The Oakland A's

the People's Champ

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
not mentioning any names but someone posting here needs some Mydol

Lord help you when I am in the need of a Midol.... this is me on a happy day.

Will you be shutting up soon...?

Did I miss that apology..?

:rolly

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Let's compare apples to apples, guys.

Since divisional play began, what's the largest lead blown? In particular, since the three division format was introduced, what's the biggest lead blown?

My point? Back in 1951 it was perfectly reasonable for an elite team like the Giants to overtake another team that had a helluva season, even though the Dodgers had a 13 game lead. There were only two leagues and no divisions.

Oh yeah, and my other point is that again, if the Sox blow this I will eat a car.

(stirring the pot)

good point.

can it be done? yes.

will it be done? not likely

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Lord help you when I am in the need of a Midol.... this is me on a happy day.

Will you be shutting up soon...?

Did I miss that apology..?

:rolly

If I shut up how are you going to keep beefing up your post total :rolly

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Sorry guys, but the inconsistent Indians, Hunter-less and hitless Twins and terrible Tiggers are not good enough teams to win 40 of their last 50 games. It's not going to happen. Period.

It's not over 'til it's over!

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Hey Peter Gammons  since you are so up on baseball history,  Why dont recall one instance when a team has choked away a 13 game lead past Aug 8th and I will apologize for this thread and shut my mouth about it from here on

1951 Dodgers

They were in Brooklyn this time, and held a 13-game lead over the New York Giants on August 11. But the Giants won 52 of their final 63 games, the Dodgers lost six of their final 10 and a three-game playoff took place. You may have heard of this one. Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round the World capped off a four-run bottom of the ninth in the third game, giving the Giants a 5-4 victory.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Sorry guys, but the inconsistent Indians, Hunter-less and hitless Twins and terrible Tiggers are not good enough teams to win 40 of their last 50 games. It's not going to happen. Period.

If the Sox choke they won't have to. The right combo of their wins and our losses and we're the laughing stock... again.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
No, it wouldn't be impossible.  Are some of you not familiar with the history of baseball and some  of the big leads that have been choked away?  It has happened before and it WILL happen again.  Hopefully, not in 2005.

already has Oakland this year coming back from 12 down in 45 games

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
If I shut up how are you going to keep beefing up your post total :rolly

Ya got a point there. In responding I do feel a bit dirty like from talking to a troll or posting spam..

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
keep the insults coming honey.  16,000+ posts, looks like youve made a life of it

Naa.. no more insults. But when you need some facts feel free to ask.

Nearly 3 years around here.. the posts add up.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
If the Sox choke they won't have to. The right combo of their wins and our losses and we're the laughing stock... again.

Assuming the mediocre Indians play 6 over .500 (I think 28-22 is the very top of what they can do, but whatever), The Sox would have to lose 34 of their last 50 games. I can't think of a stretch the Sox have had in the past ten years (other than possibly august of 99) where they have been that bad over that many games.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Assuming the mediocre Indians play 6 over .500 (I think 28-22 is the very top of what they can do, but whatever), The Sox would have to lose 34 of their last 50 games. I can't think of a stretch the Sox have had in the past ten years (other than possibly august of 99) where they have been that bad over that many games.

But...but...but...dodgers...60 years ago... :rolly

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
But...but...but...dodgers...60 years ago...    :rolly

No, they didn't.

Gezzus Sleepy.. .if you're going to try to be a smart ass at least use the right facts.

:chair

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
But...but...but...dodgers...60 years ago...    :rolly

The point is anything can happen, I don't think any of us think the Sox are going to lose the division but stranger things have happened and nothing is over until it's over, imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
The point is anything can happen, I don't think any of us think the Sox are going to lose the division but stranger things have happened and nothing is over until it's over, imo.

I completely understand that point.

If it were any other team, I'd be saying the same thing.

But since it's the team that I follow and support, it pains me to hear the pessimists, and I'm the pessimistic type myself.

I just prefer to think positively. In my mind, we've already made the playoffs. That's just me, though. I keep thinking that if I will it, maybe it will actually come true this time. Everyone else is free to be as pessimistic or optimistic as they'd like.

Besides, the odds are hugely in our favor. I refuse to think of the negative things that have a tiny chance of happening. I honestly think we can't blow this...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)

If they lose it... oye ve... I don't even want to think of what this place will be like. The server will likely blow up. :o