Hurricane Rita.

kapkomet

Well, not to take anything away from the Katrina folks, but the current computer models have what will be a Category 3 or 4 storm hitting Galveston on Friday night. Katrina is a cakewalk when it comes to OIL INDUSTRY if it hits there. There's twice as many refineries and oil facilities in that area.

And, by the way, they are saying that if Rita holds the current path, Dallas/Fort Worth will experience sustained Tropical Storm winds and gusts to hurricane strength because it's supposed to speed up as it gets closer to land here.

It's early, but here we go again.

Better go get the supplies now. :lol:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
I heard Ray Nagin say he's heard a report saying it will head north into Louisiana just east of N'Orleans.

Nearly all of the models are now in agreement that Galveston and Texas City are right in line for a direct hit. They also expect Houston to have widespread damage.

They say 120 mph winds are likely by Thursday and from there they're not sure. The thing is once it gets out over the gulf waters NOT effected by Katrina, it will strengthen just as much as Katrina, I fear.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Nearly all of the models are now in agreement that Galveston and Texas City are right in line for a direct hit.  They also expect Houston to have widespread damage.

They say 120 mph winds are likely by Thursday and from there they're not sure.  The thing is once it gets out over the gulf waters NOT effected by Katrina, it will strengthen just as much as Katrina, I fear.

I doubled down on my Halliburton position as soon as I heard about this. Its already up 3 points and looking higher in the morning again. Look for oil to spike back up to the 70 something level here REAL soon.

The models now have it going a LITTLE further south and then curving up toward just west of Dallas/Fort Worth. If this happens, we get the heaviest of what's left - which means Tropical Storm and Tornadoes.

They keep telling us to expect tropical storm strength winds Saturday night and Sunday morning.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
The models now have it going a LITTLE further south and then curving up toward just west of Dallas/Fort Worth.  If this happens, we get the heaviest of what's left - which means Tropical Storm and Tornadoes.

They keep telling us to expect tropical storm strength winds Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Our local guys are talking about a hit down here as well. It seems as if the entire Texas coastline is probable.

The last one stayed south, if that is repeated, and the weather patterns are similar with the high pressure ridge, I could be in for some wind and rain.

Either way, Kap, it looks like you or me this time.

I was just talking to someone and I said that this thing was going to be a Cat 4 before it's over... maybe even get near a cat 5. If it does that, even us up here better watch out.

Maybe I seriously should go get some more stakes and stuff for the trees. :o

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
For a visual of how fast this thing is blowing up, here is the radar loop.  Look how much bigger, and how much more red there is in Rita, in just the short period of time on the loop  :o This thing is going to be HUGE!

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationa...v=none&pid=none

This thing is going to be huge because it's heading into the same waters that took Katrina from a category 1 to a category 5.

The good news is that with time, it seems like most of the models have shown it starting to drift south, towards the southern part of Texas, and away from the areas that are already reeling. Hopefully no low pressure areas will appear and change that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
This thing is going to be huge because it's heading into the same waters that took Katrina from a category 1 to a category 5.

The good news is that with time, it seems like most of the models have shown it starting to drift south, towards the southern part of Texas, and away from the areas that are already reeling.  Hopefully no low pressure areas will appear and change that.

That's good news, I can hardly contain my excitement

The one that was suppose to hit us, passed south; any bets the one that's suppose to miss us is going to hit us?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
That's good news, I can hardly contain my excitement

The one that was suppose to hit us, passed south; any bets the one that's suppose to miss us is going to hit us?

That one had you guys at the dead center of the track, this time you guys are on the far southern end, but the storm track has been moved about 3 hours south. Whereever it lands, I just hope for the best, because it is blowing up quick. The pressure is dropping, the eye is tightening, and the storm is intensifying, all at an alarming rate. And this is still with a few days until projected landfall. The bullseye seems to be on the Port Lavacca/Victoria Texas area, but if I were anywhere between Port Arthur and South Padre Island, I would be scared out of my mind right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
That one had you guys at the dead center of the track, this time you guys are on the far southern end, but the storm track has been moved about 3 hours south.  Whereever it lands, I just hope for the best, because it is blowing up quick.  The pressure is dropping, the eye is tightening, and the storm is intensifying, all at an alarming rate.  And this is still with a few days until projected landfall.  The bullseye seems to be on the Port Lavacca/Victoria Texas area, but if I were anywhere between Port Arthur and South Padre Island, I would be scared out of my mind right now.

I'm more worried about tonight's game

I always have plenty of survival type stuff on hand because of the camping I do. My water filter is ready to go, plenty of propane and white gas for my stoves, some dehydrated meals, and three white sox fan phone numbers for updates. Hey Kap, remember my cell number if I'm calling, and don't side button me like you usually do :-)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)

I'm more worried about tonight's game

I always have plenty of survival type stuff on hand because of the camping I do. My water filter is ready to go, plenty of propane and white gas for my stoves, some dehydrated meals, and three white sox fan phone numbers for updates. Hey Kap, remember my cell number if I'm calling, and don't side button me like you usually do :-)

Between you and Kap, first one to Michigan City gets the spare bedroom ;)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Between you and Kap, first one to Michigan City gets the spare bedroom ;)

Does the room come with Sox tix?

My parents just left here a couple days ago. I offered to let them stay and experience a hurricane.

I'm thinking of booking a room in Corpus for the weekend. Could be a great show.