"Seasons Over" "Sox Are Done" "First Round &a

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
The Patton quote doesn't really fit.  If we're Americans and we love winners, then why the hell would any of us love the White Sox?  They haven't won anything in any of our lifetimes.

We're fans because we love this team, not that they're winners.  In fact, saying we love winners is like switching your allegiance every year to whoever wins.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.  That's my take.  I'm hoping they'll do something miraculous, but I'm preparing myself for the more likely scenario that they'll fall flat on their faces like they've done so many times before.

So you go into every game preparing for the Sox to lose? That sounds pretty boring and negative to me. Is it just me or does anyone else go into every game with a positive attitude. I usually don't take to the strategy of thinking the Sox are going to lose, but oh, I will go or I will watch because they might win. To win the World Series this year would not be miraculous. There is no one dominate team out there that everyone says, well theres your champ. Boston doesn't have the pitching, Anaheim is very similar to the Sox, the Yankees don't have any pitching, Oakland has good pitching and decent bats, but they can be beat. Who do you say, the Sox have no chance against?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
So you go into every game preparing for the Sox to lose?  That sounds pretty boring and negative to me.  Is it just me or does anyone else go into every game with a positive attitude.  I usually don't take to the strategy of thinking the Sox are going to lose, but oh, I will go or I will watch because they might win.  To win the World Series this year would not be miraculous.  There is no one dominate team out there that everyone says, well theres your champ.  Boston doesn't have the pitching, Anaheim is very similar to the Sox, the Yankees don't have any pitching, Oakland has good pitching and decent bats, but they can be beat.  Who do you say, the Sox have no chance against?

Of course there's a chance. The Royals can win every game for the rest of the year. We can win the rest of the year. But, our record against playoff teams isn't good, and our pitching against those with good offense isn't good either. Add in playoff experience, and it doesn't look as good.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
The Patton quote doesn't really fit.  If we're Americans and we love winners, then why the hell would any of us love the White Sox?  They haven't won anything in any of our lifetimes.

We're fans because we love this team, not that they're winners.  In fact, saying we love winners is like switching your allegiance every year to whoever wins.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.  That's my take.  I'm hoping they'll do something miraculous, but I'm preparing myself for the more likely scenario that they'll fall flat on their faces like they've done so many times before.

The part of the Patton quote that fits is "I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed" You've prepared yourself for them losing by saying it all year...so when it happens..no big deal. You have no heart invested in it.

I think they're winners. They won 80 games and have the best record in the American league....I'm not talking about what they did my whole lifetime...I'm talking about now. This team has nothing to do with the team 5 years ago, 10 years ago or 80 years ago. They share the same name...that's it!!

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is a pretty s***ty way to root for a favorite team. It doesn't even sound fun.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Of course there's a chance.  The Royals can win every game for the rest of the year.  We can win the rest of the year.  But, our record against playoff teams isn't good, and our pitching against those with good offense isn't good either.  Add in playoff experience, and it doesn't look as good.

It seriously sounds like you'd enjoy predicting failure more than having the team succeed in the playoffs...

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is a pretty s***ty way to root for a favorite team.  It doesn't even sound fun.

Well, I will say this ...

Ever since May 18 1971 I have learned to hope for the best and prepare for the worst regarding my favorite sports teams.

And yeah, you are absolutely right, sometimes it isn't fun.

I thought for sure the Blackhawks would win the Stanley Cup on that date and I watched it in person that night at the Chicago Stadium. What a bitter pill that was, and what a life lesson I learned at a young age.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
The part of the Patton quote that fits is "I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed" You've prepared yourself for them losing by saying it all year...so when it happens..no big deal.  You have no heart invested in it.

I think they're winners.  They won 80 games and have the best record in the American league....I'm not talking about what they did my whole lifetime...I'm talking about now.  This team has nothing to do with the team 5 years ago, 10 years ago or 80 years ago.  They share the same name...that's it!!

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is a pretty s***ty way to root for a favorite team.  It doesn't even sound fun.

I agree 100%. People bring up, well I feel this way because the Sox haven't won since 1917. So what! 2000 has nothing to do with this year. The Sox have what, 1, maybe 2 players now that they had in 2000. How many do they have from the 1993 team? This is not the same team as past years, so to talk about past seasons is stupid. This year the Sox have won 80 games this quickly, this year the Sox have a 7 game lead in the AL Central, this year the Sox have the best record in the American League, this year the Sox have a great pitching staff. This year the White Sox could win the World Series. People who have the always negative attitude towards this team are crazy.

