'm NOT suggesting that he should be put back at first base - he'd stink out loud over there - but I'm just posing that question. Do you think that NOT playing defense has hurt his approach at the plate?

I'm sure most of you were watching the game on ESPN, but I was in my car during the first inning and listened to the game on ESPN radio.  I don't know if Kimm waved in DA or if he ran on his own.  Anyway, when Frank came to bat, they were talking about the flaws in his swing and how his back side and right leg collapse at the wrong time.  Then they quoted somebody on the Sox who requested his name not be mentioned, who said that "you can't tell Frank anything" and was "uncoachable."  The Espn Radio announcers were Dave Campbell and one other guy.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE what a f***ing surprise. :rolleyes:

I don't get ESPN radio, but watched on TV last night with Joe Morgan talking about Frank. He spotted differences in the way Frank was hitting in the past and said he is hitting flat footed and dropping down. He is also frustrated by the way the pitchers are approaching their game to him. They go inside and have him always looking there, but he is not making adjustments. They also mentioned Ichiro getting pitched the same way. The comment was you just have to adjust as it's no secret the way pitchers are going to come after him, but he isn't ready at all. There were two pitches right over the plate that Frank could have crushed, but he couldn't swing and looked as if he was backing out. Maybe Hriniak should join the team full time?

I would love that idea, if nothing else as one of two batting coaches and let him work with the players who want to work with him

I would love that idea, if nothing else as one of two batting coaches and let him work with the players who want to work with him

hawk always talks about two hitting coaches..one to work with the table setters and one to work with the big boppers

Frank just looks lost up there. I wish he'd just try and hit the ball hard up the middle. I'll say this much, Frank was right on that strike 3 pitch in the 1st inning Sunday night. That pitch was inside.