Thomas Opts For Free Agency (Old Thread from 2002)

Chisoxfn

Thomas Opts For Free Agency

By: Mario Scalise

Step 3 of this long process has become official. Frank Thomas informed the White Sox today that he will exercise his part of the "diminished skills" contract and test the free agent market.

The clause, which became offical today but announced two weeks ago, allows the Sox to defer close to 10 million a year (leaving Thomas near league minimum) for the remainder of Thomas' contract if he does not: make it to the all star team, win a silver slugger award, or finish in the top 15 in AL MVP voting. Thomas' contract runs through 2006. The remaining salary - estimated at close to $40 million - would be given to Thomas over the next 20 years, according to MLB sources.

Despite the decision, both sides remain optimistic that a new deal can be to keep Thomas in a White Sox uniform.

"We have had some very positive conversations over the past two weeks," Tellem said. "The White Sox have expressed their interest in retaining Frank, and we will continue to hold discussions with the Sox even while we are evaluating other options for Frank."

GM Kenny Williams, who has been quiet on the issue, said that the move came by no 'suprise' and how he would like to see Thomas return under a new contract.

"To that end, we have had several positive discussions with Arn over the past weeks and plan to continue those discussions during Frank's free agency window."

Thomas has a reported 45 days to test the market before returning to the Sox. Thomas, 34, batted a career-low .252 with 28 homers and 92 RBI in 2002.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well in case you missed this article today.. they no longer call it the dsc... its now the rpr.....another tap dance by kenny williams i see... for someone whos trying to keep it on the quiet he just couldnt wait to burst into his goodbye frank speach huh???? read the following article....as much as i hate to see frank leave here and be stuck with lee as our dh i sure do hope he gets an awesome offer and it kicks jerrys ass everytime he comes to town to kick ours..........

Thomas to test the open market

By Damon P. Young / MLB.com

Frank Thomas hit just .239 over the first half of the 2002 season but hit .359 in September. (Steve Matteo/AP)

CHICAGO -- Designated hitter Frank Thomas has informed the Chicago White Sox that he will exercise his contractual right to become a conditional free agent.

This does not, however, mean the end of the Frank Thomas era in Chicago, it is simply the next step in the process began when the White Sox invoked the "diminished skills" clause in his contract on Oct. 6. Thomas has until Dec. 7 to test free agency and sign with another club. If he has not signed with another time by then, he will return to the White Sox.

"Frank Thomas is one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "We appreciate all Frank has accomplished for the White Sox over the last 13 seasons. To date, we have refrained from making any public comment on the matter, but thought it was necessary at this time to publicly reiterate to Frank what he has meant to the organization and express our hope that when all is said and done, he chooses to remain a member of the White Sox."

Under the multiyear deal he signed in 1997, Thomas had the right to declare free agency if the White Sox invoked the revised payment right -- or "dimished skills" -- clause in contract. By invoking the clause, the Sox can reduce Thomas' 2003 salary to as little as $250,000, deferring the rest of the slugger's $10.375 million guaranteed salary.

"We have had some very positive conversations over the past two weeks," said Arn Tellem, Thomas's representative. "The White Sox have expressed their interest in retaining Frank, and we will continue to hold discussions with the Sox even while we are evaluating other options for Frank."

Thomas, the franchise's all-time home run (376) and RBI (1,285) leader, batted .252 with 25 home runs and 92 RBI in 148 games in 2002. He is a lifetime .314 batter and has posted a .432 career on-base percentage and .568 slugging percentage, both franchise bests.

"Although we are not surprised that Frank exercised his right to shop his services on the open market, and we understand there is a risk that he might find a more attractive offer elsewhere, we remain hopeful that we can reach some sort of agreement that would keep Frank with the White Sox," Williams said. "To that end, we have had several positive discussions with Arn over the past weeks and plan to continue those discussions during Frank's free agency window."

Whatever the solution, the ramifications will undoubtedly affect the rest of the roster.