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
So you go into every game preparing for the Sox to lose?  That sounds pretty boring and negative to me. 

Here's how I see Milkman, fathom and whoever else preaches this attitude when they go to a game.

Hand over ticket to get in park. Walk to the seat. Look at the field. Watch the first pitch and then say....This one's over!! They ain't won in 87 years so why should I think they're going to win this. Let's get outta here.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Here's how I see Milkman, fathom and whoever else preaches this attitude when they go to a game.

Hand over ticket to get in park.  Walk to the seat.  Look at the field.  Watch the first pitch and then say....This one's over!!  They ain't won in 87 years so why should I think they're going to win this.  Let's get outta here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
It seriously sounds like you'd enjoy predicting failure more than having the team succeed in the playoffs...

You and the rest of this board can keep saying that, but it won't make it true. If you want to believe you're a better fan than me, I'll let you.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
You and the rest of this board can keep saying that, but it won't make it true.  If you want to believe you're a better fan than me, I'll let you.

And that's where it should end.

But it wont.

b****, moan, b****, moan....

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
I agree 100%.  People bring up, well I feel this way because the Sox haven't won since 1917.  So what!  2000 has nothing to do with this year.  The Sox have what, 1, maybe 2 players now that they had in 2000.  How many do they have from the 1993 team?  This is not the same team as past years, so to talk about past seasons is stupid.  This year the Sox have won 80 games this quickly, this year the Sox have a 7 game lead in the AL Central, this year the Sox have the best record in the American League, this year the Sox have a great pitching staff.  This year the White Sox could win the World Series.  People who have the always negative attitude towards this team are crazy.

Sounds an awful lot like something a Cub fan would say.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Sounds an awful lot like something a Cub fan would say.

No, it sounds a lot like what any "normal" fan would say. We call that the gambler's fallacy. For example, if red comes up 10 times in a row in roulette, you would be the guy who would bet the house on black on the next spin because it HAS to be black. In actuality, the past spins have ZERO to do with what is going to come up next. Just like the past ten years performance has nothing to do with how the Sox will perform this year. ITS A DIFFERENT TEAM! Oh, please don't accuse me of a having a Cubs mentality. Talk about personal attacks. :D

Edited by bighurt4444

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
You and the rest of this board can keep saying that, but it won't make it true.  If you want to believe you're a better fan than me, I'll let you.

Nope, I don't believe I'm a better anything than anyone else...

I was just making an observation about the ultra-pessimistic Sox fans.

After 20+ years of being of Sox fan, I've been disappointed, heart-brokend, frustrated, pissed-off, etc. More times than not. This year has been an emotional roller coaster. We were seeing this season through rose-colored glasses, not expecting them to fail. I knew that they would go through a slump, but not of this magnitude. Granted, when I'm down on them, I'm down. It shows sometimes in my posts and at home. I'm always saying to the TV, "we'll this one's over" I'm just so used to saying it. I still expect them to make the playoffs, whether or not they'll succeed and standup to the superior teams is another story. See there I go again, not having much faith in them. It's just from being a long time fan.

Here is the logic of the pessimists. If the Sox lose the World Series on a fluke play or an umpire's call in extra innings of Game 7, they'll say ... "See, I told you they couldn't win it all." And they are happy they can say they were right.

If the Sox win it all, they can say "I'll glad eat crow! How 'Bout Dem White Sox!!!!" And they are happy they won.

Pretty f***ing pathetic.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Here is the logic of the pessimists. If the Sox lose the World Series on a fluke play or an umpire's call in extra innings of Game 7, they'll say ... "See, I told you they couldn't win it all." And they are happy they can say they were right.

If the Sox win it all, they can say "I'll glad eat crow!  How 'Bout Dem White Sox!!!!" And they are happy they won.

Pretty f***ing pathetic.

Wasn't sure If I could put it in those terms, but since a moderator said it... :P

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Wasn't sure If I could put it in those terms, but since a moderator said it...    :P

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Hey, I can get suspended as well as you can.

Edited by YASNY