All this talk about tickets and memorabilia lately

knightni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
To be honest I have zero knowledge of that.  I have never ever heard of it before.  If you have a link or something I would like to see it.

In fact, Illinois lawmakers this summer made it legal to sell tickets at a profit online, a privilege previously restricted to registered ticket brokers. Essentially, the state gave its blessing to a widespread practice. Apart from online transactions or with a broker, such sales remain illegal scalping.

linky

I had seen it in an old Tribune article but of course they are all archived and you have to pay to read them. The only catch is that I don't know if it's only certain websites (like Ebay or stubhub) that are allowed to do it.

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=1901

In fact, Illinois lawmakers this summer made it legal to sell tickets at a profit online, a privilege previously restricted to registered ticket brokers. Essentially, the state gave its blessing to a widespread practice. Apart from online transactions or with a broker, such sales remain illegal scalping.
Edited by knightni

http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2005/06...et_scalping.php

The bill:

"...does not prohibit a ticket holder from selling a ticket for admission to a baseball game, football game, hockey game, theatre entertainment, or any other amusement for a price more than the price printed on the face of the ticket and for more than the price of the ticket at the box office if the sale is made through an Internet website..."

This all sounds like a great idea! I do however feel that if ticket sales are going to be involved they should be very restrictive on pricing.... basically not as crazy as Brokers.

I have a Dan Hampton Autographed Mini Helmet that I would prefer to trade for other merchandise than sell.

The actual text of the law

There's a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo in there but it looks like the website has to be registered and it may only be limited to auction-style sites...

This Act does not apply to the sale of tickets of admission to a sporting event, theater, musical performance, or  place of public entertainment or amusement of any kind for a price in excess of the printed box office ticket price by a reseller engaged in interstate or intrastate commerce on an Internet auction listing service duly registered with the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation under the Auction License Act and with the Office of the Secretary of State on a registration form provided by that Office.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
They have auctions... or does "based" mean it has to be the majority of the listings?

Well.. we are trying to make heads or tails from the Illinois law.

It infers that auction-based sites are the only ones included in the Illinois ruling on ticket "scalping".

He said that Stubhub was non-auction, so I wondered how they skirted the Illinois law.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
So technically we wouldn't be able to do that right?  Also what are the limits of how much higher you could sell something.

It might take some research to see if Soxtalk could do it or not. I was just aware of the law change.

I know on Ebay you can get whatever amount people are willing to pay. I don't think there's a limit.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
It might take some research to see if Soxtalk could do it or not. I was just aware of the law change.

I know on Ebay you can get whatever amount people are willing to pay. I don't think there's a limit.

Not totally true.

It depends what state the seller is from.

They have disclaimers on ebay that say if you are from "X" state, then you cannot allow a bidder to purchase the ticket for more than the amount/more than 2 times the amount/more than 10% over face value.

It varies.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Interesting.  That would bring on a whole new philosophical debate about whether or not we wanted to use soxtalk to sell tickets about price, which would be totally in Jason's lap.

Personally I wouldn't be a part of it, but that isn't up to me.

I'm with you. I vote nay.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Interesting.  That would bring on a whole new philosophical debate about whether or not we wanted to use soxtalk to sell tickets about price, which would be totally in Jason's lap.

Personally I wouldn't be a part of it, but that isn't up to me.

I hear ya.

I pretty much just wanted a memorabilia/sports card Buy/Sell/Trade area.

However, I included tickets in my idea because of the overwhelming interest in buying, selling and trading tickets lately.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Whoops...

I think that's how they got around the law.

Ticket holders weren't selling the tickets themselves. The ticket brokers who run the website were selling the tickets for them. (For a small fee of course...)

It's actually a pretty good idea and I wish I would have thought of it. Of course I said the same thing about Ebay...

Edited by Iwritecode