Guest hotsoxchick1

and yet another backpedal from kenny williams.....the focus is on team work... well how can you have team work when day to day everyone is wondering if they have a job or not....i think that what everyone keeps missing here is the underlaying point... maggs, mark, and paulie are all due to make more money in the next few years... will they have to go through the same treatment that frank is going through now? does any of them have some type of clause in their contracts which provide the sox leverage if in fact an injury does effect their play? maggs with his wrists and back due to make 14 mil in the next few seasons... will he be treated with the same respect frank is curently being treated with when it comes his time to either play through injury or move on for the sox to save a few bucks???? just more food for thought for you guys and gals to ponder.....as things stand right now though i see no foward direction of this team... just the same ol mediocre ho hum we have had the past two seasons.........and another lie of kennys to point out right here in this article.. read twards the bottom where it states him and frank needing to free up money for a decient #2... wasnt kennys stance he was NOT going to get or make any moves for next year???? i dont believe a word he says till i see him put them into action.....he retracts too much and restates things later on to suite his needs at the time.........

Sox looking for more teamwork

By Damon P. Young / MLB.com

Frank Thomas hit just .239 over the first half of the 2002 season but hit .359 in September. (Steve Matteo/AP)

CHICAGO -- Whether Frank Thomas dons a White Sox uniform or that of another team when the 2003 season begins seemingly depends on the slugger's willingness to put aside his superstar status and the willingness of another owner to assume his hefty price tag.

Ken Williams, senior vice president and general manager, insisted more than once Monday that he would like, and expects, to see Thomas, the club's lone free agent, return to the White Sox. But he also noted that while the organization would "miss his presence ... we are prepared at this point to turn the page," with a desire to create a greater focus on team unity that was evident in Anaheim's just-completed championship run.

Thomas, who has played all of his 13 big-league seasons on Chicago's south side, has elected to shop his talent to baseball's other 29 clubs as a conditional free agent. The DH exercised his right to test the free agent market only after the White Sox invoked a "revised payment right" clause -- also known as a "diminished skills clause" -- in his contract. He has until Dec. 7 to sign with another club or re-sign with the White Sox.

Thomas is guaranteed more than $40 million over the final four years of his contract through 2006, but the Sox would like to defer a larger portion of his $10 million annual salary. The club could pay Thomas as little as $300,000 next season, but Williams acknowledged that paying the two-time MVP the league's new minimum salary was not a realistic solution.

Frank Thomas / DH

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 275

Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:

Player page

Stats

Hit chart

whitesox.com

Williams did not comment on the negotiations but reports have indicated the Sox would like to pay Thomas approximately $5 million in salary next year, deferring the rest. The general manager also would not discuss whether his talks with Thomas' agent, Arn Tellem, include more than the 2003 season.

Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, assistant general manager Rick Hahn and Williams are all involved in the current negotiations.

Willliams refused to call out Thomas for not being a team player, but made it clear that he has talked to Thomas and other players about his concerns.

"The one thing we have to emphasize here ... is that this is not a one-man show," Williams said. "And I'm not talking about the White Sox at this point. The game of baseball is a team game, in its highest form really. (Frank Thomas) the baseball player is one that obviously should be respected with all that he's accomplished. (Frank Thomas) the man has some work to do to fit into what we're trying to accomplish here. If he chooses to stay, if he chooses to fit in to what our idea of team play and team unity are, great, we can use that man and that player. But, if you get one without the other, I'm not sure we're any better off.

"We are trying to stress that this team heading into 2003 will sink or swim based on the drive, determination and attitude of the entire club as a whole and whether each player is willing to sacrifice himself for the team concept. With that said, if Frank can fall in line with what we're trying to do, then we'd all be better off and a better team for it."

Media, fans and teammates criticized Thomas, who was visibly absent from the bench on occasion during games this past season, for not being a team player. He arrived late to Comiskey Park on at least one occasion after being benched by manager Jerry Manuel and then, laying blame for the criticism on the media, boycotted the local media during the final weeks of the season.

