Democrats Losing Race For Funds Under Dean

Texsox

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
Americans love to give money to religious causes because it makes them feel good about themselves.  So when one party aligns themselves more or less with those causes & those institutions Americans are more likely to feel good about themselves when supporting them.

Sadly, he's pretty much right on with this statement.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Anyone worried that the GOP has so many IOUs out there from campaign contributors?

This is one of the reasons I became a Democrat first...but trouble is...both parties have plenty of IOU's coming from campaign contributors. Tons of them. Stacks miles high. Hell, one Republican congressman from California has snuck a provision into the Budget bill which would allow the government to sell off about 5 million acres of public land to oil, gas, and mining companies at virtually no cost. That doesn't happen for no reason.

I don't know that it'd be constitutional...but I'd be fully in favor of some sort of public financing system for campaigns, even if it had to be created constitutionally.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
This is one of the reasons I became a Democrat first...but trouble is...both parties have plenty of IOU's coming from campaign contributors.  Tons of them.  Stacks miles high.  Hell, one Republican congressman from California has snuck a provision into the Budget bill which would allow the government to sell off about 5 million acres of public land to oil, gas, and mining companies at virtually no cost.  That doesn't happen for no reason.

I don't know that it'd be constitutional...but I'd be fully in favor of some sort of public financing system for campaigns, even if it had to be created constitutionally.

FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH...

I said it wasn't constitutional didn't I?

Look, my point is very simple...any situation where you have to rely on politicians bringing in their own money from outside sources to finance campaigns, you have the situation where either the politicians most willing to help the richest sources find themselves elected, or the politicians make deals to help out the richest sources, to the detriment of just about everyone else.

I'd be willing to give up my right to advertise on TV for a politician if I could strip everyone else of that right too.

:lol: Balta... I hear what you're saying, and I agree. The campaign financing is the heart and soul of what's wrong with our government today. That's why it's so corrupt is because money and greed and power are all bastardized to keep control of their precious "clout".

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
:lol:  Balta... I hear what you're saying, and I agree.  The campaign financing is the heart and soul of what's wrong with our government today.  That's why it's so corrupt is because money and greed and power are all bastardized to keep control of their precious "clout".

hmmm, who has all the power and money? Maybe we all need to vote DEM and start to even some stuff out again? Except for DeLay - Frist 2008

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
hmmm, who has all the power and money? Maybe we all need to vote DEM and start to even some stuff out again? Except for DeLay - Frist 2008

Um...I think that at least 1 of those 2 has quite the (quasi-legal to extremely illegal) money machine around them...

And the other one would better serve humanity if he could put his magical skills at deducing the conditions of patients through edited TV clips to use in helping cure the sick and infirm.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Um...I think that at least 1 of those 2 has quite the (quasi-legal to extremely illegal) money machine around them...

And the other one would better serve humanity if he could put his magical skills at deducing the conditions of patients through edited TV clips to use in helping cure the sick and infirm.

Maybe DeLay - Chaney or DeLay - Rove :bang since we can't seem to get Jeb off his ass and run.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Maybe DeLay - Chaney or DeLay - Rove  :bang since we can't seem to get Jeb off his ass and run.

And interestingly...when you punch those names on your ballot...if you then take that ballot into a church...it will immediately wither and fall to the floor as a pile of ash.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
This is one of the reasons I became a Democrat first...but trouble is...both parties have plenty of IOU's coming from campaign contributors.  Tons of them.  Stacks miles high.  Hell, one Republican congressman from California has snuck a provision into the Budget bill which would allow the government to sell off about 5 million acres of public land to oil, gas, and mining companies at virtually no cost.  That doesn't happen for no reason.

I'd try to argue that it is almost more unconsititutional to have a dollar vote decide our campaign cycle, vs one person-one voice-one vote. The system we have now denies the poor people any "free speech" because they don't have the means to engage in the speech that PACs and multimillionaires have. Does the campaign system we have truely reflect free speech if there is an entire sector socioeconomically that has no voice?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
I'd try to argue that it is almost more unconsititutional to have a dollar vote decide our campaign cycle, vs one person-one voice-one vote.  The system we have now denies the poor people any "free speech" because they don't have the means to engage in the speech that PACs and multimillionaires have.  Does the campaign system we have truely reflect free speech if there is an entire sector socioeconomically that has no voice?

100% in agreement. No person, PAC, or industry should be able to buy themeslves or theyr guy into elected office.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
100% in agreement.  No person, PAC, or industry should be able to buy themeslves or theyr guy into elected office.

Interesting statement. Just this moring in my email box at work, I got a "membership letter" for a PAC. Oh, what to do, what to do... ;)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Interesting statement.  Just this moring in my email box at work, I got a "membership letter" for a PAC.  Oh, what to do, what to do... ;)

I think PACs are useful and constitutionally protected entities, and that goes for all sides, don't get me wrong. They should not be allowed to be financial determinants of election outcomes though. How to regulate them and reform how/if they can finance candidates, on the other hand, I have no idea.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I think PACs are useful and constitutionally protected entities, and that goes for all sides, don't get me wrong.  They should not be allowed to be financial determinants of election outcomes though.  How to regulate them and reform how/if they can finance candidates, on the other hand, I have no idea.

Maybe I should sign up for the info material and report back? Would that be a good idea just so we can all learn about it?