Any Sci-Fi Channel fans and Comcast slaves?

DonkeyKongerko

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I only watch Sci-fi when they have marathons of cheesy, made-for-TV movies that attempt to be scary, but just make you laugh at how cheap it is and the occassional actor that you can recognize shows up.

Bruce Cambell seemingly lives on these Sci-Fi produced TV movies not fit for direct to video release. Thank god 'Bubba Ho Tep' revived his career. Can't expect a man to live of Evil Dead his entire life.

Sci-Fi channel itself lost it's appeal several years ago. I document the collapse as occuring sometime around 1999. In junior high, every Friday night I would set my VCR to record a horror movie broadcasted around 7:00 pm. You could almost guarantee a solid movie, and if you hadn't heard of it before (Suspiria/Don't Look Now/Black Cat (Lucio Fulci version)) you trusted their judgement. Then, one Friday Sci-Fi channel decides to air 'The Guardian.' It was, quite possibly, the worst movie I've ever seen-- and I've watched countless European horror movies. It all went downhill from there.

Beyond the movies, there were several television shows picked up from obscurity and given new life. Friday the 13th: The Series, She-Wolf of London, Monsters, Sliders were entertaining to watch late on a Saturday night. Today, all four series are practically collectors items. We're lucky if anything but Stargate SG1 and Battlestar Galactica are showing on continuous loops during the daytime.

The problem is the Sci-Fi channel has reverted back to it's early days in which it attracts, and specifically markets, true science fiction fans. Maybe it's ratings are solid, and this is exactly what the network intended, but for a person like myself--who enjoyed Sci-Fi's old programming selections, it's difficult to support the station. When Comcast alleniates its true fan base I can only imagine it's even tougher.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
directv is the way to go for all ur tv needs. f*** the cable company's. there no good anymore.

I used to think like you/agree, and i probably still do, but then I discovered HDTV, where DirecTV blows chunks: has bad HD picture quality because it compresses all the channels together, small selection of channels (no locals), and charging at least $300 for a receiver ($1000 for hd dvr)

I used to hate Comcast, but have switched so I can now see the Sox and Bulls games in HD, free HD-DVR, free Hbos, for cheaper than DirecTV :)

I love old Twilight Zone reruns on Sci-Fi.

Seriously, here in NE Iowa we haave more cabel channels than I can deal with on regular cable. Every channel 2-70 is occupied except for 3, 8, 10, 19 and 20. Then we've got 77 and 78. Other cities here have even more.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
I used to think like you/agree, and i probably still do, but then I discovered HDTV, where DirecTV blows chunks: has bad HD picture quality because it compresses all the channels together, small selection of channels (no locals), and charging at least $300 for a receiver ($1000 for hd dvr)

I used to hate Comcast, but have switched so I can now see the Sox and Bulls games in HD, free HD-DVR, free Hbos, for cheaper than DirecTV :)

DING! :wub: . Can I use you for our marketing campaign?

:lol:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Beyond the movies, there were several television shows picked up from obscurity and given new life. Friday the 13th: The Series, She-Wolf of London, Monsters, Sliders were entertaining to watch late on a Saturday night. Today, all four series are practically collectors items. We're lucky if anything but Stargate SG1 and Battlestar Galactica are showing on continuous loops during the daytime.

I happen to be a fan of the Stargate series and Battlestar along with some of the other resurrected series you mentioned. In fact, Stargate SG-1 was lifted from about 5 years of obscurity on Showtime where I don't know if anyone knew about it.

They still also bring back other short-lived shows like Firefly to give audiences a chance to see what they missed out on.

I'm not a huge fan of the "cheesy" monster flicks that they show but I will usually give them a watch over late night movies on any other channel. Some of my favorites are those in the Tremors and Phantasm series.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
I happen to be a fan of the Stargate series and Battlestar along with some of the other resurrected series you mentioned. In fact, Stargate SG-1 was lifted from about 5 years of obscurity on Showtime where I don't know if anyone knew about it.

They still also bring back other short-lived shows like Firefly to give audiences a chance to see what they missed out on.

I'm not a huge fan of the "cheesy" monster flicks that they show but I will usually give them a watch over late night movies on any other channel. Some of my favorites are those in the Tremors and Phantasm series.

I thought the sequel sucked big time but do you remember the movie "The Cube" I really liked that movie. Who would have thought the Canadians could make decent sci-fi.... :bang

:cheers :gosox3:

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
directv is the way to go for all ur tv needs. f*** the cable company's. there no good anymore.

Damn, can't believe that dropped Sci-fi..I have DirectTV also, and would be kinda pissed about that..although i only watch like 2 shows on there..Ghost Hunters and Firefly.

Edited by GASHWOUND