Mystery treasure island for sale in Canada

southsider2k5

I remember reading about this when I was a kid. What a bizarre story. Whatever's in the pit is so well protected and hard to get out, I'd think that whatever it was wasn't meant to be retreived. But if not, why not just dump it in the ocean? And who had the time and resource to do all this in the first place? Very, very strange.

Here are some sites I found with more info:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topic...land/story.html

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/theories.htm

QUOTE(KansasSoxFan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
I remember reading about this when I was a kid.  What a bizarre story.  Whatever's in the pit is so well protected and hard to get out, I'd think that whatever it was wasn't meant to be retreived.  But if not, why not just dump it in the ocean?  And who had the time and resource to do all this in the first place?  Very, very strange.

There are sometimes other reasons for why you would want to bury things in a particular spot. Beliefs/religion can be a major motivating factor.

My personal favorite version of that sort of story is the of Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di, the emperor who unified China. It appears that either to protect his burial chamber or as some sort of ritual in the burial, there was an enormous amount of mercury poured out to surround the tomb, maybe even creating a lake/moat originally.

That tomb has never been looted, nor has anyone been able to excavate it, because the mercury content becomes lethally high when Burial chamberyou start digging into the tomb.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
That tomb has never been looted, nor has anyone been able to excavate it, because the mercury content becomes lethally high when Burial chamberyou start digging into the tomb.

I thought there was also some religious reason why people couldnt excatave it. I imagine with the proper protection they could sheld themselves from the Mercury.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:32 AM)
How do you know that he does?

Because she said so on the post that got locked. Just wondering why. I know I piss off a few people, but didn't think I got to anyone that bad, my stuff isn't that good!

See Tex, I had the Monkey on my ignore list, and you go and quote him. Sheesh!

Oh well, could you tell him that it’s “Captain Fact Check” not “Captain Fact-check”?

Actually, at this rate I’m going to be getting a battlefield promotion to Major Fact Check, so it probably doesn’t matter. Nevermind.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:33 AM)
It's obvious what's at the bottom of that pit.  The Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail and King Arthur's Excaliber.

I know you're being sarcastic, but can you imagine what it would be like if something like that was discovered there? I don't know anything about buried treasure, but I read all of these links, and it seems that all of this was a little too elaborate for just some treasure buried by a pirate or something. It really seems like it's something important down there.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Because she said so on the post that got locked.  Just wondering why.  I know I piss off a few people, but didn't think I got to anyone that bad, my stuff isn't that good!

Ah, gotcha.

Last year sometime Rolling Stone had a big spread on the island with lots of detailed pictures and stories about the various groups that tried to find the treasure. They had some pretty detailed maps of the known tunnels and traps, and of the things they pulled up when they tried to drill. If you can find it, it is a good read.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I know you're being sarcastic, but can you imagine what it would be like if something like that was discovered there?  I don't know anything about buried treasure, but I read all of these links, and it seems that all of this was a little too elaborate for just some treasure buried by a pirate or something.  It really seems like it's something important down there.

It could just be natural rock formations that cause the flooding, and not some elaborate digging. This is an interesting critical read.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020806031222/...ltes/oakisland/

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
It could just be natural rock formations that cause the flooding, and not some elaborate digging.  This is an interesting critical read.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020806031222/...ltes/oakisland/

That's a good article. It gives alternative explanations to almost all of the theories and such about the island. One thing it didn't mention, though, was the wooden platforms that were in the hole. I could've read something wrong, though. Maybe those platforms were put there by the excavators?

Still, this is really interesting. They should just find some crazy old millionaire and have him fund a complete excavation of the island. I mean just basically dig up everything and destroy the island if they want it that badly.