If the Sox lose Konerko

GoArow33

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
money says you wanted to trade crede for vinny castilla midway through this last season. number crunch that!

You owe me money. I hate Vinny Castilla, and I think he's one of the most overrated players in the majors. I figured at the very least, Castilla may outproduce Crede at about 10 times the cost...not worth trading for him.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
It turned out okay, but you can't keep losing power threats without it catching up to you.

Losing Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Everett, maybe Thomas, hell, let's throw Valentin in there for fun - that's a LOT of pop to lose and only replace with 31 HR from JD and 18 from AJ.

If PK signs elsewhere, it is vital for the Sox to get some power from somewhere, anywhere. Small ball doesn't play well without some sort of power sources, and please forgive me if I don't think Iguchi is the answer in the 3 or 4 slot.

I figure, worst case scenario, the players the Sox bring back put up the same numbers they did this year...Rowand about 15 homers, Iguchi about 15 homers, Uribe about 15, Dye 25-30, Crede about 20, AJP 15-20, etc...at that point, you look to make a move for a big bat around the trade deadline who has some serious power...where you put him becomes an entirely different issue all together.

Best case scenario, you are looking at Rowand bounching back, hitting anywhere from 15-25 homers, Iguchi having a better 2nd year than first putting up 20-25, Uribe becoming slightly more consistent, putting up 20-25 again, Dye remaining the same, Crede jumping up to 25-30, AJP going anywhere from 20-25, with Casey also putting up 15-25 homers(anywhere in that neighborhood). You add those up, and you have power up and down the lineup, instead of concentrated right in the middle, which is much more valuable. That's a little bit like the philosophy the Indians offense is built upon right now...not many teams had their leadoff hitter hit 22 homers and their #9 hitter hit like 25...but that's really just how good the Indians lineup is. Their offense doesn't have the consistency the Sox did I'd assume because they are all quite young and because they just do not have the ability to manufacture runs...or their ability to do so is not nearly as good as the Sox is.

There will be power no matter what route the Sox choose to take. They may not have 1 go to power guy, but there will undoubtedly be power.