The Island

JUGGERNAUT

Is human cloning inevitable?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is human cloning inevitable?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER - please explain

The B-movie The Island touches upon many issues related to human cloning. I call it a B-movie because the dialogue was awkward, the chemistry was weak, & the ending was a hollywood fairy-tale. The best performance in the film comes from the boiler room guy so that doesn't say much for the lead actors.

But putting the movie aside, they did touch upon the important issues. Human cloning is inevitable because whether it is legal or illegally the demand will be great.

Vanity-wise we already have an estimated 30 million people in America willing to break the law to get high. So you figure probably 60 million would be willing to break the law to stay younger &/or live longer.

Security-wise what a nightmare. Even if it takes 3 yrs to grow a full adult clone. Imagine a 5 star general getting pinched by a hot babe so she can get a sample. Three years later the enemy has themselves a tool to break any security measure associated with a physical characteristic. Passwords & badges can be hacked. That's the reason security is moving to physical characteristics to begin with. Cloning means the bad guys take the lead until nano-machines arrive.

Of course if in the middle of all this medical science develops what I will call "organ" interfaces then the vanity-wise selling point won't need clones. Healthy people will prove a good supply.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
The best performance in the film comes from the boiler room guy so that doesn't say much for the lead actors. 

That's Steve Buscemi, you need to get out more.

The movie was horrible. Horrible writing, preachy, incoherent, and showed NO understanding of how the government funds scientific research. Absolutely unrealistic. Horrible.

And, I doubt humans will be cloned.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
That's Steve Buscemi, you need to get out more.

The movie was horrible. Horrible writing, preachy, incoherent, and showed NO understanding of how the government funds scientific research. Absolutely unrealistic. Horrible.

And, I doubt humans will be cloned.

The saddest post I've ever made on here, probably, but I don't. I think it will be done. And, when it happens, Hell hath no fury...

I think that human cloning is inevitable because it's possible to do and I think it's getting nearly impossible to enforce laws against it. We can't stop North Korea from getting the bomb, if a scientist who believes in cloning decided to move there to finish his or her work, what would be there to stop them?

In terms of the "Therapeutic cloning" aspect, the whole idea of the Island...sort of a spare-body part warehouse, simply isn't what would actually happen...first of all because of how repugnant it is, but more importantly because if we let the research be done properly, hopefully there'd be no need for it.

The real goal of a full research project in this area would be to extract DNA from an individual, and use that DNA to produce stem cells that match the body of the recipient. Those cells could then hopefully be used as implants to help the person's body itself recover. I believe that is the ultimate goal of these sorts of programs, and hopefully it should be able to avoid the whole "body part warehouse" idea that people opposed to the research float.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
The saddest post I've ever made on here, probably, but I don't.  I think it will be done.  And, when it happens, Hell hath no fury...

And I'll go a step further and say that I believe it's a lot closer then we think...

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)
I think we all just need to take a breath and realize this is a debate about a film from Michael "I shouldn't be allowed to make any more movies because all of mine are crap" Bay.

And a thread started by Juggs.

KIDDING! :P