"I Hate the White Sox" on Salon.com

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
I found it a bit pathetic that she said her marriage is failing due to the fact that the Twins suck :huh:

I'm pretty sure she was joking. That's not exactly something you would broadcast on a national media outlet, would you?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I'm pretty sure she was joking. That's not exactly something you would broadcast on a national media outlet, would you?

Dang, Soxy, I don't like you anymore as a poster. The Sox are doing too good.

:bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
She's good at what she does.  In fact, I enjoy her pain!  :lol:

And I would like to keep feeling it for years to come :P

Actually I would like to take this chance to issue a challenge to those who think Bat-girl is somekind of a no-talent clown. I want any of your to start your own blog, post the link here, and out do her. I want to see something original and funny, just like she does. If anyone of you can come up with something better, I will accept you talking bad about her abilities. Until then, this is your official challenge to put up or shut up.

Btw, a 2004 Sox version:

Stage 1: Denial

The Twins will fade. They can't be this good forever. The bubble will burst. The exuberance will become rational. If we can just pick up a game a week. Just a game a week. Well, maybe, um, two games for a couple of weeks…

Stage 2: Anger/Questioning

Why would a just God allow such things to happen? Why is evil rewarded and goodness punished? Why would Magglio Ordonez get struck down in the prime of his youth while Robby Alomar was allowed to remain in perfect health? Who replaced the regular bats with ass-bats? Why Scott Schoenweiss, why?

Stage 3: Bargaining

If the Sox can sweep this five-game series against Detroit, I'll go to the game every Sunday. I'll be good from now on. I'll wear my Ben Davis jersey all the time, even if it does give me a rash. I'll collect all the Sox bobbleheads. I won't complain about what a horrific pile of steaming crap our stadium is. I'll never call Jerry Reinsdorf a black-hearted tight-ass again. I'll…

Stage 4: Depression

I can't believe we lost five out of five to Detroit.

Stage 5: Acceptance.

I --

Wait a minute, acceptance? Are you crazy? There's still two months of baseball left to play! And the Cubs Still Suck!!!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)

Actually I would like to take this chance to issue a challenge to those who think Bat-girl is somekind of a no-talent clown.  I want any of your to start your own blog, post the link here, and out do her.  I want to see something original and funny, just like she does.  If anyone of you can come up with something better, I will accept you talking bad about her abilities.  Until then, this is your official challenge to put up or shut up.

I dont think anyone can. Her blog is incredibly original and written in the voice of a made up character. Bat-girl comes to life as a totally independent being, and expresses herself better than most real fans.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Our stadium hasn't been a pile of crap for several years now.

I dont see how anyone who is a fan of the Twins can make fun of any stadiums whatsoever.

If the Sox somehow pull of Griffey, I suppose her next published article will be about suicide instead of acceptance, lol.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
I dont see how anyone who is a fan of the Twins can make fun of any stadiums whatsoever. 

If the Sox somehow pull of Griffey, I suppose her next published article will be about suicide instead of acceptance, lol.

Where did she make fun of someone else's stadium?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Where did she make fun of someone else's stadium?

Actually, she didnt. I sort of retract my statement (the statement stands, the context in which I said it doesnt). I was responding more to what sti3 was saying.

If the Twins can sweep this five-game series against Detroit, I'll go to the game every Sunday. I'll be good from now on. I'll wear my Joe Mauer jersey all the time, even if it does give me a rash. I'll collect all the Twins medallions. I'll won't complain about what a horrific pile of steaming crap our stadium is. I'll never call Carl Pohlad a black-hearted tight-ass again. I'll…

hmmm, didnt notice the grammar error in that until I highlighted it.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Btw, a 2004 Sox version:

Stage 1: Denial

The Twins will fade. They can't be this good forever. The bubble will burst. The exuberance will become rational. If we can just pick up a game a week. Just a game a week. Well, maybe, um, two games for a couple of weeks…

Stage 2: Anger/Questioning

Why would a just God allow such things to happen? Why is evil rewarded and goodness punished? Why would Magglio Ordonez get struck down in the prime of his youth while Robby Alomar was allowed to remain in perfect health? Who replaced the regular bats with ass-bats? Why Scott Schoenweiss, why?

Stage 3: Bargaining

If the Sox can sweep this five-game series against Detroit, I'll go to the game every Sunday. I'll be good from now on. I'll wear my Ben Davis jersey all the time, even if it does give me a rash. I'll collect all the Sox bobbleheads. I won't complain about what a horrific pile of steaming crap our stadium is. I'll never call Jerry Reinsdorf a black-hearted tight-ass again. I'll…

Stage 4: Depression

I can't believe we lost five out of five to Detroit.

Stage 5: Acceptance.

I --

Wait a minute, acceptance? Are you crazy? There's still two months of baseball left to play! And the Cubs Still Suck!!!

