Contreras

GoArow33

He looked fantastic last night. Did anyone feel comfortable with that lead last night? I actually did for once. My favorite one was when Contreras threw that nasty third strike forkball against Arod and Arod just kinda nodded at Jose like he respected the Ump's call. It was such cool thing. Maybe a big outing where he used to falter can get him on track finally. If he comes on, we have four aces and one very good pitcher as of late in El Duque. I'm kind of glad we didn't make a trade with the way we've pitched in the second half. Any comments on Jose? Is this for real?

Once again on Jose I'll say this. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be. He's got an amazing BAA stat, and a good ERA away from home this season. And most importantly, he doesn't seem to be walking many games since that Oakland game about a month ago.

QUOTE(GoArow33 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
He looked fantastic last night. Did anyone feel comfortable with that lead last night? I actually did for once. My favorite one was when Contreras threw that nasty third strike forkball against Arod and Arod just kinda nodded at Jose like he respected the Ump's call. It was such cool thing. Maybe a big outing where he used to falter can get him on track finally. If he comes on, we have four aces and one very good pitcher as of late in El Duque. I'm kind of glad we didn't make a trade with the way we've pitched in the second half. Any comments on Jose? Is this for real?

I must say, I actually felt comfortable with that lead, and the Count on the mound. It was a weird feeling. I didn't get nervous until Politte started off the ninth against A-Rod...and for good reason.

I think the Count can be a great pitcher...his problems are all between his ears.

Contreras was awesome last night and, although some of you out there might want to criticize Ozzie for his use of the bullpen in the ninth, he looked like a genius when he pulled Contreras after 7+. Ozzie made sure his starter could not leave the game with a loss and Politte pitched wonderfully once again to get out of that eighth inning jam. Granted, he gave up the bomb to ARod in the ninth - but he had the two run lead and could afford to make that mistake.

Kudos to Ozzie and Contreras.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
A big knock on Contreras was that he doesn't handle pressure situations and big games good. Well he proved that theory wrong last night as well. Props to him, and we needed it.  :cheers

And this is only about 2 weeks after he had a similarly good outing against Boston.

JOse ..wow what a well picthed game.

Seeing some of his games from when he played on the national team for cuba his stuff was nasty and jut plain unhittable..

I beleive he featured like6-7 pitches..

If he could just command more confidence and realize he is that goood we would have an amazing pitcher in him..

JOSE WAKE UP!!! YOUR STUFF IS THAT GOOD!!

It'd be interesting to see his Widger/Pierzynski splits--I know one of his shellings recently was with Widger behind the plate. FWIW, since the ASB he's had way more good outings than bad ones, if anyone wanted to notice.

Edited by sti3

QUOTE(GoArow33 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)

although i hate it when he uses it too much, but my favorite was when he threw 3 straight down right nasty forkballs in a row to Cano and got him swinging