Uribe's Catch

Irishsox1

I think they are pretty similar plays. They were both foul balls that the player jumped into the crowd to go after. The difference is that Alou had to jump high to even get in play, while Uribe had a very long run and a short wall to dive over. And of course the biggest diference was Uribe made the catch and Alou missed it and then threw a tantrum.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Actually Uribe's play was more similar to Derek Jeter and David Wright's plays from the past 2 years. The Bartman play really doesn't compare, they were under totally different circumstances.

who cares? i think we should bring up bartman at every opportunity possible so that we can rub our world series in cub fans' faces!

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
who cares? i think we should bring up bartman at every opportunity possible so that we can rub our world series in cub fans' faces!

Personally I don't give a s*** about Bartman but hey some people have hangups. I could care less about Cubs fans, I'm enjoying the Sox right now.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
I've also seen the comments comparing the fans reactions in both situations. Thing is, IMO, I can't blame the Houston fans for not getting in the way. Uribe is a big guy, and if I had him running full steam at me, on a mission, I'm moving WAY out of the way!!!

you think they saw em?

i would have eyes on the ball and at the very least protecting myself from it hitting me

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
I've also seen the comments comparing the fans reactions in both situations. Thing is, IMO, I can't blame the Houston fans for not getting in the way. Uribe is a big guy, and if I had him running full steam at me, on a mission, I'm moving WAY out of the way!!!

On the replays, it looked like Uribe literally had his glove up higher than any of the fans around him. He was literally in good fielding position.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)

Not to mention that the Bartman play completely changed the mentality of fans who are near the field of play. People are very aware now that making an effort to get the ball from a player, even if the fan has the right to the ball, is not tolerated anymore and could get you kicked out of the park. I think fans who are close to the wall now are very aware of foul balls and players trying to get the balls.

I think that Uribes catch and Alou's non-catch arent comparable plays only in the awareness that the common fan has now. Other than that, the circumstances of the play were very similar.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
On the replays, it looked like Uribe literally had his glove up higher than any of the fans around him.  He was literally in good fielding position.

Thats what I thought as well.