:headbang thats awesome upnorth, way to flip it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)

Actually I would like to take this chance to issue a challenge to those who think Bat-girl is somekind of a no-talent clown.  I want any of your to start your own blog, post the link here, and out do her.  I want to see something original and funny, just like she does.  If anyone of you can come up with something better, I will accept you talking bad about her abilities.  Until then, this is your official challenge to put up or shut up.

Silly challenge.

I'll make the same challenge to you or anyone that ever insults any baseball player on here to go out and work your way the Big Leagues and do a better job.

Writing is her job; it's her profession. Writers get criticized. If you are in a profession that places you in the public eye and counts on the acceptance of an audience in order to be successful, expect criticism from those that don't like your style of doing what you do.

I reserve my right to not like her batgirl writings. In my opinion, she's a decent writer, just not when it comes to sports. She crosses the line from witty to stupid and ridiculous in most of the things I've read. Again, my opinion.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Silly challenge.

I'll make the same challenge to you or anyone that ever  insults any baseball player on here to go out and work your way the Big Leagues and do a better job.

Writing is her job; it's her profession.  Writers get criticized.  If you are in a profession that places you in the public eye and counts on the acceptance of an audience in order to be successful, expect criticism from those that don't like your style of doing what you do.

I reserve my right to not like her batgirl writings.  In my opinion, she's a decent writer, just not when it comes to sports.  She crosses the line from witty to stupid and ridiculous in most of the things I've read.  Again, my opinion.

Of course it is a silly challenge because no one here can do better. And of course, that's the point. If its so easy, how come none of you are doing anything better?

You all can make fun of her because of how she looks and how awful her writing is, but no one here can do it any better. All of the sudden everyone who said how amatuerish her writings were have disappeared because they know they couldn't write anything that could carry Bat-girl's jock in a UPS truck.

Its always easier to tear something down and be the negative vs putting yourself in the spotlight and actually doing something. And as usual on here, many have opted for the easy road out. Why risk yourself by trying to be proactive, when you can make yourself feel better by tearing someone else down to your level.

To be quite honest I would be shocked if anyone here even tried to out-write Bat-girl, and that wouldn't even be if they succeeded at all. I am sure everyone who thought her stuff was weak, won't even give it a try as usual.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Silly challenge.

I'll make the same challenge to you or anyone that ever  insults any baseball player on here to go out and work your way the Big Leagues and do a better job.

Writing is her job; it's her profession.  Writers get criticized.  If you are in a profession that places you in the public eye and counts on the acceptance of an audience in order to be successful, expect criticism from those that don't like your style of doing what you do.

I reserve my right to not like her batgirl writings.  In my opinion, she's a decent writer, just not when it comes to sports.  She crosses the line from witty to stupid and ridiculous in most of the things I've read.  Again, my opinion.

Is she a writer? Or is she someone who started a blog and because of the talent she exhibited was asked to contribute elsewhere?

And of course you're entitled to your opinion, just as others reserve the right to express their opinion of yours.However if you want your views to hold any weight then providing more than just stating something is stupid and ridiculous would help.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Of course it is a silly challenge because no one here can do better.  And of course, that's the point.  If its so easy, how come none of you are doing anything better?

If I were to go back and look through all of your posts, I'm sure I'd find a couple, or maybe even a few, negative comments about players, but I don't have 8 months of time to spare to go through all of your posts. ;)

What I thought was silly was you saying that we should not criticize someone because we probably can't do as good of a job. That's like the complete opposite of what soxtalk is. We criticize players ALL THE TIME, and I'm fairly confident in saying that almost none of us would be able to do a better job.

Writing is her profession. She better be able to do a better than most of us average joe's, or else she'd probably have problems putting food on the table.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Is she a writer? Or is she someone who started a blog and because of the talent she exhibited was asked to contribute elsewhere?

And of course you're entitled to your opinion, just as others reserve the right to express their opinion of yours.However if you want your views to hold any weight then providing more than just stating  something is stupid and ridiculous would help.

She is a professional writer. She is a published novelist.

And if she were writing about the Sox, you'd love her.

Try to look past team issues and see talent for what it is.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)

And of course you're entitled to your opinion, just as others reserve the right to express their opinion of yours.However if you want your views to hold any weight then providing more than just stating  something is stupid and ridiculous would help.

Yeah, she's a writer.

And as for an example, her boone article comes to mind...

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
She is a professional writer. She is a published novelist.

And if she were writing about the Sox, you'd love her.

Try to look past team issues and see talent for what it is.

I like her now and I'd absolutely love her if she was writing about the Sox(there's sooo much more material with the Sox anyhow).

I didn't know if she was a writer or not, that's why I framed it as a ???? However I doubt she's writing her blog as a pro getting paid and more as a fan.