Hermanson

BamaDoc

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I would call it chronically injured

seems like different kinds of injuries to me, lower, upper, side. Are we just saying that anywhere in the back makes it chronic? Because then rotator cuff and tommy john surgery would be the same thing since its in the arm.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
seems like different kinds of injuries to me, lower, upper, side.  Are we just saying that anywhere in the back makes it chronic?  Because then rotator cuff and tommy john surgery would be the same thing since its in the arm.

Rock, thats weak and you know it. Every time he has been on the DL, it has been back related. In 2005, he had chronic back problems throughout the year. in 2004, back problems limited his use. Just because it was the left side of his back, does not mean it is not his back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic

In medicine, a persistent and lasting condition is said to be chronic (from Greek chronos). For example, a chronic illness is one that persists for a long time, usually more than three months. By analogy, this adjective has come to describe problems which cannot be solved in a short time, or which will recur regardless of action.

Here, I think, is the simple fact.

Dustin Hermanson was signed in the 2004 offseason for $2 million a year.

Seattle just picked up the option on Everyday Eddie for something like $6 million a year.

If everyone knew Hermanson was able to pitch, he would clearly have significant value on the trade market.

However, there is no reason right now why any team would give us the real quality in a trade that a 35+ save a year guy who's paid only $2 million a year would normally get. Why? The same reason no one will pay for Thome right now - no proof he's healthy.

If you want to trade Dustin for some real quality prospects/players, you have to show the world he's healthy first. Even if it's just for 1 month early next year...if he comes out and pitches well and shows no signs of injury, his value will go through the roof for all thsoe teams Rock listed, if they're anywhere clsoe to the playoff hunt.

But right now, you'd have to trade him for a massive discount...and the downgrade in the bullpen is clearly not worth anything we'd get for him at this poitn.