"At this point in time, everyone on this club has got to take some strides in that area," Williams said. "We've got some guys doing it in a better way than others, no doubt about that. We're very happy with particularly the way the club played once the changeover occurred during the season with some of the young players and their willingness to do some of these things along with some of the veterans. Guys like Paul Konerko, Magglio (Ordonez), Carlos (Lee), they've never been shy about moving runners, about sacrificing themselves for the team. If we can get, not just Frank, but everybody that puts on a Chicago White Sox uniform, to adopt that attitude we're going to be better.

"What I feel very sure of is that these things are important -- heart, character, desire, determination -- all the characteristics you can see in the (World Champion) Angels this year. ... You cannot ignore them and they will not be ignored here. Occasionally, if we have to make a decision here or there, where we're basing our decision upon taking more character with us and maybe sacrificing on the pure talent end of things, so be it."

A promising start in 2002 for the Sox quickly faded as the potentially explosive offense suddenly became inconsistent and the starting pitching, except All-Star southpaw Mark Buehrle, failed to live up to expectations.

With the division race all but conceded to the Minnesota Twins at the All-Star Break, Williams shuffled the Major League roster, unloading high-priced veterans Kenny Lofton, Ray Durham, Sandy Alomar, Jr. and Bobby Howry at the July 31 trade deadline in favor of Willie Harris, Joe Crede, Joe Borchard and Miguel Olivo.

Infusing the clubhouse with a new energy, the youngsters, and the team as a whole, played better over the second half of the season, giving Williams, the organization and fans something to look forward to in 2003.

Now it's up to Williams -- and Thomas -- to free up some cash to help the club obtain a No. 2 starter and retain the core of players seen as the future of the organization, including Buehrle and Konerko.

"I like this particular club," said Williams. "I like the way they go about their business. I like the talent level combined with the baseball savvy, knowledge of the game, by some of these young guys. There's a lot to like. I'm not looking to make any wholesale changes.

Williams indicated he telephoned Thomas last week but Thomas, who was apparently out of town, has not yet returned his call.

"When he does, we'll get to the heart of the matter. He will know he has a home and that he has been appreciated here over the years."

Guest hotsoxchick1

watch boston get him and when we could have gotten something for him we will now be stuck with a big bill instead.......f*** kenny williams and f*** reinsdork for this one.... i hope it goes so far up their asses that it pops out of their heads.............the total ream job........:****

Guest hotsoxchick1

i guess the point i missed making here is that it is kw who wants frank out of here so badly it hurts him.... we could have gotten something for him a while back and now all were going to get is a bill......if kw would take a chill pill and worry about things like getting us a decient pitcher to help out and not focus so much on how he can drive frank out of chicago we probably would be better off.....frank gets money either way so i dont know what kenny thinks hes going to save in the long run when it comes down to money.........it aint much if any at all when its all said and done.........i am aware that jr nixed the frank deal a while back and that was due to many stockholders and valued season ticket holders having a conversation behind closed doors with jr himself and no kenny present at that meeting.............

Does anyone know how much say the other owners have?

I'm kind of curious. I mean wouldn't some of them speak up and tell Jerry to spend some more money and then maybe they'd pay a little more or are they all silent guys that let JR run the show?

Also, how much of the team does Jerry own?

Guest hotsoxchick1

jerry has the final say when it comes to the team matters.. the silent partners are not involved in the day to day routines of the team .......most of them are in the form of stockholders, (investors) and personal friends of jerry........but the jerry of late has let kenny run wild with a few things here and there and its getting out of hand.. he really needs to take back the reigns and control of whats going on before its too late...........

• 1 year later...
Yeah,it's not like Jerry to let popular players go.If Hurt and Maggs walk,Kenny better get some damn good pitching!! :fthecubs  :fthecubs

$8 million option for next season for a DH, no way Frank doesn't exercise it. Kenny has nothing to do with it, its up to Frank at $8 million. If Frank declines that, then he is as good as gone. No way he gets $10 million (IIRC) as a full time DH, JMHO.